Rumor: Yakuza 3 “currently” being localized for Western release

Sunday, 20th September 2009 22:25 GMT By Nathan Grayson

yakuza61

Well, that was quick. After being declared a “big point of discussion” by Sega a mere three days ago, 1UP‘s reporting that Yakuza 3 is now being localized for a Western release. Quite a turnaround time, that.

The news comes from “sources close to the project.”

Great news for all you wannabe Japanese mafiosos if true, but we’re still skeptical. Thus, the “rumor” tag.

Thanks, Gekidami.

1. Suikoden Fan

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes!!!

2. Cort

/mulls probability that this will be one of those things people demand angrily then don’t actually buy.

3. Psychotext

I’ll be buying it. :)

4. No_PUDding

I am torn.

I do not want the game at all, the demo was pretty fuckign awesome, and I love the eccentricity of it. And the Japanese..ness of it. AND I want to support more niche HD games comign from Japan.

BUT, I really don’t realistically see myself buying it.

I AM part of the problem. But I also haven’t got a massive disposible income.

5. Retroid

Just bloody SUBTITLE IT.

Seriously; slap English subs on the original release and us people who’re interested in it will import it with sod-all cost to Sega.

6. Progguitarist

Absolutely agree with Retroid. No need for crappy American voice overs.

7. Herlock

Almost 1 and half for just put subtitles…Japanese studio are incredibles…don sale your games your economie is great!
    I hope they do that for the 4.

8. Gekidami

To be fair whilst people who have been following the games difficulty to leave Japan may not mind Japanese audio with just subs to speed things up some people who have just heard about the game may be put off by it.

9. Blerk

Haven’t we been down this path once already?

/remains sceptical

10. JonFE

I mean can you imagine watching Shogun and have Toronaga-sama addressing Anjin-san fully in English? Terrible I tell ya ;)

Sure, some people may be put off, but Sega can twist the inclusion of subtitles-only as a way for the game to remain authentic and keep them happy!

/is not afraid to show his age…

11. Blerk

Some of the voice work in the first game was actually quite well done. But having said that, I did think the second game was better for just having the subs.

12. Michael O'Connor

“Absolutely agree with Retroid. No need for crappy American voice overs.”

“Why would anyone prefer this game to have terrible (we might as well admit it, they’re not going to be any good, are they?) English voice-overs is beyond me.”

As Blerk said, the voice acting in the first game was pretty decent, so there’s no reason that won’t be the case this time around either, especially if they get the same people.

I find it funny that people have been screaming for a localisation for the previous title and this one, and bitching at SEGA for not making it so, and now that someone has announced that it’s actually coming west… they’re just bitching about something else.

Proof as always that most people on the internet love to do nothing but bitch.

I’ll very glad to see this is coming westward. Good decision, SEGA, if its true. I’ll be picking this up when it comes out, if it lives up to the quality of the past titles.

13. Blerk

Perhaps they could offer a choice this time, given the extra space on the disc – English dub or Japanese with subs.

I’d pick this up in a second if I actually had a PS3 to play it on.

14. Michael O'Connor

I wouldn’t be surprised if it had both. They might as well do something with all the empty space that will undoubtedly be on the Blu-ray disc.

15. JonFE

“Proof as always that most people on the internet love to do nothing but bitch.”

Michael, I wasn’t bitching as you so eloquently put it. I was just pointing out that a cheaper, quicker (and better IMHO) subtitles-only solution could work very effectively here.

16. ChrisPilote

If this is true, we’ll probably know more by the end of the week. I can’t wait to visit Kantou in glorious HD :D

17. Hero of Canton

I’ve heard this is on the slate for a PAL localisation, too. No idea on the reliability of my source, but I believe it.

Then again, perhaps that’s because I *want* to.

18. Blerk

Who can photoshop Kazuma onto this? :-D

19. Patrick Garratt

haha

20. No_PUDding

You know… It literally has already been done on NeoGAF Blerk? Or is that the joke?

21. Michael O'Connor

“Who can photoshop Kazuma onto this? :-D”

Gotta admit, this turned out better than I expected it to.

22. Blerk

I didn’t know it’d already been done, no. Guess originality is dead after all.

Michael’s is better. :-)

23. Michael O'Connor

Why thank you. I would have to agree. :D

24. Patrick Garratt

*applauds*

25. No_PUDding

Originality isn’t dead, becuase Michael’s was pretty awesome.

26. Michael O'Connor

Improved, fgj

27. Syrok

Oooh, me too. Clicky

28. ChrisPilote

hahaha, nice one. :)

29. Michael O'Connor

I concede defeat. That’s awesome.

30. No_PUDding