The Legend of Zelda is the best game ever according to Game Informer

Monday, 23rd November 2009 06:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

zeldaartmain

Game Informer celebrated passing 200 issues recently, so to celebrate, they compiled a list of 200 games, which they think are the best games of all time.

The Legend of Zelda for the NES was the winner, followed then by Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Grand Theft Auto III and Half Life 2.

We’re absolutely sickened though that Metal Gear Solid 3 is near all the way the bottom though at 191. Sickened.

Find the top ten below, with the full 200 at Nintendo Everything.

1. The Legend of Zelda (NES, 1987)
2. Super Mario Bros. (NES, 1985)
3. Tetris (PC, 1984)
4. Grand Theft Auto III (PS2, 2001)
5. Half-Life 2 (PC, 2004)
6. Doom (PC, 1993)
7. Metroid (NES, 1986)
8. Final Fantasy III (SNES, 1994)
9. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, 1990)
10. Ms. Pac-Man (Coin-op, 1981)

1. Anders

Legend of Zelda as number one? Madness.

2. Dannybuoy

Bah! My personal fave of all time is Uncharted 2. Seriously. Followed by C5 Clive on the ZX Spectrum. Not seriously

3. Johnny Cullen

Sickened that Metal Gear Solid 3 is that low on the list, with MGS1 and MGS2 higher.

Dont get me wrong, I bloody love all of the games, but I hold MGS3 in higher regard then MGS1 and MGS2. Only MGS4 is better.

MGS4 > MGS3 > MGS1 > MGS2

4. Gekidami

Load of crap. Another mag jumping on the ‘older = better’ bandwagon. Because y’know; If you prefer something old it totally proves you’ve been around for long and have taste right? Even if the games werent all that good (seriously Zelda on NES?).

5. Johnny Cullen

The only great games from the top 5 I reckon is Half Life 2 and GTA III. Those are the lot I’d think stand out to me.

To be fair though, I wasn’t born then when the top three was out. Just GTA and Half Life.

6. Anders

Isn’t Super Metroid loads better than Metroid? That’s how I recall it, at least.

7. Gekidami

A Link To The Past is also alot better then Zelda on NES.
    But they blantantly just aimed for ‘older = better’.

8. Blerk

That’s the worst list since… the last one.

9. Bulk Slash

That is the shittest list ever, although MGS1 is definitely the best in the series. :p

I’m actually playing a lot of NES games at the moment, and many just aren’t very good by today’s standards, Zelda and Metroid particularly don’t stand up well and were both easily eclipsed by the SNES sequels.

However, both Contras, TMNT Arcade, Kirby and MegaMan 2 are all still very good. Punch-Out isn’t too bad either.

10. Michael O’Connor

The lack of Elite on this list makes any inherent relevance or serious merit it might have had completely null and void.

11. The Hindle

I wouldnt put Gears of war in that list personally and Beyond good and evil at 200 thats harsh.

12. G1GAHURTZ

13. Retroid

SNES Zelda > NES Zelda
    SNES Metroid > NES Metroid

/Joeys list

If Paradroid, Wizball and Nebulus (I would accept Castelian, the NES version) aren’t on there I’m going to burn down their offices.

14. The Hindle

Apart from Gears took its cover system from Killswitch and its camera angle from Resi Evil 4

15. G1GAHURTZ

But it also brought Horde mode, which you can almost guarantee will be cut and pasted into games for years to come.

16. Gekidami

TimeSplitters 2 already pitched players against wave after wave of enemies if i remember correctly…

17. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry, my mistake. Horde was in Gears 2.

Errr…

Chainsaw kills and executions?

18. Anders

“If you’re talking about bringing originality, and doing things that were imitated in games for years to come after them, then I don’t see too much wrong here.”

Definitely not. Yet they said to list the -best- games, not the most groundbreaking. And if they were, Half-Life 2 shoud’ve been replaced by the original Half-Life.

19. CroMagnon

I’m sorry, what?!

Not a single entry for any of the games from either the Hitman or Monkey Island series?

Insane, I say. Insane in the membrane.

20. Tonka

WTF is RE4?

21. freedoms_stain

“The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivious (360/PC, 2006)”

Oblivious?

22. theevilaires

I fully agree with you J.C. 1000%, MGS3 is my all time favorite game. I can’t believe MGS1 didn’t make it into the top 10 but Super Mario Bro’s did twice. LMAO, oh well it’s their opinion.

23. Eregol

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past is my all time favorite.
    I have a SNES just so I can play it as much as I want, as it was intended.
    I love MGS3, and even bought Subsistence to play on my PS3. But it isn’t something I would go out of my way for.
    Ico on the other hand I could easily spare time for.