Sony: Bungie/Activision deal is “great news for all gamers”

Thursday, 29th April 2010 17:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps3slim

Sony’s said in a statement that today’s announcement of Bungie’s new ten-year deal to have its new IP published by Activision on various platforms as “great news for gamers”.

“This is great news for all gamers,” said SCEA comms boss Patrick Seybold. “When Bungie’s amazing talent and creative minds are unleashed and married with the incredible power of PlayStation 3, amazing things will happen. Ultimately, as a gamer, if you want the best content available from the industry’s most renowned developers, today’s announcement further signifies that PlayStation 3 will be the only place to get it.”

It further reads: “With last years amazing and award winning PS3 titles, to the roadmap and surprises we have for this year, the momentum for PS3 and PSN continues. I think I speak for everyone, when I say I can’t wait to learn about this new IP and world that Bungie is creating.”

Bungie hasn’t formally announced what platforms it’s coming to other than stating it’s a multiplatform game.

Any announcements on platforms may be made at E3 in June, which the developer’s Brian Jarrard told us earlier today in an interview that it might just show up at the event.

Microsoft’s already told us its partnership with the studio on all things Halo “remains unaffected”.

Thanks, G4.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Bungie developing for PS3? Cool!

2. G1GAHURTZ

You could do ‘MASSIVE DAMAGE’ with that ‘INCREDIBLE POWER’!

3. Tallon 4

Sony is having a party right now.
    The developer that made me and millions buy the xbox ( HALO CE )is going third party.

Dunno what MS was thinking, but this seems like a major mistake to me. What AAA-developer is left for MS?

4. V_Ben

Yeah, sony must be pretty pleased at the moment.

5. Anders

“What AAA-developer is left for MS?”

Rare and Lionhead springs to mind. Then again, they are both owned by Microsoft.

6. Razor

Why are Sony so pleased? Whatever Bungie creates, it’s hardly going to be Halo-big IMO.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Sony will probably look at the fact that Halo Reach will probably outsell every single ‘award winning’ PS3 title launched this year combined, in a fraction of the time, and feel very pleased indeed to have an IP which is potentially as big.

8. Tallon 4

@5: I meant AAA….not A :)

Come on..we both know that RARE is not even close anymore. Lionhead is kinda great. But I can’t imagine anyone buying a console for Fable 3. I have more faith in Remedy, but it takes ages for them to release a game.

When most friends asked me why I owned a 360 besides the PS3, my answer always was….because of HALO. And now Bungie left…

9. Razor

Yeah, but Halo ain’t going anywhere. Although they will be question marks about the next Halo game.

10. reask

It is great news for gamers I reckon.
    On the other hand I reckon Sony need to get there marketing house in order rather than good games.

Before I get lashed for been an xbot I say that with sincerity and nothing else.
    The bollox should have been marketed out of GOW 3 UC 2 and others which are great games.

Look at SC conviction 2 weeks at no 1 in UK charts.
    GOW 3 only lasted 1 week.

Compare sales of Gears 2 to UC 2 and there is no comparison.
    For some reason MS seem to get it right when pushing there exclusives and I personally think Sony need to take a leaf out of there book.

11. Herlock

Sony has welcomed Bungie’s official move to multiplatform development – suggesting its new IP could become ‘Halo on steroids’ on PS3.

Maybe Sony know the games made on their dev kit…

12. Benjo1981

If we assume that the new IP is going to be on at least the 360 and PS3, then why are Sony so pleased? From current memory, excluding FF13, all major third-party multi-platform games sell better on 360. Add in the fact that Bungie is associated with MS/360 and it all equals no reason for Sony to be crowing.

Why are they even commenting?!

13. Goliath

The success of Halo is setting this new IP up for failure. Seriously, I hope this new IP lives up to the hype.

14. Khanivor

I think it’s safe to say that unless it’s not coming out until the next gen and that next gen is architecturally way different than this that Bungie’s new game will not lead on the Playstation.

15. Gekidami

Why would it come out next gen yet have a chance of appearing at this years E3? Use your noggin.

16. Erthazus

You know, i’m really interested now in new IP. I really want them to make a multiplatform game.

Halo is fucking overrated and it’s still interesting if they can make another overrated product but multiplatform now and sell GAZZILIONS of copies.

17. The Hindle

They are commenting because they have just nabbed Microsofts biggest jewel in thier crown so to speak.

18. sennasnit

@GIGAHURTZ

I think if they get around to releasing GT5 this year, it could be close, Halo is not the sales force it used to be.

19. The Hindle

Yea Gt 5 should outsell any Halo game released so far, i dont get how it does it but that franchise is massive.

20. Quiiick

@ #12 (Benjo1981)

Yes, in absolute numbers most major third-party multi-platform games HAVE SOLD better on 360. But keep in mind that Sony entered this console-generation 1 (Europe 1,5) year(s) later than Microsoft and lots of these games had a better attach rate on PS3, AFAIK. Today, PS3 & 360 are only separated by about 5 million consoles worldwide, so things will change in this regard.

21. onyxbox

The Halo games have been ‘good’ games IMO but not fantastic games. The reason everyone went nutts over it was because it was the only decent game on the XBox 1 for about a year and the that’s it… oh and MS marketed the f’ck out of it.

I’m sure the new IP will be interesting and I’m now more interested in what that is than ‘another’ halo game.

22. polygem

it is indeed great news for sony…but still – i don´t want to bash the glorious ps3 here – shooters are way more fun on the 360 imo – i just can´t stand the dual shock for shooters. sony please fix that!