Bethesda: New Vegas will “take you hundreds of hours to explore”

Tuesday, 16th February 2010 21:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

newvegas

Bethesda’s Pete Hines has been talking Fallout: New Vegas and says that the game will take you “hundreds of hours to explore every nook and cranny”.

Good to hear.

Speaking with USA Today, Hines revealed a bit of backstory on the game, stating that it takes place in Sin City on the strip in 2280, more than 200 after the nuclear holocaust, but just a few years after the events in Fallout 3.

At the beginning, “your character is shot and left in a shallow grave in the desert”, and the package you were delivering is missing. A robot digs you out and takes you to Doc Mitchell who makes you whole once more.

“Unlike the previous Fallouts, where you start in a vault and you are a vault dweller, this one starts with a curve ball,” said Hines. “You were a courier, and you were obviously carrying something that somebody wanted. Part of the story is finding out what you had and what they took.

“[The game] has a brand new, fresh experience that has a familiar feel of Fallout, but otherwise it’s an entirely new game and a new look, with Joshua trees and tumbleweeds and blue skies.

“Vegas is up and running. It is not a ghost town. It still exists and thrives. There are casinos, and you can go down onto the Strip. It will have a very different feel from that standpoint.

“It is a massive game world that will take you hundreds of hours to explore every nook and cranny.”

Hines says that there are no characters from FO3 in New Veags, but you will hear about the events of that game through a “self-contained story”, meaning you don’t have to have played the other FO games to know what is going on.

The game’s size will be comparable with Washington DC in Fallout 3, and New Vegas will be full of lizards and more gun-totting mutants than you can throw poker chips at.

More on Fallout: New Vegas will be revealed in the April issue of PC Gamer, which hits stands on March 2.

Game’s out in the fall.

1. jnms

Fallout 3 would take hundreds of hours to explore every nook and cranny. But there is a lot of empty space, so who would really want to look under every rock and cliff?

2. Tamo123

I can’t wait for this game! Fallout 3 was incredible, here’s hoping for it to continue onto this title.

3. Phoenixblight

@1 Exactly what I was thinking the story was only 10 hours at best and even then it was horrible

4. PolyGoneWithTheWind

Will Siegfried and Roy be in it as bonus playable characters?

5. Psychotext

who would really want to look under every rock and cliff?

I found a lot of very, very cool stuff that way. There’s a shitload of easter eggs in the Fallout world.

6. Hunam

I like it when they do stuff like this, kind of tailors each person experience and personalises what they find.

7. joshua nash

just what i like to hear, looks like i’ll have lots of scaving to do & maybe i’ll find some unique weapons too

8. Gheritt White

Fuck that, I have a life! It’s the same reason I put down Fallout 3 after eight hours.

I certainly don’t mind playing a CRPG for 30 – 40 hours, maybe even 50… but 100? There’s too many other games I want to play and I wouldn’t have the time to fit them all in if I committed myself to such a big game world. You might as well play an MMO!

9. Blerk

The story was only ten hours? Bloody hell, phoenix, did you not stop to look at anything? :-D

I spent 120 hours on Fallout 3 and the various add-on packs. Which is ‘a long time’.

10. The Hindle

More Fallout is always good news for me

11. RGW1982

I Would Have Bought Fallout 3 GOTY Edition But Leveling Up In A Shooter Makes Absolutely No Sense…

12. Psychotext

Face, meet palm.

13. Blerk

Son, you have messed up good.

14. RGW1982

If I’m A Level 1 Character & I’m Fighting A Level 4 Creature It’s A Hell Of A Lot Harder For Me To Kill It With My Gun, But Yet If I’m Level 6 Character Using The EXACT SAME Gun, I Can Kill The Level 4 Creature Like Nothing.. That’s Retarded.

I Say Again, Leveling Up In A Shooter Makes Absolutely No Sense..

15. Blerk

That’s because it isn’t a shooter, you moron.

16. RGW1982

@ 15

No, Not At All.. Because They Don’t Even Have Guns In The Game.. Retard

17. Psychotext

Edit – Actually, I’m not getting drawn into this shit again. RGW lives for it.

18. RGW1982

Role Playing + First Person + Guns = A RPG Shooter, Which Is Exactly What The Game Is.

19. Johnny Cullen

Clearly Blerk, you’re not getting logic.

If a game has guns, it MUST be shooter.

*hopes the sarcasm is noticed*

20. DJ Deathstar

Yeah this is definately a shooter alright!
    Its up there with my favourites like C&C Red Alert, Heavy Rain and Fable 2…

21. The Hindle

I really liked the achievement art for Fallout 3, the pip boy cracks me up everytime :)

22. Gheritt White

“If I’m A Level 1 Character & I’m Fighting A Level 4 Creature It’s A Hell Of A Lot Harder For Me To Kill It With My Gun, But Yet If I’m Level 6 Character Using The EXACT SAME Gun, I Can Kill The Level 4 Creature Like Nothing.. That’s Retarded”

Yes, but it makes total sense! In real life, people become much better marksmen after they’ve had some training and practice – or, you might say, gained some experience – even with the same weaponry. So a paradigm does exist – far from being retarded, it’s a cleverly thought out way to model progression.

23. RGW1982

No, Because I’d Have To Shoot Them Several More Time In The Head @ Level 1 Using The Same Gun, But Probably Only One Head Shot If I Was At Level 6 With The Exact Same Gun, The Problem Is The Gun Is Becoming Stronger Because You Are Leveling Up By Shooting Things, The Gun Should Not Become More Powerful Unless They Were To Implement A System In Which You’re Actually Upgrading Your Gun, Unfortunately The Leveling Up Is That System & It Makes No Sense.. The Gun Would Do The Same Damage If You’re A Level 1 Or Level 6, Therefore Shooting The Creature In The Head At Any Level Would Have The Same Effect, But It Doesn’t.

Experience Doesn’t Make A Gun More Powerful.

24. Gheritt White

It’s only a paradigm – all metaphors eventually break down under microscopic scrutiny.

That said, I reckon Fallout 3 is crap anyway so you’re not missing much, IMHO.

25. MushroomStamp

I’m always happy to see a lot of content in games.. but a couple 100… at least 100 hours of that I would NEVER see. NO game has ever been that great to keep me playing that long.

26. RGW1982

@ 19

Yes, A First Person Game With Guns Does Qualify As A FPS, Fallout 3 Being A FPS/RPG.. Even In Condemned 2 You Unlock A FPS Mode When You Beat The Game, Why Is It Called FPS Mode You Might Ask?, Because It Has Guns.

You Might Think You’re Being A Smart Ass While Looking Like A Dumb Ass But Regardless Of What You Think, The Fact Remains It’s A Shooter As You Use Guns The Majority Of The Game.

27. Phoenixblight

“Why Is It Called FPS Mode You Might Ask?, Because It Has Guns.”

No its a FPS because you control the character in First Person so Gears of War is a FPS? No it isn’t because you control the character third person. I rather read BDH BS then this idiot’s posts.

28. RGW1982

The Game (Condemned 2) Is Already In First Person Retard, It’s Called FPS Mode Because All They Did Was Add Guns To That Mode, Again The GAME Is Already 1st Person.

So What Are You Stupid? Or Maybe You Just Need To Learn To Read?

29. Blerk

That’s a bit fresh coming from someone who doesn’t know how to write.

30. anjin

rAnDoM cApAtALizaTiON iS VeRY AnNoYinG

31. DJ Deathstar

I’ve just realised something in all this, the only way in fallout 3 that you’re going to do more damage with a pistol at level 7 than level 1 is how many exp you’ve put into the small guns section. If you hadn’t put any more in there you would do the same amount of damage. You do more because you become more proficient with that type of weapon and generally they still do the same amount of damage, if you want to up the damage in fallout more you need to repair the weapons that has one of the main factors on damage as its condition affects its damage

32. RGW1982

@ 29

Is That All You Under Educated People Can Say?

You Got Nothing Relevant To The Discussion To Say Because You’re A Moron, Period.

“You do more because you become more proficient with that type of weapon and generally they still do the same amount of damage”

No That Is False, As The Damage Increases As You Level Up, Experience Points Making The Gun Damage More Powerful Is Just A Flawed.

33. ygrsh

百度
    [url=http://www.sina.com]sina[/url]
    [url="http://www.baidu.com"]baidu[/url]
    [url=www.google.com]google[/url]
    [link=http://www.yahoo.com]yahoo[/link]
    [a/]http://www.yahoo.com[a]yahoo[/a]

34. ygrsh

runescape gold
    runescape goldYou write well, another literary talent