Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep formally announced for US summer release

Tuesday, 16th March 2010 18:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

khbbs

Square Enix has announced Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep for an US release this summer for PSP.

The spin-off is the fifth in the series, which has shipped 14 million and takes place before the original Kingdom Hearts on PS2.

The game was released in Japan in January.

PR below.

KINGDOM HEARTS BIRTH BY SLEEP OPENS THE DOOR TO AN UNTOLD WORLD THIS SUMMER
Prequel to the Mega-Hit Franchise Comes to the PSP® system

LOS ANGELES (March 16, 2010) — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep will be released in North America this Summer. Coming exclusively to the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, the game is a prequel that reveals the untold origins of the popular KINGDOM HEARTS franchise.

KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep is the highly anticipated fifth installment in the beloved RPG series that has shipped over 14 million copies worldwide. Enjoy three unique gaming experiences through three main characters – Terra, Ventus and Aqua – in order to uncover the mysteries of the story. With a distinctive battle system and multiplayer mode, KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep adds a new depth to the KINGDOM HEARTS franchise.

The game also introduces Disney worlds and characters that have never been seen in previous KINGDOM HEARTS titles, including Sleeping Beauty’s Enchanted Dominion, the Dwarf Woodlands from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and Deep Space from Lilo and Stitch. In addition, all-new stages have been added to familiar worlds like Neverland from Peter Pan. Disney lovers will rejoice at seeing their favorite characters appear on the handheld arena.

Story

Long before Sora was chosen by his Keyblade, the worlds’ safety lay in the hands of Keyblade Masters. Three youths — Terra, Ventus, and Aqua — have been training long and hard under Master Eraqus to prove that they, too, exhibit the Mark of Mastery. But they will soon find themselves in the middle of a crisis affecting worlds far beyond their own—just as another Keyblade Master, Xehanort, goes mysteriously missing.

Three friends, three destinies. Everything will link back to the beginning.

FEATURES

* An essential piece to the KINGDOM HEARTS series arrives on the PSP system: From world renowned creator and character designer Tetsuya Nomura comes the latest installment in the beloved KINGDOM HEARTS series. The vibrant and colorful KINGDOM HEARTS world comes to life through stunning graphics in 16:9 widescreen presentation, made possible by the PSP system hardware.
* Disney worlds and characters new to the KINGDOM HEARTS series: Disney worlds and characters never before seen in KINGDOM HEARTS, such as Enchanted Dominion (Sleeping Beauty) and Castle of Dreams (Cinderella) will make their first appearances in KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep.
* Three distinct gaming experiences through the eyes of three protagonists: Unravel the mystery surrounding the origin of the KINGDOM HEARTS saga through the tales of three unique characters – Terra, Ventus and Aqua. The whole story is revealed only after playing through with all three characters.
* An action-packed combat system with intuitive controls: The familiar action-packed experience that KINGDOM HEARTS fans have come to embrace returns with an enhanced battle system, with all new features such as Command Styles, Command Decks, Shotlocks and Dimension Links. KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep is the most advanced KINGDOM HEARTS title to date.
* Four exciting multiplayer modes: Share the excitement and fun with your friends with four brand-new multiplayer modes: Versus, Arena, Command Board and Rumble Racing.
* New game features: The North American release will include a number of new features including Crown Stickers, an extra boss and additional multiplayer options.

KINGDOM HEARTS Birth By Sleep is rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older). Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

The official website can be found at http://na.square-enix.com/khbbs.

1. DJ Deathstar

And an EU date???? :(

2. theevilaires

cool. at this point Sony should just green light all studios to do better remakes on the PSP.

3. V_Ben

This better come to PSN. need to have this on my Go :-)

4. V_Ben

Oh yeah, and an EU date! that would be nice square :-/

5. Michael O’Connor

“And an EU date???? ”

It’ll happen eventually I’m sure. Just don’t expect it soon.

If you really need to play it, you could set up a US PSN account and download it from the store when it’s released in the US.

“at this point Sony should just green light all studios to do better remakes on the PSP.”

This isn’t a remake.

“his better come to PSN. need to have this on my Go.”

All PSP games since the launch of the Go have a digital download as well.

6. V_Ben

Birth By Sleep isn’t on PSN in Japan apparently, which is what’s worrying me :P

7. The1stMJC

FUCK YEA

8. Michael O’Connor

I’m not sure what the support for that system is like in Japan, but all new western releases get one. There might be one or two rare exceptions, but I wouldn’t exactly call Kingdom Hearts an obscure franchise, so I wouldn’t worry.

9. Hunam

They haven’t all had one have they? I remember Persona got knocked about and I think one or two other games by smaller publishers might have gone by the wayside…

10. Michael O’Connor

I distinctly recall buying Persona off the US PlayStation Store myself…

I did say there might be a few rare exceptions, but Kingdom Hearts isn’t what one would consider a “small” franchise.

11. Hunam

When I said knocked bout I meant that it didn’t come out soon as the UMD did, should have been more clear on that sorry.

I’d imagine KH would be fine, not being on the JP store is odd though because they love it too and I’d imagine the go crowd would be upset to not have KH during their breaks from Monster Hunter marathons.

I really need a new psp thinking about it, stood on mine and completely fucked the drive up because I left it on the floor with the drive bay open for some insane reason.

12. Michael O’Connor

Japan isn’t big into downloadable content or downloadable games. They tend to prefer micro-transactions for already existing purchases. That’s probably why.

13. spiderLAW

I have been waiting for this game for a long time. And i dont think im going to be able to play it.

Me and my wife drove to Vegas to stay at Treasure Island for my vacation week. I took my PSP with me to keep me company while my Wife goes out and does her girly things with her sister. Well, on the way home i handed my PSP to my wife and asked her to put it in her purse while i drive. She instead wraps it in her shirt and puts it in her duffle bag to keep it protected. We get home and i go to work the next day. She calls me while im at work and telss me that she FRIGGIN WASHED MY PSP by accident!!!! It is now just sitting there, alone, and sad that i cant play with it…wait no, im the sad one.

14. theevilaires

that sucks put I heard the price of PSP’s are expected to drop this summer to $149.99. That’s a steal for the ultimate hand held gaming device.

15. spiderLAW

I can fix it, its only the the screen that died. Its just the fact that i would have to order the screen, wait till it comes in, might not be the right one, open my psp to find out it was actually the screen ports on the circuit board….im gonna wait and see if i could find a better option.

16. theevilaires

I know for a fact the PSP 1000 and 2000 screens are compatible. Just go to a pop and mom game shop where they have used broken PSP’s and ask to buy a screen. The average price should be around $70-$85.

The PSP parts inside are very easy to replace. So is the PS3′s.

17. spiderLAW

i found a 2000 screen (better screen than 1000) for $60. But again, i will wait and see if a better opportunity opens up.

18. DaMan

gawd, they’re still making KH games?

uh.

19. theevilaires

Doesn’t get any better than that spider. I say go for it. $60 is child allowance, its nothing, you won’t lose.