Nomura: FF Versus XIII may not be shown at E3 due to changes

Wednesday, 17th February 2010 09:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffversusxiii2

Be afraid, kiddlewinks. Be very, very afraid.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII might not be shown at E3 in June due to changes in the game’s development, director Tetsuya Nomura has revealed in this week’s Famitsu.

He said changes to the world map were made, which originally had a small version of main character Noctis on the screen running about in a style that was similar to a previous Final Fantasy title. Said title wasn’t revealed as Famitsu didn’t reveal what it was.

It was then decided that it was altered to a style in the vein of another unknown FF title.

It’s because of these revisions that Nomura has said what he’s said.

Last October, he said it would be at E3 if the development team was “quick enough”.

The last public piece of video to come out of Final Fantasy Versus XIII was when a trailer was packed in with the Japanese demo of Final Fantasy XIII last April.

Since then, other then a tech demo at TGS last September, there’s been nothing outside of a private showing of new video at Jump Fiesta just before Christmas in Tokyo, which said “Revelation will come next time”.

Versus XIII will be out in the year 3000, at this rate, for PS3.

Thanks, FF-XIII.net.

1. Blerk

Good job Sony are working to a ten year plan.

2. Redh3lix

lol there’s something VERY wrong about this game what with the recent screenshot controversy. I see hardcore flame wars commin’

3. Johnny Cullen

D8

Redh3lix – Na. That’s FFXIII. This is the spin-off.

4. Gekidami

Wonder if the negative press XIII’s been getting has anything to do with these sudden changes…

5. psxman

I’m still of the opinion that I’d take FFXIII: Versus over FFXIII. I think I lost the appeal for the “Organic” looking FF after FFX/X-2.

Or at least, I won’t shout “DAY ONE!!!” when FFXIII gets some more hype added.

6. Erthazus

something wrong is here. I think at E3 there will be another CGI trailer so we could not forget about this title.

Or… Nomura wants to make an ideal Final Fantasy game after FFXIII West scores at Metacritic.

anyway… I like FFXIII Versus setting much more then FFXIII + its the first Final Fantasy with BLOOD and maybe GORE? and character looks like total badass and setting is more serious and real, so i’m looking forward for this.

7. onlineatron

No E3 because of a map screen?

I’m sure we could all live without seeing that.

8. Blerk

I’m kind of thinking that it’s actually “no E3 because this game is going fucking nowhere fast”. When you think about it, we’ve still seen absolutely nothing of it aside from a few pre-rendered CGI sequences and stills. We don’t even really know quite what it is.

9. Eregol

The change isn’t……………a 360 port?

No, it couldn’t be….

10. Johnny Cullen

We all thought that before.

And look what happened.

11. Galactic_Barret

Eh, its done when its done. I want it to be all it can be. If that means 2012 or soon after, so be it.

12. The Hindle

Vs 13 going to the 360 depends on how well FF 13 sells on it, if it flops it wont happen. If it doesnt flop expect vs 13 on the 360 within a year.

13. Psychotext

I don’t know why, but I’ve got the feeling that Vs isn’t going to make the jump. It’s developed on the same engine as FFXIII though, so I guess it’s not outside the realms of possibility.

14. Monk

[ May not ], So I have Hope.

I know, I too optimistic about FF Vs 13 :( .

15. The Hindle

You could just buy a Ps3 that way you can definatly get it

16. Blerk

Well.. providing they ever actually finish it. :-D

17. The Hindle

Im guessing next year with it being fully revealed at TGS.

18. Gekidami

I’d say the reason we’ve heard/seen so little of it is because they want XIII well out of the way first. Not because its not very far in development.

19. Eregol

XIII is out in japan and only 2 weeks from launch in the West…..I’d say it’s pretty much out the way.

Different dev teams though right?

20. Blerk

I would’ve agreed with you if they hadn’t just pulled the whole “well, perhaps not at E3″ thing, Geki.

21. justiceblob

I agree with @18, they dont want XIII to overshadow VS. And I dont think Sony would argue, its one of their fer high profile 3rd party exclusives. But I do think this could be a sign of it having a quick dip in the bountiful MS wallets

22. Monk

@ 15

I have, I wanna play it ASAP, that`s why :( .

23. Michael O’Connor

I find it interesting how many people want to play this game considering there hasn’t been a single ounce of gameplay revealed since the title was announced… years ago.

24. Erthazus

@23 it has some interesting stuff:

1) Interesting badass EMO-style character that is very popular in anime
    2) The setting (Real world and very DARK)
    3) First M rating Final Fantasy with blood and gore
    4) Story maybe is really damn serious.
    5) Tetsuya Nomura and Kingdom Hearts Team make this game
    6) Action Adventure game from Kingdom Hearts team

I’m actually interested in all 1,2,3,4,5,6 things.

25. Galactic_Barret

Well, Michael (can I call you Mike?), I figure its the mystery that makes it so appealing. ‘Is it M-rated? Is that blood? Whats a regular car doing in my FF?’ I mean, look at XIII; Before all the details were released, people were poring over every trailer and SS available, excited at the chance to know more about it (‘OMG! Shiva-cycle!’). Now that we know all about, it feels as if it isn’t what most hoped it would be. It’ll be the same with VS, just hopefully without the (minor?) letdown factor.

26. Michael O’Connor

Please, call me Michael. =)

“Whats a regular car doing in my FF?”

I don’t know, you tell me.

@Erthazus

It’s great to know that Square can still sell any product by checking off a list of generic JRPG / anime stereotypes, without even an ounce of gameplay.

“1) Interesting badass EMO-style character that is very popular in anime.”

Because emo characters are so new to Final Fantasy, amirite?

“2) The setting (Real world and very DARK)”

“3) First M rating Final Fantasy with blood and gore”

This is the first I’ve heard of this game having an M rating or having gore. Source?

“4) Story maybe is really damn serious.”

“5) Tetsuya Nomura and Kingdom Hearts Team make this game.”

“6) Action Adventure game from Kingdom Hearts team”

Nearly every single action adventure game Square has ever released has sucked. People generally agreed that the depressing majority of games out of Square’s office this generation have also been terrible.

Without any gameplay footage, it’s impossible to tell. The Kingdom Hearts style will *not* work with true-to-scale, life sized character.

27. Psychotext

Given the trailers so far… I’d say that’s likely to end up 100% correct. :D

28. Blerk

29. The Hindle

Cleary Micheal O connor doesnt like FF :)

30. Michael O’Connor

“Yeah, I was raising an eyebrow at the “M-rated” thing. When exactly did they say that?”

Look, he has his hair comfortably falling over his eyes! And he never smiles! And everyone dresses in black! It *must* be DARK AND MATURE!

“Cleary Micheal O connor doesnt like FF ”

Clearly the fact that Michael O connor owns every single numerical Final Fantasy, most of the spin-offs, numerous figures from the games, and other countless things related to the franchise would argue otherwise.

I *love* Final Fantasy. What I don’t like is when it falls back on lazy ideas and archetypes, especially when its fans try to pawn it off as original in the process.

31. The Hindle

Vs 13 could turn out to be a good game man give it chance

32. Michael O’Connor

“FF Vs 13 could turn out to be a good game man give it chance”

I will once I see some actual gameplay. It’s well overdue at this point.

33. Hunam

I am getting worried about the game to be honest. I much prefer the look and style of the game from what I’ve seen so far, but it sounds like it’s hit’s the same development hell FFXIII hit.

34. Erthazus

@Michael

1) Because emo characters are so new to Final Fantasy, amirite?

that one? YES and many anime fans want to see it or he looks like total badass character in this dark world.

2) The whole “real world” thing was done was a very prominent part of the design of both FFVIII and FFVII.

You serious? You damn serious? From what i saw from CGI its really Dark. I can’t explain. Its just atmosphere

3) First M rating Final Fantasy with blood and gore”

Square Enix representatives have commented that Versus may be the darkest Final Fantasy game yet. (c)

and from CGI it looks really bloody as hell.

4) Story must likely will involve an angst-ridden teen spending 50 hours whining about their personal problems before coming to the realisation that NOBODY GIVES A SHIT and getting over them.

You are not right. The story is probably ADAPTATION from one of the William Shakespeare masterpieces. Even CGI always use something with Shakespeare quotation.

5) This is a good thing? Tetsuya Nomura is one of the most generic character designers in the industry.

Actually he is not that Generic in developing interesting design in characters and it looks just fine.
    but the other good thing is a Kingdom Hearts Team.

6) Nearly every single action adventure game Square has ever released has sucked.

I absolutely agree, but now Square Enix have a chance to prove that they are going to kick ass and they can’t screw Final Fantasy franchise anyway.

35. Blerk

They’ve screwed the FF franchise a number of times in the past, of course. Dirge of Cerberus, anyone? :-)

36. Psychotext

I could probably put together an adaptation of a Shakespeare masterpiece…

…but that wouldn’t make it good.

37. Blerk

Let me guess – Romeo doesn’t serenade Juliet, he stalks her with his night-vision goggles, right?

38. Psychotext

Have you been going through my first drafts again?

39. Johnny Cullen

XD

40. Phoenixblight

I say TGS this year when the FFXIII dust has settled.

41. The Hindle

You and me both PB

42. DaMan

no comments until I see at least one gameplay video.