Greenberg on Move: “Only Natal makes you the controller”

Friday, 12th March 2010 17:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

move

Microsoft production boss Aaron Greenberg’s thrown out a response to Sony’s Move reveal earlier this week, saying that Natal’s the only solution for controller-free motion gaming.

“Xbox 360 has a strong history of innovation: Halo, Xbox LIVE and instant-on 1080p HD,” said the senior Microsoft exec, talking to TheBitBag.

“With each of these, we had our sights set on the future – and it paid off for us, the industry and Xbox 360 owners. We are doing it again with Project Natal on Xbox 360. We believe controller-free experiences are the future of gaming and entertainment.

“Only Project Natal makes YOU the controller, putting you in the middle of the action and in complete control. Jump and your Avatar jumps. Speak and characters respond. Combined with Xbox LIVE, Project Natal will transform how you connect with your friends, family and entertainment – as only Xbox 360 can do.”

PlayStation Move was announced at GDC in San Francisco this week as the name for PS3′s wand controller.

1. Eregol

I still do not think that a controller-less input system will work for core games.
    No force feedback or anything that will tell you what you’ve actually done.

The Sixaxis proved that a lack of force feedbak will garner negative opinion from gamers.

Natal is obviously a casual only solution.

2. AHA-Lambda

In a lot of ways I hope both of these fail miserably but moreso for natal which unfortunately will be the more successful of the two >:(

3. Razor

Halo…innovation?

Give me a break.

4. Erthazus

@2 Depends only on a Software.

I think Greenberg missing one particular point that Sony have Playstation Eye that uses the innovation title. But he is a PR guy so…

Microsoft don’t have innovation in whatsoever except that they brought Xbox Live. But everybody know that internet service and HD would come anyway because of time. In my memory they don’t have something innovative except the software from 3rd party studios.

5. Gekidami

Halo brought alot of new ideas to the table at the time thats become standard in most FPS’ now. …The Halo games actually on 360 on the other hand… :S

6. theevilaires

“We believe controller-free experiences are the future of gaming and entertainment”.

wrong! no camera you can produce will ever let me control Nathan Drake better that a gaming pad. And if you did had said camera it would cost about $600 because tech that advance is hard to make. Not a fucking eyetoy rip off that will be less than $100 and mimics fucking dodge ball and safari paintings. (I was embarrassed for you guys last E3….and BAM! the bottom of your avatar’s shoe LMAO!)

“Future of entertainment”

Didn’t you guys say that about that HD-DVD add on? :D

7. feybuhl

How about people that want feedback just hold one of those gag shocker things?
    How about you hold your replica lightsaber when playing Natal enabled SW game?
    Point is you don’t have to hold on to anything,
    but you can if you want.

8. get2sammyb

Well he stated the obvious there didn’t he.

9. get2sammyb

@feybuhl – I’m going to hold a plate for driving games…

I dunno — the controller-less angle frightens me even more than Move and Wii. I had an Eye Toy. I know Natal is more advanced but I’m not sure it matters. Reaching into fresh air is just not fun in the long term.

10. theevilaires

Oh yea man Forza 4 with Natal support would be awesome….get the hell out of here :D then why did I buy the wheel add on.

Its going to be funny as hell when they start releasing games for Natal and Sony will copy anything they put out because the PS eye is well capable enough to do the same things.

Some call the police from Minority Report because M$ is about to commit suicide this fall.

11. Seraphemz

TEA – what do you really think?

12. The Hindle

Read this on Ign guys, Natal isnt sounding so good.

13. feybuhl

@get2sammyb – I’m new (VG247) but have read the ‘no feedback’ complaint several times but haven’t seen the obvious suggestion. Use the same plate playing a baseball game if you want. I’m thinking that Natal is all about that sort of freedom. I’ll stop with the obvious now.

14. get2sammyb

@12 – that was a fascinating read. Interesting to hear developers lamenting the technology. Maybe this is why we’ve still seen so little?

15. get2sammyb

@13 – ok, but when I hit a ball in richochet, it won’t FEEL like I hit a ball. It’s the same in Sony’s EyePet — the pet reacts like I’m stroking him, it LOOKS like I’m stroking him, but in reality I’m stroking fresh-air.

Obviously, holding a controller won’t make you feel like you’ve hit a ball either, but at least the rumble and weight makes it a bit closer than fresh air, right?

16. OlderGamer

Hindle the thing that stands out to me is that the articale says that both Move and Natal are complete crap.

Kind of what I was guessing anyways to be honest.

17. get2sammyb

@10 – I don’t want Sony to copy them. If they’re going to pursue motion control I want more of this augmented reality stuff from Sony. Despite its casual leaning, I thought Move Party looked like the best Playstation Move game by a long way — aside from Sports Champions (which looked good but generic).

18. get2sammyb

@16 – The article does say that, but there’s also some positivity on the development side for Move (namely that it actually does what Sony claim — a more accuate Wii remote) and that the augmented reality stuff works.

Natal it seems is not going so well. I did kinda wonder why EA Sports Active 2.0 wasn’t announced for Natal.

I’d also heard other bumblings from within the industry on various podcasts, etc, that Natal does not do what they claim.

Apparently the hype might come back to bite them in the ass? They’ve plenty of time to fix it though I suppose. I’m sure it’s super high priority for them.

19. OlderGamer

@Sammy

Do you have some kind of personial invested intrest in Move or something. Because your placing more spin on this thing then a 14 boy at a spin the bottle party.

The articile, and I quote:

” I played with it at publisher’s event and as something of a Wii veteran with a firm understanding of how pointer and gestural controls work and how games should feel when they are properly finessed. I’m not impressed, I say. PS3 Move features almost no latency — just one frame — but that paper truth didn’t seem to translate to reality as I played with the controller at Sony’s event. Most of the stuff played like first-generation Wii efforts from third-parties. ”

How is that a possitive thing?

Natal may very well stink. But that doesn’t translate into Sony holding the holy grail of casual gaming with their Move/Eye Toy stuff. Either way you look at it, Sony and MS are attempting to do a “Wii Too” type deal.

I think at best, the Move is going to mimic the WiiMote, w/motion plus(if Sony is lucky). But at the end of the day i don’t see either thing selling their respective systems or changing the way that I or most gamers out there want to play their games. And to be very blunt honest, your grandma isn’t going to buy a PS3 to play PS3 Sports.

Grandma called, she is happy with her Wii.

20. theevilaires

Seraphemz said: TEA – what do you really think?

I think you need to start posting more for real man. Where the hell you been all this time. Stop playing Ad hoc party on your PS3 and start posting more.

I missed the old days when we would roll out 500 post per article :D

Oh but on topic I think Natal will be ok. I’m just busting Greenturds balls. I’m still getting it (cause I’m a game dork) but I’m liking MOVE. The controllers look cool and if that glowing ball part vibrates I’m sure I can get my female friends to play with me more ;)

21. OlderGamer

“The controllers look cool and if that glowing ball part vibrates I’m sure I can get my female friends to play with me more ”

22. get2sammyb

@oldergamer – Because this part counteracts it:

“The exceptions are the augmented reality games, which project gameplay graphics onto real-time views of players using Sony’s camera. These are all flimsy affairs — mini-games of the sort that sold Wii consoles three years ago, but as I watch people having fun while they shave the heads of goofy virtual monsters, I can’t help but think how much my kids are going to love this stuff. It’s fluffy, sure, but families will eat it up and there’s just enough freshness that critics like me can’t say that Sony copied Nintendo, at least not blatantly. Just as importantly, it’s responsive and it feels good.

Move’s hardware is more than competent and there’s certainly a lot of potential, but most of it remained untapped at the event. This opinion is seconded by the developer, which is working closely with the device. They tell me that they believe it will ultimately outperform the Wii remote in responsiveness and say that their own tests are already proving that true. I ask if there is the kind of lag I experienced at Sony’s demo and they say no, that it’s very fast and reliable when programmed correctly. They add that it still has some calibration issues like the Wii remote, but that it’s still an improvement.”

I agree, that Move didn’t do a great deal to inspire me, but I definitely think its positive that developers are working on it and getting it to work like Sony have suggested it will. That’s good news to me. Does it make the current crop of software we’ve seen good? Not really – but potential always excites me.

And apparently the potential is not working out for Natal. I consider Sony and Microsoft’s different devices extremely different, so I honestly don’t want to compare them — but surely it’s interesting to consider developers are saying on one hand “Move is basically a Wii that works better and we know that cos we’re working on it” over “Natal is shit and practically busted.”

That’s what I was drawing out of the article.

Both Sony and Microsft have a LONG way to go before they even touch Nintendo’s software though.

23. absolutezero

I don’t want to be the controller though ;_;

24. theevilaires

“Becareful man, they get their hands on that and they may play with you even less!”

Nothing beats the real thing O.G. especially not when compared to my magic stick :P im not packing a wii ladies :D

25. OlderGamer

I think we have two things here.

One is a product not doing what is ‘possed/hyped to do. Right now it is underwhelming. That is about as close to a video game fact as we can get(most video game facts are opinions, and this one could also be slanted that way). But I feel comfortable saying that at this point Move doesn’t fully deliver(based on this article and others like it).

Second we have the ugly monster called PR. The guy was given a screening and schown the Move. To say that the product has anything less then lots of potiential would be just plan rude. Plus, I think, a certian faction of the readers(its from the PS3 heavy UK, after all) are optimisticly looking forward to it – gotta know your audience.

To me what the article boils down to is simple:

Move is ho-hum now, but might get better.

About spot on.

You also like to point out that Natal will fail. Well, maybe. But we haven’t seen its press release yet. Keeping in mind I could careless about either one, lets just wait till they are both on the market this fall and see if either is worth our cash.

lol @ Tea

Hey feel free to add me on xbLIVE. Same handle, sort of. Its AnOlderGamer
    I’d give ya our PS3 one, but its my son that has it in his room(its his/ours). He does play MAG if your into that lemme know.

26. theevilaires

Yea I’ll add you tonight. Been busy cause its tax season and all. I need to mop the floor with Reask in MW2 badly…..just to make my life feel some what meaningful. :D

27. The Hindle

Just for the record guys didnt mean to single out Natal, Move sounds underwhelming as well if that editor is anything to go by.

28. OlderGamer

gah, not another MW2 player!

hehe, you guys are killing me, I need squad mates for BFBC2. No way I want to take on the Squad Deathmatch with a pug.

29. SplatteredHouse

I think Sony’s Move is bound to be plenty more accurate than waving your arms about. The last Microsoft showed was a lady doing star jumps at giant circles, lol. Or painting that a four year-old would think sloppy! Where is the intuitive accuracy of any kind in all that? Greenberg’s back to run his mouth, again. That’s the type of thing you do, when you have nothing to show.
    At least I’ll be able to stay in control of my gaming experience, by not being suckered in with talk.

That part of what 12 posted about Peter Molyneux, and asking a crowded room for suggestions until they say one thing he knew the avatar on-screen could replicate, AND then the tech copied some logo from the guy’s shirt, badly instead, is just too much. I’m not against advancing, and new ways for games, but Microsoft are doing a lot of talking, and it comes across like some pipe-dream. Woouldn’t be without precedent.

30. Gekidami

“I’m going to hold a plate for driving games”

Ok, so how are you going to accelerate, brake and reverse, or even change gear if you like that type of thing in your race games?
    Its easy to imagine how one aspect of a genre could work whilst forgetting that no game has a single action to fully control it which is sort of a shame because thats sort of what Natal needs by the looks of it.

You know what, i’m going to call it now; MS will reveal some form of light controller(s) to work along side Natal at E3.

31. Mike

You tell ‘em, Aaron! :)

32. Galactic_Barret

Come on, now, OlderGamer. Devs are saying Move works well, and that its fun. Its software is ‘ho-hum’ at this point. At least, that is what the article is trying to convey. Sales (Why are we talking about this, now?) are auxillary to that. I’m starting to notice a pattern here, its a little frightening.

33. Eregol

I like how the steering wheel has been brought up.

That sensation is something you’ll never replicate with a controllerless interface, and considering how difficult I find driving games with a steering wheel the force feedback would be the only reason for me using anything else bar a controller.

34. reask

@Tea
    Youre a PS3 fanboy full stop mate and never forget it. :)
    You want to mop the floor with me on mw2 I say bring it on any time you like.
    I prefer to walk the walk than talk the talk Tea if you get what im saying.

35. Gheritt White

Move has already got me very excited by its current potential (especially for RTS games), whereas even a blind, mongoloid gibbon could tell you that Natal looks like a heap o’ shit as anything other than a GUI navigation solution.

I still reckon this will all come down to marketing and pricing and let’s face it, Sony aren’t much cop at doing either either sensibly (more’s the pity).

If Natal really is the future of gaming on Microsoft’s platform, that’s the quickest way to make the core jump ship.

36. Mike

Motion Control is for games what 3D is for films; a load of bollocks that adds nothing.

Emperor’s new clothes an’ all that.

37. DaMan

@36 exactly.

38. Mike

innit

39. Freek

Except ofcourse that it isn’t. The Wii combines an accesable control system with well developed software to get people gaming who would never in a million years have touched the medium. Sony and MS want to get in on the action.

Just like 3D in film can add a whole new layer of depth and believability to a scene.

Just becuase there’s been a ton shovelware mini game collections and poor movies lazily throwing stuff “at the audiance” does not mean these are not amazing techniques when aplied correctly.

40. DaMan

it will add nothing to most of the genres.

and if 360 and PS3 libraries became anything similar to Wii I stop playing console games.

41. theevilaires

reask said:

“@Tea
    Youre a PS3 fanboy full stop mate and never forget it.”

You have no scientific proof to back that claim :D

“You want to mop the floor with me on mw2 I say bring it on any time you like.
    I prefer to walk the walk than talk the talk Tea if you get what im saying.”

I’ve been really busy lately buddy but I promise you sometime this week or the next we’ll play.

“As for uc2 its a brilliant game imo but as far as breaking new ground forget about it been there done that.”

You mean to tell me there’s been a game on a console before or after 10/2009 that have raised the bar as much as UC2 has. Graphics wise, story wise, voice acting, and awesome gameplay all rolled into one. The only game that seems to maybe top it is GOW3. No xbox 360 game can produce the quality of PS3 exclusives….its the truth. look at splinter cell…that game looks like a 2008 xbox 360 game at its best. As for gameplay and controls…..its a splinter cell game…enough said.

“Love your PS3 but dont think everybody else takes it up the arse so easily as your self.”

You should try to take it up the ass. Its the best way to enjoy your PS3…remember IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING Reask ;)

“Pity you are not willing to play the 360 games as it gives you no credibility to condemn.”

Actually I have been playing my 360 the most. I’ve been trying to get all the achievements in Saints Row, Rockstar Table Tennis, and Gears 1 so I can shut Psychotext up finally. I’ve been playing offline btw. I’m still looking forward to co op with you in Gears 2. I love my 360 so much I haven’t even played my PS3 in about 2 weeks.