Mass Effect 2: Kasumi’s Lost Memory to retail for 560 MS points – new shots

Monday, 22nd March 2010 17:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kasumi

Mass Effect 2′s first premium DLC pack for, Kasumi’s Lost Memory, will retail for 560 MS points/BioWare points.

EA’s just released new shots of the DLC in celebration of confirming the price, showing mysterious thief Kasumi being asked by Cerberus to tag along with Shepard and his crew.

It’s just one of many DLC packs in the pipeline for the much-celebrated sequel: both the Firewalker DLC and a costume kit for some characters will launch tomorrow, the former being free.

And there’s more downloadable content in development for Mass Effect and Dragon Age, BioWare boss Ray Muzyka told VG247 at GDC two weeks ago.

Kasumi’s Lost Memory will release on April 6.

1. Bulk Slash

What’s that in real money? I’m not sure I like this constant obfuscation of the real price of things with a points value.

2. blackdreamhunk

it will be about $15 can’t wait

3. Zonejeu

It’s about 6€, a bit expensive for just a couple of missions isn’t it ? If this new mission is as long as other that are just related to one character, it’s 6€ for barely 2 hours of gameplay… pretty expensive…

4. Gekidami

Milkage.

5. Moonwalker1982

Gekidami, with all due respect but that’s absolutely not fair what you are saying. I actually gained quite some respect for both EA and Bioware for releasing PLENTY of DLC after the game’s release…and all of it was free.

The Firewalker DLC(new vehicle,new missions) will be FREE!

6. Phoenixblight

Well because of how the MS points are its 6.25 for just 500 points.

@Gek

How is this Milkage? They have a team to pay for, for making the DLC. Its another character with missions, I wouldn’t mind paying for it if it is comparable to Zaeed. IF they were charging 15$ for her then I would say EA is trying to rip us off but thats not the case I can sacrifice going to a fast food joint for that week for this.

7. Quiiick

Yes, it’s milkage.
    Don’t buy DLC.

8. Moonwalker1982

It’s obvious that for some people it’s just never good enough. Nobody is forcing you to buy this. Also..560 points, wow. Why dare people even complain? I always thought 800 pts was the lowest price for DLC, i expected this to be 800. But it’s only 560, great price.

9. Demiath

Whether it’s worth the (reasonably low) price or not is too early to tell, but Kasumi seems like a cool enough character. Seeing as I haven’t had much reason to return to ME2 after I finished my Insanity playthrough (much more interesting and tactical than Normal difficulty, I might add), I think I’d definitely pay 5-6$ for one or two high quality missions of average length.

Bioware’s track record on post-launch stuff is admittedly not that great (with DA:O’s Awakening being the only legitimately good addon they’ve released since, I dunno, Throne of Bhaal), but I guess the “Mako 2.0 DLC” will be an important first test of whether those nerdy Canadians have mastered the downloadable summoning act…

10. Gekidami

“The Firewalker DLC(new vehicle,new missions) will be FREE!
    Several packs with armor and weapons were all FREE. Whereas many other games have those weapon and armor DLC’s that always cost money…this was all free. This is far from milkage friend.”

Its a new form of milkage, EA milkage.

Its in their best interest to have some free stuff on the service at the start. Otherwise how would they get people who didnt buy the game brand new to pay for their Cerberus Network access? Suddenly “free DLC” is abit less “free”.

To compare, how is Dragon Age doing with free DLC? Other then The Stone Prisoner (only free to people who got the game new) and that armour tied to ME2 was there any more free DLC?
    For Dragon Age they can only nickel and dime secondhand buyers for one piece of DLC, they dont need to make a certain ‘pay to access’ network look more attractive with a decent selection of “free DLC” already on there.

I doubt there will be much more free DLC for ME2 anymore however. EA charging for some black outfits with sun glasses seems like a decent indication of this.

11. Moonwalker1982

Canadians? :)

Anyway i am playing it on veteran, i was playing it on hardcore but it was just a bit too much, veteran’s perfect.
    Normal is way too easy indeed.

Ok, so people who buy a secondhand copy of the game can’t get it for free, that’s too bad then. Fact remains, even for people who got the game new, they could have charged for those DLC’s, but they still didn’t.

And this new DLC only costing 560 points is also a indication, a indication of a good deed by them in my book. :)

12. Mike

I don’t see how a new character and mission is milking it, tbh.

But then again, I’m not bitter.

13. revolting

So what if it is milkage? Milk is good for you. Nobody is force feeding you it, either. Entirely optional. If you don’t want it, don’t get it… simples! Personally, I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

14. endgame

it’s milkage. i think 560 points means 5.6 dollars which is milkage. this is only worth 2 to 3 bucks. but ofc they ask so much when they see that idiots with fat wallets keep buying it..

15. Demiath

@Moonwalker: Yes, Bioware is a Canadian developer with headquarters in Edmonton, Alberta.

16. Moonwalker1982

You don’t even know how long the DLC will be, normally they always charge 800 points for DLC’s like this. It’s a great thing they ain’t asking 800 but only 560. Look at MW2 please, people will be paying 1200 points for like three new maps and 2 old maps? THAT is milking, that is ripping people off baaaaaaaad.

17. Blerk

I don’t think it’s ‘milking’ it exactly, but it certainly doesn’t sound like it’s very good value. 560 points is nearly a fiver, which doesn’t sound a lot but it’s for about 90 minutes worth of extra game. Considering that most people will have picked up the full game for less than £40 and gotten considerably more mileage out of it, a fiver for an extra hour and a half suddenly seems a bit steep.

Bite-sized DLC should be now more than £1-£2 if they ever want it to be totally mass-market – especially when you know full well that by the end of the year there’ll be a ‘game of the year’ edition with the full game and all the DLC thrown in for £20 in total.

They’d do well to study the iPhone’s pricing model a little more closely (and I’m not just talking about Bioware/EA here).

18. endgame

exactly Blerk! :)

19. Phoenixblight

They can’t charge that cheap because MS charges companies for using the Xbox Marketplace. They have to make it a profit somewhere…

20. Blerk

In which case either Microsoft should be charging less for use of the system or the companies should be making their DLC “meatier”, like the GTA episodes or the better bits of the Fallout 3 DLC.

‘Cheap’ and ‘good value’ are not the same thing. In my opinion, of course. :-)