BioShock Marin team not handling XCOM, says 2K

Thursday, 15th April 2010 07:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xcom

2K’s confirmed to 1UP that the main development team at 2K Marin that did BioShock 2 are not handling the reboot of XCOM, announced yesterday for Xbox 360 and PC.

Instead, the firm says development is being done at 2K Australia, which has recently been folded into the 2K Marin name, with a rep saying the two studios have now become “sister studios”.

The company rep wouldn’t comment further on the name change, saying it’ll “be talking about XCOM, the team and everything else in the near future.”

The reboot from the strategy series was announced yesterday by 2K. No release date was given.

1. Zonejeu

Well, that’s funny… I received the press release from 2K France yesterday and it says exactly “2K announces XCOM by the creators of Bioshock 2″ in the title, and in the first paragraph : “The game is developed by 2K Marin, the team that developed the million-selling Bioshock 2″.

As very few details were given about the game the real argument here was that it was developed by the Bioshock creators, it seems that it wasn’t that good communication…

2. DJ Deathstar

Yeah wasn’t there some reference in the press release about XCOM being developed by masters of FPS the 2K Marin team behind Bioshock 2

3. Artheval_Pe

They probably went “Oh, wait, some people wrote that BioShock 2 was sub-par ? Oh, snap ! Huh, send someone to tell people the truth, to say that it’s not made by the guys who did BioShock 2″

2K Marin, masters of FPS… what a joke.

4. DeSpiritusBellum

It’s all a conspiracy run by the humanoid space lizards.

Actually 2K Australia helped out on Bioshock 2, and if memory serves they were also instrumental on Bioshock, so it looks like they’re the special team helping out everywhere. And probably this is going to be a test of how well they do on their own. I have no idea, but that’s how it looks to me.

Most of the time developers can’t keep up with their own PR, so don’t be too surprised.

Still though, shame on them. First Fallout gets massacred, now X-Com. Cry cry, whine whine, Jihad.

5. Goliath

Yeah, 2K Australia did work on Bioshock 2. They’re featured in the beginning credits of the game.

6. Artheval_Pe

Well, Fallout didn’t get massacred… it got transformed and ended up being something different but good nontheless.

I don’t see how they are going to make a good X-com FPS, however

7. DeSpiritusBellum

@6 I can’t speak for everyone obviously, and I know oppinions varied a whole lot, but as an old Fallout maniac, I had a very hard time recognizing anything I liked from Fallout in that game.

I thought Borderlands got a lot closer to a real Fallout feel, at least it showed a bit of teeth and craziness in its art and its characters – but at the end of the day it’s still a shooter.

My point of view is that when you take a game and you change everything about it, including the genre and the fundamental gameplay, then it’ll really have points against it on authenticity. It’ll run the risk of being a tie-in, and to me it looks like 2K is heading down that road with this.