Splinter Cell, Far Cry 2 designer departs from Ubisoft

Tuesday, 4th May 2010 04:46 GMT By Nathan Grayson

farcry2a8

In an industry that’s been rife with departures as of late, Ubisoft Montreal’s loss of precisely one employee may not seem like that big of a deal.

But believe us when we say the publisher has some very big shoes to fill.

To put things in perspective, Clint Hocking’s first step onto the big stage of game development was the original Splinter Cell. He was also instrumental in Far Cry 2′s evolution from kitschy island shoot ‘em up to Heart of Darkness-inspired jungle, er, shoot ‘em up. He posted a farewell message on his blog, but in case you choke up during long goodbyes, here’s the gist of it:

“I am too comfortable. I am too content. And I know where that can lead for me,” he explained.

“Fortunately, for the first time in my life, I know the way forward. The way forward lies in my having the courage that I did not know I had a decade ago to bid farewell to those tragically comforting habits. I need to walk on hot coals and sleep on a bed of nails. I need to chew on broken glass. I need to drink paint. This post has gotten long enough and I am still afraid to come to the point, but what I really need more than anything is to write these words: I gave notice of my resignation to Ubisoft on Monday, April 26th, 2010.”

It takes some serious guts to walk away from a cushy seat atop the Ubisoft empire. We wish Hocking the best of luck, and can’t wait to see what he brings to the table next.

Also, FYI, we hear that Respawn Entertainment is hiring. Just sayin’.

1. mescalineeyes

god, I hated Far Cry 2 with a passion.

2. Gheritt White

Hocking is one of the best game designers in the world right now, the way he looks at games is incredibly insightful. Whoever he ends up working with/for will be very lucky indeed.

3. TheDifficult3rdAlbum

god, I loved Far Cry 2 with a passion.

4. Erthazus

Far Cry 2 is shit, i hope he will never find a job in the gaming industry again.

And the last Splinter Cell:conviction is for the little European-American kindergarten level.

5. mington

god, i’m indifferent towards Far Cry 2 with a passion.

6. tont

Clint Hocking is either A) a genius who’s best work is tragically hampered by corporate wrangling or B) Incredibly misguided in the the extreme. Far Cry 2 mixed pure amazing with fucking awful in a truly unique, incredibly stupid blend.

7. Patrick Garratt

It’s amazing how strongly Far Cry 2 polarises people. I really loved it, personally.

8. Gheritt White

From a pure design perspective, it’s magnificent.

9. G1GAHURTZ

It never looked half way decent enough for me to take CoD4 out of my 360 and bother trying it.

10. tont

@ Gherrit – I’d say that in pure design terms, offering no meta-currency or meta-reward for having to clear the ever-respawning checkpoints is a massive design blunder. Add to that the punitive ‘wear-and-tear’ rates on the guns with no option for maintenance (most notably the dart rifle, which dies after three reloads), the unecessary load-out restrictions and the awful in-game economy and you have a very restrictive and artificial gameworld masquerading as open and naturalistic. Not what I’d call magnificent by a lonnnnggggg shot.

11. Erthazus

@8 from a pure design perspective it’s just awful. Thank god you are not a game designer, because if i would play another game with this design i swear, i could quit gaming.
    I finished Far Cry 2 on my PC and i was pissed off by it. Everything what this game tried was wrong.

Stupid Missions, stupid respawning checkpoints, absolutely boring story, awful in game economy.

Thats just bad. Bad… BAD.

12. ninjanutta

it was that BAD you spent 30 odd hours completing it?

13. Erthazus

@12 30 hours? I finished it for 15-16 hours.

14. Gheritt White

@ 10: All valid points and I don’t disagree – to my mind, though, Hocking is still way ahead in his thinking than most others out there, principally because he doesn’t approach titles from an iterative perspective, or even an evolutionary one – I think his ideas tend to be bold and completely fresh, even if the final implementation doesn’t allow for a smooth gameplay experience.

Also, this… but that’s completely unrelated..

15. DaMan

I hated FC2.

16. tont

So Gherrit, tell us again why FC2 is magnificent? Because Clint has a special ‘approach’?

17. YoungZer0

@4: Wow, you’re a complete retard. You should never wish that people don’t get a job. Especially someone as talented as him.

Also: What is a “European-American kindergarten level”? I’m sorry, but i don’t speak retardish, could you explain it to me? Have you even played it? I doubt it. Have you read the article? Doubt that too, because it says that he was responsible for the first Splinter Cell. Not Conviction.

18. Erthazus

@17 Are you stupid? Where i wished to him that he must not find a job? I said that i hope that he will NEVER find a job in the GAMING INDUSTRY and will find something that he is better at. Gaming industry is not for him. Imho.

Have i played Far Cry 2? Yes i played it and finished that piece of trash with stupid missions (where you need to shoot everyone in one location, except the OK mission on ship, still, even there you need to shoot everything), where you have after 1-2 hours of playing some stupid diarrhea because of Malaria. Do you know, when you are going to Africa you need to go to see a doctor and make a vaccination from the Malaria and e.t.c.? + with stupid respawn places where terrorists attack you everywhere without any reason, with stupid in-game economy.
    Don’t try to be a smart guy, yes i played it and wasted money on Steam.

Article says about the *Original* Splinter Cell game and you know what? If it was a first game, it’s still not great. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a brilliant game, but thats just another story.

Yes, he is not talented at all. Thank you. Bye.