Ubisoft DRM servers take a tumble, render Assassin’s Creed II unplayable

Monday, 8th March 2010 05:59 GMT By Nathan Grayson

asscreed2a

Whether it’s a little kink Ubisoft needs to work out or a foreboding sign of things to come, the day foretold by cringing PC gamers the world over has already come to pass. Ubisoft’s DRM servers hit a bit of snag today, and Assassin’s Creed II has been unplayable ever since.

As you might expect, players are suitably outraged. Hoping to quell the masses before they started tossing around threats of another Internet petition, a Ubisoft rep said:

“I don’t have any clear information on what the issue is since I’m not in the office, but clearly the extended downtime and lengthy login issues are unacceptable, particularly as I’ve been told these servers are constantly monitored.”

“I’ll do what I can to get more information on what the issue is here first thing tomorrow and push for a resolution and assurance this won’t happen in the future. I realise that’s not ideal but there’s only so much I can do on a weekend as I’m not directly involved with the server side of this system.”

Well, that’s something at least.  Still though, strike one, Ubisoft.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Michael O’Connor

There is only one adequate response to this…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2. Joe_Gamer

That is awesome HAHAHAHA, god damn idiots.

3. Michael O’Connor

You reap what you sow.

4. ybfelix

Ubi intentionally made the server crash to educate the non-techy mass why this kind of copy protection is bad. It died for DRMs’ sins! Repent!

5. loki

PC games sucks again, sucks again, sucks again
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

6. Phoenixblight

QFT

7. blackdreamhunk

they should sew ubisoft for and unplayable product. When some takes them to court over a product I am sure they will smarten up.

I am glade I never bought the game, must of ubisoft’s pc games are any way. They disrespect pc gamers any way they can. they only have a few pc tittles.

Tp be honest I avoid a lot of ubisofts games. I played the first assiin creed and guess what it’s junk!unplayable with out a controler.

I also predict that ubisoft is going to be in the red agin. Pc games for ubisoft will be at all time low for them. I wouldn’t be suprised if they bankupt.

8. Freek

Ubisoft, have nice cup of: “We fucking told you so!”.

9. NiceFellow

Well, this is why I won’t buy any game with this kind of DRM, and send them a nice email (as in not rude that they’ll ignore) explaining that as a consumer I simply won’t endorse a setup that makes buying and playing their games a hideous chore.

I suggest if they actual want to take the time and money to release games on PC and have them sell well they need to rethink their approach, or turn a blind eye and blame piracy for the impact their own actions have on their sales.

I pity the poor soles who wondered into a store and bought this without realizing what they were accepting. I know the old saying is Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) but really you shouldn’t have to think about stuff like this when simply buying something from a store.

10. blackdreamhunk

this article belongs here

I strongly agree with this article.

11. Bulk Slash

Serves you bloody right Ubisoft. This precisely why I hate DRM and I won’t buy any software with it in. They should release a patch to remove it immediately.

12. Erthazus

Ubisoft i want to say you just few words: FUCK YOU!

and i won’t buy any of the Ubisoft games on my Ps3, PC or Wii or small consoles. Go fuck yourself with internet activation

13. Blerk

Heh heh! :-D

14. SplatteredHouse

Ubisoft are total idiots. How are consumers even supposed to support this. Also, +1 to #3.
    Until they see sense, they can peddle their buggy, haphazardly tested, torn-to-beggary crap to someone else.
    Keep goading and challenging the pirates, Ubi, all the while the customers are the ones actually walking the plank. :(

Come up with something else, that doesn’t hurt people that have bought the game. Once they have done that, why should THEY have to continue paying! >:( – NO BS logins, NO DRMs, NO internet connection requirements. Do the broken/degrading software thing, like Rocksteady, maybe,

15. jnms

Anyone else remember B.A.T.? That Ubisoft Amiga game that came with a bit of hardware you had to connect to the computer? The game would not run without it!

20 years ago , and Ubisoft was still up to the same shit. They won’t change now.

16. blackdreamhunk

we just love the gaming industry, they really do love their fanbase and consumers!!!!!!

people then ask why companies go bankuprt or why people hate big companies.

what joke!!!

17. Badger

I truly hope that this proves to all future publishers that this kind of thing is feckin’ ridiculous and should be avoided entirely if you want to SELL your games.

Idiots.