Microsoft announces Splinter Cell: Conviction Xbox 360 bundle

Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 15:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sccbundle

Microsoft has announced an Xbox 360 Splinter Cell Conviction Special Edition Bundle.

The bundle will be made available in North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand for $399 in early April.

It contains a standard edition copy of Splinter Cell: Conviction, a 250Gb hard drive and 2 Wireless Controllers.

Sounds lovely, and thanks to the developmental delays it should look crackling hot upon release.

Oh, and don’t worry PS3′ers – you may not be getting Conviction due to an exclusivity deal, but someday the series may pop up on the console again.

Game’s out April 13 in the US, and April 16 in the UK for PC and Xbox 360.

More through The Major

1. Goliath

God damn, all these sexy bundles. Too bad I already own 2 XBox 360s.

2. Eregol

MS are insistant on doing bundles for everything.

It’s almost like they think that retail stores wudn’t bundle these things up themselves anyway if they didn’t.

3. Michael O’Connor

A bundle for a game that nobody really cares about anyway?

Okay then.

4. Blerk

Saywhatnow? Surely Conviction is a hugely anticipated release?

5. Goliath

@ Michael O’Connor

YOU. MUST. BE. HIGH. STOP!

6. OlderGamer

I really like this bundle, extra wireless controler, headset, huge HDD, sexy black look, but I too couldn’t careless about the game in it.

7. Michael O’Connor

@ 4 & 5

It is? I must have been the big stream of people that never cared about this franchise in the first place, along with the people who stopped caring about it years ago because the title was delayed ad infinitum.

It’s Splinter Cell.

8. Eregol

For once I agree with you O’Connor.
    I don’t care about this either.

9. dirigiblebill

“It’s Splinter Cell.”

The last iteration of which, Double Agent, sold well over a million on 360 alone :)

10. theevilaires

Keep up the great work Microsoft, you guys are doing great with these bundles. I will be purchasing this day 1. I can’t wait to have two XBOX360′s.

11. theevilaires

LOL at the Sony sheep hating on this brilliant strategy by Microsoft. If you don’t like it then just pick up the stand alone game. You guys are really something, can’t be pleased.

12. OlderGamer

;)

13. Goliath

Wait, you guys really didn’t like the Splinter Cell games?!

14. OlderGamer

I know I don’t like them.

15. Len

I’m well up for this, looks great imo.

Had all the xbox one’s and really looking fwd to what they can do with this. :)

16. Michael O’Connor

“LOL at the Sony sheep hating on this brilliant strategy by Microsoft.”

Are you calling me a PS3 fanboy?

“The last iteration of which, Double Agent, sold well over a million on 360 alone ”

A million? Wow, stellar figures right there.

Microsoft are seriously over-estimating the popularity of this franchise. I will be *very* surprised if it does more than a million.

17. DaMan

it is a niche title.

only played the original, bored me to death. and I ‘m a huge stealth actions fan, loved all the Thief games and Manhunt.

18. The Hindle

Splinter Cell has never been a big selling franchise so why Ubisoft made it 360 only ill never know, even more so with Double Agent so poorly recieved plus its been 4 years since DA. All these factors has me wondering if the game will sell at all.

19. theevilaires

I’ve got all the Splinter Cells across both XBOX’s and this one will be the best by far. This will sell well. Just accept it sony sheep.

20. DaMan

I’m pretty sure the first Splinter Cell’s sales were way better than that.

21. Michael O’Connor

Splinter Cell *was* a big franchise.

It hasn’t been relevant in over four years though.

22. Freek

Ubisoft did go a little sequal crazy and ran the franchise into the ground. But this is supposed to be a return to form, wich is why it got delayed. Ubi realized SC had gotten tired and went back to the drawing board. With the right marketing they could have a hit.
    Sure, it’ll probably not do Modern Warfare/Final Fantasy numbers but it’s not entirely dead yet either.

23. Goliath

The reason the game is exclusive is that it was suppose to be one of the early titles on the XBox 360 in 06 or early 07. Ubisoft didn’t anticipate that in 2010 the game would be releasing to a market with a shared install base. They were just covering their asses. Splinter Cell Double Agent was a fantastic game; I played both the PS2 and XBox 360 versions and enjoyed both. People forget that Double Agent was really a last gen game towards the end of the PS2, Game Cube and XBox life cycles. It was also on the PC. All versions of the game were widely successful so to say that the game didn’t do well is horseshit. The Splinter Cell games have sold almost 25 million world wide across the current and last gen platforms. The first in ’02 sold 3 million on the XBox and about as much of the PS2. Chaos Theory is one of the best games last gen. What are you guys smoking? If you ever played and enjoyed a Splinter Cell game you’re looking forward to this game. The anticipation is huge.

24. Goliath

@ Freak

How did they run it into the ground? Splinter Cell was in ’02, Pandora Tomorrow in ’04 and Chaos Theory in ’05 and they were all great freaking games. They weren’t half assed! Double Agent was in ’06 and just came out at a time when gamers were transitioning from one gen to the next and if you look at how it sold in relation to say God of War II which eventual sold a bit upwards of 2 million, you’d see that it did really well and that’s only on the PS2. I mean Double Agent on the XBox has a metacritic score of 90 or something; all others are higher. The problem is Conviction has been delayed a long freaking time and other games have sought of replaced it in gamers’ consciousness. Like Splinter Cell was the top dog of Tom Clancy games last gen but this gen it’s been trumped by Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six which were pathetic last gen. Games like Gears of War, Uncharted, Call of Duty and Halo have sought of occupied gamers’ consciousness this gen but if this is as freaking good as a Chaos Theory of Pandora Tomorrow it could find that space again.

25. CenoBit

“A bundle for a game that nobody really cares about anyway?

Okay then.”

My thoughts EXACTLY!

26. NoxNoctisUmbra

all i see is black Xbox with game and 2 pads.. I rather see COOL logos and shit like that on it.

27. SunKing

28. Eregol

@O’Connor

@Tea
    Geez you’re a piece of work.
    I have never liked the Splinter Cell games. Not because I’m hating on MS. Just because I don’t like them.
    Nothing wrong with creating a bundle pack to sell new consoles, granted, but is there really any point in customised bundles?
    Retailers will sell the game with a console regardless of an official bundle or not.

I haven’t bought a proper ‘official’ bundle since the SNES days. But I always buy games with my new console purchases.

29. Michael O’Connor

“If it were a game “nobody really cares about” then I doubt it would be so widely and frequently reported upon by the press.”

The press simply recycles the information given to them by the media. Very, very rarely is there any actual journalism done by the press itself, nowadays.

There obviously *are* going to be people who will enjoy this, and still hold a torch for the franchise, but this will be a niche seller at best. Sam Fisher is no Kratos.

“Maybe hasn’t been relevant for 4 years because it’s been that long since one was released? (Not sure if that’s the right length of time?)”

And you could write a book on the horrendous development process behind this particular game. It’s been nothing short of a joke.

30. SunKing

True, Michael. However, the press report on stories they think people are interested in, which means more hits for them. As you said, there are people who enjoy Splinter Cell, will buy this game and so will be interested in any news about it.

Also, considering Splinter Cell is arguably one of Ubisoft’s biggest brands, they’ll put a tonne of marketing muscle behind it. That, combined with a strong critical reception (assuming it gets one), will make it more than a niche seller.

It probably won’t do God of War numbers, but Splinter Cell isn’t God of War, as most games aren’t.