Japanese FFXIII sells over 1.5 million in week one

Monday, 21st December 2009 11:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii4

Famitsu’s confirmed a Japanese week one sales figure of 1,516,532 units for Final Fantasy XIII.

This is for the week ending December 20. The game launched on December 17.

According to this report, the RPG has resulted in almost 250,000 PS3 hardware sales.

The Media Create hardware figures should be awesome. Watch for those next week.

1. Blerk

Now that’s a hardware bump!

It never fails to amaze me that people wait until the week of release to actually pick up a machine, though. What if there was a shortage?

2. Michael O’Connor

Pretty damn impressive for Japan, but did anyone actually expect this to do any worse? Congrats to Square for the success of this title; it’s entirely warranted and deserved.

I’ve been very critical of a lot of the decisions made for this game, but lots of things I’ve heard have made me hopeful that this will be more than a teen angst fest.

3. Patrick Garratt

Serious business. Can’t wait to see what it does here and the US.

4. Blerk

Apparently people are saying it’s ‘sort of like FFX’, according to the EG forums.

It’s almost a shame they didn’t release the 360 version in Japan. Just to see what would’ve happened. :-D

5. Michael O’Connor

“Apparently people are saying it’s ’sort of like FFX’, according to the EG forums.”

That would be an insult, not a compliment.

6. Blerk

“Very linear progress, big focus on story”, apparently. Which I’m taking to mean “it’s a great big long corridor with too many cut-scenes”. :-D

7. sennasnit

The “first 10 minutes” video i saw last week was so good i almost shat myself.

8. Phoenixblight

“Apparently people are saying it’s ’sort of like FFX’

That would actually be a compliment in my eyes especially compared to the last FF.

9. zoopdeloop

It is the most linear title in the FF series.It’s more like an interactive movie.There are a lot of cutscenes but they are kinda short.The story is good but too much melodrama at some parts for kids.
    I remember when they started development over this title SE had one goal to achieve the same level of success VII had.That’s clearly not gonna happen

10. Blerk

At least they’re not saying it’s like FFX-2. :-D

11. Psychotext

One of the lowest opening weeks for a FF game in Japan, but that’s hardly surprising. Excellent sales given the size of the userbase though.

12. Jadeskye

@Blerk, i rather enjoyed FFX-2 >_>;;

13. zoopdeloop

battles resemble a lot FFX-2

14. Blerk

/o\

I could’ve probably managed the myriad of FFX-2 faults if the battle system hadn’t been utter gash. Although at least you did feel involved with X-2, unlike XII. :-D

15. Jadeskye

i actually thought the battlesystem in ffx-2 was one of the best of recent years, kind of a call back to ff7.

16. BabyJesus

How many people have more than 1 ps3 in Japan?

Seriously, thats insane.

17. Johnny Cullen

I would like to think one of those 1.5 million units would get here for me before January 2nd. :(

18. DaMan

I’ve seen a couple of reviews on Gamefaqs, and read their board.. it’s ugly. well, for me at least. looks like they’ve made a game very similar to FFX, but with even more lame cast of characters and even more rubbish plot.

19. The Hindle

Quarter of a million in 4 days impressive.

20. Psychotext

Believe it or not, the PS3 was on sale before FFXIII came out. :P

21. Neolucifer

@Psychotext

Lowest ? Some forecasts and the first day sales seems to indicates a two million mark , or pretty close for the first week or first few weeks.

Wich will make it an equivalent or better seller than FFX … and obviously above FFXII .

By all accounts , it will outperform the last 3 FF games (i dont want to count it , but still , FFX-2 … FFX and FFXII) and reach and maybe get past FFVII and IX .

FVIII remaining the biggest launch with an initial 2.5 figure .

22. Psychotext

Those are the first week sales Neolucifer (1.5m), which we can directly compare against the first week of the other Final Fantasy games. That’s where the “lowest” comment comes from. Anything else past that point is just speculation on future sales.

23. Bleak Harvest

Does my import count as one of those 1.5 million copies?

Anyway, I’m about 6 or 7 hour into the game and it’s great. Characters aren’t overly annoying, surprisingly.

24. Gekidami

I’m assume so i mean its still a copy sold even if its sold to someone outside of Japan. Unless it was stolen.

25. Bleak Harvest