Kitase, Toriyama would like to do FFXIII-2

Saturday, 13th March 2010 13:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii6

Final Fantasy XIII super-team Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama have told WriteAboutGames that if the opportunity showed up, they would like to do a sequel for it, as in FFXIII-2.

Speaking at a French launch event for the game, the pair concludes if the sequel came up, they’d like to refine a couple of things on the game’s story. But first off, it’d need to see how the main game itself sells.

“That depends on how well the game sells in the West,” says one of them, it’s not made clear.

Kitase then says: “In the past three years we worked both on the world and on the various systems. Creating these systems isn’t very glamorous and can frankly be a bit boring. If we could do a XIII-2, we could direct all our attention to the story and refine what we have already built.”

As for Final Fantasy XV, the pair conceded they weren’t sure if that was coming. Again, like a possible FFXIII-2, it all depends on the sales of FFXIII.

“We do not know if there will be a XV. This depends a lot on the success of XIII. Also, it is difficult to pinpoint elements that are typical Final Fantasy.

“They are mostly invisible: part of the DNA of the game, that everyone recognizes as typical Final Fantasy. But if there is a XV, I hope the way we wrote our characters carries over. We strived to create believable people of flesh and blood. They are not robots. And they are not super heroes. I hope this humanity is something we will see again.”

Only earlier this week, Kitase hinted that there would be more games in the Fabula Nova Crystallis saga outside of the three already announced.

FFXIII launched earlier this week, with over 5 million units shipped worldwide.

1. AHA-Lambda

“We do not know if there will be a XV.”

HAHAHAHA XD Seriously? LMFAO XD

2. J_N

Here we go again…

3. Alakratt

Can somebody pleaseee, keep Toriyama away from a FF title as possible? I beg of you!! If he wants to create a linear RPG, that’s fine, but create something new don’t fuck with FF!!

4. 52pickup

Dunno how to send in news tips guys but i just saw this on GAME website

5. Razor

“We do not know if there will be a XV.”

Oh give me a break. A reboot wouldn’t go amiss with XV though.

6. Hunam

Anyone who says it’s too hard to make towns needs a head check to be honest.

Then again I read a story where an artist spent two weeks working on a rock that was in a cutscene for about 5 seconds. They need better producers tbh, they waste time on pointless things instead of trying something that is a bit more difficult. Look at Assassins Creed 1 and 2, they have massive sprawling cities and the games look amazingly good and fully detailed and they did that in half the time. Twice.

7. Eregol

@Alakrat
    FFX was linear and it was my fave FF title.
    I’m also liking FFXIII at the moment.
    Nothing wrong with linearity. Allows me to not think about where I want to go too much so I can concentrate on the battles and the story.

The worst part in FFXIII is Leona Lewis.

8. Dralen

@Eregol
    Thankyou!!There’s someone on this site that agrees with me about FFXIII.

9. Monk

@Eregol
    it`s a lot different with XIII, if you remember I can where ever
    I go after the the first [ if I`m not wrong ] 10 hours, but to
    me, I love every moment in this game and when the story get more
    deep and much better.

10. Johnny Cullen

I’m hopefully going to properly get stuck into the English version of FFXIII this weekend, but from what I’ve played of the Japanese version, it’s a very great game.

11. Alakratt

@ Eregol

Dude, not all people are like you. I didn’t like X. You might not mind linearity but I do. Hence, my love for XII. I’m liking XIII, I get the linearity of the first half of the game, I’m already on the part where the game opens and I dig it. But giving stupid excuses like “HD towns take too much time” is plain bullshit, if western devs can make them, japanese devs too. Anyway, Versus will have a world map, so I’m relaxed…

12. Erthazus

Actually Final Fantasy XIII is really great *playing* I thought with these scores i will be dissapointed.

13. Eregol

@Alakratt
    But your previous comment about keeping Toriyama away from future FF games would mean that those of us who like linearity wouldn’t get our fix.

There’s space in the world for both tastes.

14. Johnny Cullen

Alakratt – He did a perfectly fine job with FFXIII. As far as I’m concerned, as long as he doesn’t go overboard and keep the formula with this one, he’s fine as he is.