Halo 3: ODST buyers polled over next purchase

Tuesday, 22nd September 2009 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

otx survey

Halo 3: ODST users were polled by OTX regarding what title they’ll be purchasing next.

According to the results of the poll, users plan to purchase three games within the next few months, and Modern Warfare 2, Assassins Creed 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 were the most desired titles.

Most of the top 20 games charted by the group were composed of Xbox 360 titles, but God of War III was a popular response with 18 percent claiming it was to be their next purchase.

Why all this matters, we don’t know. But there it is anyway.

Via Joystiq (IndustryGamers).

1. Neolucifer

is there any surprise ? People buying an overpriced glorified dlc wouldnt mind buying an uninspired sequel of the other popular game .

Ps : it’s not a jab at the 360 .. just that there are far more deserving and interesting exclusives and multiplatform games to support some even included in that list .

2. Psychotext

Just so I’m clear… I don’t like CoD:MW, it wasn’t to my tastes. That said, what on earth makes you say it’s an “Uninspired sequel”? What counts as inspired?

3. No_PUDding

Something indie? Something AAA but risky?

I can list TONS and TONS of those types of games if you want.

But to be fair, those games are just that; they are experimental. Even the likes of Mirrors Edge, Brutal Legend, Far Cry 2. None of them are quite as perfectly thought out as somethign easy to execute on, that is a tried and tested forumlae.

So we can’t expect people to adopt these ‘inspired’ titles, becuase they aren’t as matured mechanicallyas titles that have been iterated upon, until they are stale.

4. Psychotext

But what’s an inspired “Sequel”? Does Far Cry 2 fit that billing? (it’s a sequel for sure)

5. Neolucifer

well simply put , and while it’s an often unpopular opinion and wont change any sales , i dont feel that MW2 is a good enough sequel or rather will be .

I dont see that many changes starting with the graphics to begin with . So sure it will have a new solo campaign , some new weapons and perks , but color me unimpressed so far .

L4D2 was often bashed for pretty much the same offenses , but at least is coming only one year after the first game .

IW even had Treyarch to pitch in and cover for them one game , and yet they still deliver the same amount of stuff (imo) as l4d2 .

I feel that IW is quite lucky some people arent happy with Treyarch games (myself included) to put MW2 under some far better light

@Psychotext

Actually yeah farcry , while not a fan neither , would be a quite inspired and innovative enough sequel , especially given the circumstances and Crytek leaving ubisoft for other endeavours like Crysis .

I feel that in that short list , Assassin creed 2 or splinter cell might fit the bill as well .

6. Psychotext

I can see what you’re saying on Assassin’s Creed & Splinter Cell. Not feeling Bioshock 2 though? I can’t say I’m entirely sure where they’re going with it… I still say I’d much rather a prequel.

7. No_PUDding

And inspired sequel is something that uses the IP as a vessel for sales, but still strives for innovation.

That, I don’t particualrly understand or like, but if it gets the job done, then fine.

Far Cry is nothing like Far Cry 2. The only similiarity is the sandbox appraoch, and even then Far Cry was far more linear.

Anyway, if you want to nitpick over specific titles, I can use others.

8. No_PUDding

Not at all. Assassins Creed was marketed superbly, rolling off the back of the Da Vinci Code fad, and it was also fresh thematically. Now it’s an established franchise. Now what are they doing? Refining it!

Welcome to the introduction of another major franchise, this generation! In 6 years time, it won’t be innovative, but it will be superbly polished experienced.

I remember when my friend heard about this new game, ‘Call of Duty’, while we were playing Medal of Honour.

Splinter Cell is such an anomaly. It was fresh, it’s arguably beign refreshed. It’s not a big IP anyway.

And Bioshock, I’d argue this would fit nicely into the Assassins Creed parallel. Wait for Bioshock 3 and we’ll start getting the fatigue, if 2 doesn’t end up utter shit.

9. SticKboy

GTA 3 is the very definition of an inspired sequel.

Same goes for Resident Evil 4, Burnout Paradise, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and Super Mario Bros. 3.

That’s just off the top of my head.