New Halo Reach shots blow our minds

Friday, 16th April 2010 12:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Reach 3

Halo: Reach is looking awesome, going by these multiplayer shots. And we do mean ‘properly awesome’.

Get them over at 1UP, where the site’s gone live with a massive hands-on of the multiplayer beta you’ll be getting your hands on in two-and-a-half weeks.

The preview mentions four new modes for the full thing, featuring Headhunter, Stockpile, Generator Defense and Invasion. It looks properly mental, so give it a look.

Halo: Reach releases this fall for Xbox 360, with a multiplayer beta due to kick off two-and-a-half weeks from now on May 3.

Bungie’s saying you should all look forward to E3 when they show off the game. And look forward to it, we shall.

1. Redh3lix

Not that it’s a bad thing in any way, but everytime I look at this game it soooo reminds me of Battlefield 2142, what with character modeling and colour pallete.

BF2142:

vs Halo Rach:

BF2142:

Halo Reach:

2. loki

@1 please fuck off with you peace off crap named BF2142

3. Redh3lix

@2 Seriously, “with you peace off”…. please go back to school :/

4. Gheritt White

Oh god, I am so pumped for this game.

5. Windsmeare

All this talk about Halo, and not enough talk about midgets!

6. Erthazus

@1 If you ask me, it reminds me of Unreal Tournament 2004 that i played at 2004.
    I can’t understand how people pumped about this. M$ PR brainwashing machine? Maybe.

The most funniest thing that multiplayer new mods are Straight from the UT2004.

Just look at this:

Even design is superior. It’s a 2004 year start of the UE 2.5 engine.

7. El_MUERkO

the doesn’t look awesome at all, it looks dated

8. Psychotext

I haven’t played any multiplayer games in a long time, but I’m really looking forward to this.

9. mington

with all the new gimmicks and features i feel like this is the game halo 3 should have been, yes get excited about the graphics, but in terms of gameplay they are a couple of years behind

we should of got this game 2 years ago (albeit lesser graphics)

we should be getting the halo/xbox equivalent of MAG

10. Dralen

Looks nice, but I still feel this is what Halo 3 should have looked like. I’ll see how I feel after I’ve played the beta, since I’m pretty certain now that reviews are not to be trusted when it comes to the Halo franchise.

11. Gekidami

“yes get excited about the graphics”

*Looks at screenshots*
    *re-reads that line*
    *looks at screenshots again*

:S

But i agree, H3 really didnt do much to advance the serie’s multiplayer. Whats being brought to the table in Reach should have happened in H3.

“I’m pretty certain now that reviews are not to be trusted when it comes to the Halo franchise.”

Indeed, i cant believe the scores H3 picked up.

12. mington

@11 i didn’t bother looking at the screen shots, i just didn’t want to anger an halo fanboys so i thought i better add the graphics would be nicer :)

i just want to see huge scale maps with massive amounts of enemies, then i’ll think about raising an eyebrow

13. mington

Halo has a face for radio

hey that rhymes :)

14. OlderGamer

I don’t know Halo seems dated on a lot of levels to me.

I want squads, classes, custimization, different kits/perks/unlocks/upgrades. No it doesn’t have to be Mag/BFBC2/MW2, but games like Halo are far too arcade like and shallow for my liking.

Used to be alright, now its just Meh.

15. Erthazus

@14 Actually it was always MEH… People just started to realize that when they see really good games on consoles.

Back in the day when i played a LOT at the PC and not so much at the consoles, Halo even at that time was outdated compared to any PC FPS.

It’s just now when everybody (TOP tier developers) seriously switched to consoles, they started to develop seriously for the consoles and result is here. Halo was never something special at all.

16. Petulant Radish

It was to me! I’ve never, ever played games on a PC so consoles are all I have. I like Halo, I’m looking forward to this, so sue me!

17. mojo

nothing better then cs.

18. Gheritt White

I won’t even be playing this for the MP – I want to get stuck into the campaign!

19. mington

yeah the campaign, i wonder what the evil turkeys are up to this time

Quake 2 changed me life!

20. The Hindle

I saw an advertisement in a magazine that said remember the Alamo, Remember Waterloo and then remember Reach. Thats the reason i cant get exclited about Halo its just overhyped to hell.

21. Gekidami

Spoiler:
    The Covenant win.

22. The Hindle

:D im wondering if this is going to recieve the same levels as success as Halo 3 though as Halo Odst and Halo Wars has according to some sites and fans watered down the franchise. Am i right in saying that? The irony of it is that its looking like it could be the best one.

23. Gheritt White

@ 15: I take it you must have played Marathon then, because before Halo, motion trackers/sensors were virtually unheard of.

Let’s not forget that Halo introduced re-chargeable shields – it was all health packs and/or percentages before then.

Plus, it was the first FPS to limit your weapon load-out – before Halo, you could carry all the game’s weapons simultaneously. This had an effect on your battle tactics. Plus, what about sticky grenades? Never done before Halo.

Also, Halo was the first game that let you approach the same battle in a multitude of completely different ways. Just look at the non-linearity of The Silent Cartographer, or how you approach the Pyramid in Assault on the Control Room (do you snipe from either above or below, storm it or use a vehicle?).

I appreciate that you might not like Halo – we’re all entitled to our opinions – but let’s not re-write history.

EDIT: Oh and how about having AI drivers/gunners for the Warthog? Another brand-new feature. Being able to swap weapons with your AI squad-mates? Again, completely new. I expect I could go on…

24. mington

…and it was the first game that made me organism. Plus, throw up and shit at the same time.

25. Erthazus

@23 and what? This makes Halo: Combat Evolved a great game? Nope, it doesn’t. Everything else is flopped and just bad compared to Unreal or Half-Life. It’s just boring. Some interesting ideas don’t make Halo a great FPS. first of all Game must entertain you and this is what this game don’t do and never did.

Halo was seriously boring. I liked only AI. It was interesting to play with them at that time, but one slice of pie among shit is not great.

26. Gheritt White

Halo:CE wasn’t *just* full of brand new innovative ideas – its strength lay in how it took existing concepts, and either improved them, simplified them, or in some cases turned them on their head.

Here, I found a full a list:

- A two-weapon limit forcing the players to utilize the weaponry at hand.
    - A smaller number of total weapons in the game made each weapon unique and usable in different situations.
    - Vehicles in the game, both in single-player campaign and multiplayer.
    - Motion tracking sensor.
    - Intelligent friendly and enemy A.I.

There you go. So it really isn’t fair *at all* to say that “Halo was never something special at all” or that “at that time [it] was outdated compared to any PC FPS”.

As for whether or not you found it boring, that’s personal preference and I’m not going to codemn or condone you for your personal tastes.

27. Petulant Radish

I found it very exciting indeed.

28. Erthazus

***
    - A two-weapon limit forcing the players to utilize the weaponry at hand.
    - Grenades mapped to the left trigger, instead of being forced to use them like a weapon. This sped up combat, and made for more dynamic battles with a greater emphasis on terrain. ***

Ok awesome. But this makes game great? NOPE. It doesn’t

***- Large open levels that conveyed a sense of scale instead of a small linear paths.***

Large open levels that looks like shit. Landscapes with 0 level design. sometimes it felt like you are playing pre-alpha version and they are doing this gigantium formula for every Halo.

***- Vehicles in the game, both in single-player campaign and multiplayer.***

Again, it’s just an idea that was not executed well.

***- Revolutionary shield system that replaced the conventional health pack/body armor system used at the time in conventional FPS’s. ***

and god dan thanks for the REVOLUTIONARY health regeneration we see shitty games with it where you are almost invincible and immortal.

It was outdated and boring in all level aspects. I remember when Halo arrived to the PC later, after Star Trek: Elite Force 2 and other games like Half-Life, Quake 3:Arena, Unreals, Wolfenstein i could not look at it.

Basically Halo: Combat Evolved is a Serious Sam game, but much more boring.

29. Gheritt White

Erthazus, thanks for sharing your opinion – you don’t like Halo and that’s okay. I’m genuinely not trying to convince you to like it.

However, you did say that “at that time [it] was outdated compared to any PC FPS” and that “Halo was never something special at all”.

All I wanted to do was point out some facts to the contrary.

Halo was innovative and went on to influence the design of many subsequent FPS games. This is a fact. If you don’t think it succeeded in being a “good” game, fine – I’m not fond of many innovative games. However to say that it didn’t do anything fresh or new isn’t an opinion – it’s just plain wrong.

WRONG.

30. Erthazus

@29 I never said that it didn’t do anything fresh or new. It’s just everything is not well executed and if it is not well executed no one cares.

In innovation i can compare Halo:CE to IPad. Same shit. Interesting idea, but formula is not properly cracked yet.

After Halo, many games made it right. Bungie after Halo 1 started to make same shit over and over again. Especially when Halo 2 came out, that was something hillarious and i never said i don’t like Halo, as a franchise it has a potential but not in hands of Bungie. If game was made by Valve, oh hell yes what we could have seen.

I remember Halo:Wars sure as a PC gamer that RTS sucked hard, but i can call it a game and it was fun.

31. Psychotext

If it wasn’t for Halo, I would never have played any console FPS games… so for me at least they must have been doing something right.

32. Gheritt White

@ 30: Bullshit. You definitely *did* say that Halo didn’t do anything fresh or new. It’s right there in post #15 when you said “Halo even at that time was outdated compared to any PC FPS.”

How can it be “outdated” when it brought so many innovations?

Also, Seropian-Bungie and Microsoft-Bungie are two very different entities, as I’ve pointed out before in other posts. I’ve not been a fan of Bungie’s post-Halo:CE output, but with Halo: Reach it looks like they’re back on the right track, IMHO.

33. Erthazus

@32 YES, it’s outdated in terms of technology, story telling, mechanic, graphics, design, multiplayer – this is the most IMPORTANT aspects of every game.

And for me Halo:Reach looks really outdated. When i saw VGA trailer of Halo i was pumped for it, but then i saw glimpses of gameplay and it reminded me of something between everyday Halo and Unreal Tournament 2004 in terms of technology, mechanic, design. Thats not an achievement. It’s not great. Still, they have time to improve.

when i see this, it reminds me of 2004 year. Time when i played UT2004. Thats just a Rip Off with Halo formula.

34. Gheritt White

@ 33: Can you back up those statements? Please explain how Halo:CE was outdated in terms of technology, graphics and mechanics, given the innovative features I listed above.

Story-telling, design and multiplayer are too subjective topics to debate, however in terms of technology and mechanics Halo:CE was objectively ahead of the pack – graphics-wise it was probably the best looking console game around on its release.

You might want to read some of the reviews of Halo:CE’s graphics before answering.

Regarding Halo: Reach – given how little we know of the game, how can you judge its design? There hasn’t been a full campaign level reveal yet.
    Mechanically, I’m looking forward to seeing how they handle the armor abilities (as the implementation of equipment in Halo 3 was rubbish).
    I’m not that fussed about technology – gameplay is more important IMHO, and I like Halo’s gameplay (my personal preference).

Like I said before, I get that you don’t like Halo – but to say the first game was objectively poor is a ridiculous statement that’s impossible to back up with facts.

35. daytripper

selling my 360, finished with it the gpu and everything just makes me feel bad because i bought something which by common opinion now is showing its age and really inferior

36. cookiejar

Hell yeah! I love Gears of Halo. Bring it on.

37. Erthazus

@34 Back up? Easy

In terms of technology and graphics it can suck major ass. If i will start to compare games like Half-Life, Wolfenstein or Unreal tournament to Combat Evolved it wil be hillarious. But i won’t do that. If you want to compare for yourself, just play these games and after that play some Halo:CE.
    Mechanics? It was an oldschool fast paced FPS like Quake 2 or UT and compared to them Halo:CE was a simple cluster fuck. People used Quake or UT for tournaments but when i played Halo after these games i was shocked at what they did… Fuck, better if i could never see that.

***Story-telling, design and multiplayer are too subjective topics to debate*** absolutely. You never played Half-Life, Unreal Tournament to say that. That was a bold statement. If you said that, then at that time you didn’t played these games.

***graphics-wise it was probably the best looking console game around on its release.*** – maybe. I don’t know about that. I played more PC at that time.

***Regarding Halo: Reach – given how little we know of the game, how can you judge its design?***

I saw level design, gameplay mechanic design. Everything is outdated as hell and look like Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004. You actually can put Reach to original Xbox, just throw away character polygons and guns polygons and shaders and tra la la. Welcome to Xbox 1.
    It’s not a next gen title at all.
    Look at this:

AND This outdated 2007 crap.

I’m showing you Outdated Unreal Tournament 3 that was launched in 2007.
    Reach looks embarassing at best at the DESIGN, graphics and engine over all now.

and i never said that i don’t like Halo. Halo games from Bungie sucks and thats a fact. Stop saying that i don’t like Halo.

and thank you, i never read reviews from stupid IGN. When Halo 2 came out IGN and other shitty US reviewers praised it, but oh fuck, did they actually played Half-Life 2 at that time? Oh, snap.

38. Gheritt White

You know, I think I seriously overestimated your ability to conduct a calm, rational debate. My apologies. Have a great weekend.

39. daytripper

Erthazus, i’m not being critical towards you or want to get into a argument with you so dont take this question the wrong way

if you are being that critical towards the game why be that bothered about it? why post such a long rant like above?

40. Erthazus

@daytripper it’s the internet. Everybody bothers with something.
    I don’t hate Halo. Who likes it, Kudos to them. But i’m pissed at the Hype. Halo don’t deserve this hype and it’s probably the most overrated franchise in terms of sales and review scores. This big hype deserve other great FPS games.
    Microsoft have enough money to make a great game out of it, but in what formula Bungie create this game, is not right.

In terms of storytelling and e.t.c. writers like Richard Morgan say that it’s not right and e.t.c. Why there are no Halo movies for example? Because Holywood don’t like it’s plot. In my eyes. Eyes of the gamer that played a lot at the PC and played console games = Halo is nothing special right now. Everything is just old and recieves great hype because of nothing. CE had some innovations that are implemented in the same level as we see now with IPad.

41. daytripper

i’ve never bought a Halo game for either my xbox 1 or 360 but for whatever reason I showed interest in Reach because I thought it would be different than what has happened before.

I agree with what you said about hype, its just not justified imo

42. matt_nothing

@Erthazus (but just in general because this nonsense always comes up when people talk about Halo)

“Mechanics? It was an oldschool fast paced FPS like Quake 2 or UT and compared to them Halo:CE was a simple cluster fuck.”

It really wasn’t. All 3 Halo games are much slower than Quake and Unreal Tournament by necessity (no mouse control) and the weapon balance, health/shield mechanics and enemy AI are built around this slower pace.

Multiplayer Halo:CE was a wierd mix of tactical shooter and action death match game – the only PC game I can think of back then with a similar approach was Tribes.

43. DaMan

Halo Combat Evolved absolutely wasn’t “outdated in terms of technology”, these angsty haters obviously played the game several years after it’s release or something. sure 2001 PC fps games had better draw distances, and you could run the games in higher resolutions than Xbox/PS2 were able to do. but there were simply no fundamentally more advanced things on PC at that time, same keyframe animations, same projected shadows, etc. Halo engine even had pixel shaders ffs.