Bon Jovi backs Love in GH5 Cobain spat

Thursday, 17th September 2009 09:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bonjovi

Jon Bon Jovi’s added weight to complaints about the use of Kurt Cobain’s likeness in Guitar Hero 5, saying he was also approached by Activision about appearing in the game.

“I had the paperwork, they wanted me to be on that game and I just passed,” he told the BBC.

“But no-one even broached the subject with me that I would be singing other people’s stuff. I don’t know how I would have reacted to that. I don’t know that I would have wanted it either.”

Courtney Love, Cobain’s widow, has threatened legal action about the use of the singer’s Avatar in the music title. Activision has said it has documents signed by Love allowing it to go ahead.

The problem appears to be that Cobain can be used as a playable Avatar to sing other people’s songs.

“I don’t know that I would have wanted it either,” said Bon Jovi.

“To hear someone else’s voice coming out of a cartoon version of me? I don’t know. It sounds a little forced.”

Thanks, Johnny.

1. Phoenixblight

looks like Activision is in a lot of trouble.

2. Blerk

I suspect that will be the tipping point for the whole case if it goes to court – did Activision make it clear that Kurt’s avatar would be singing other peoples’ songs as well as his own?

3. Phoenixblight

Well with Bon saying not even he was told that when he was approached. Its just placing evidence supporting Courtney.

4. cookiejar

I guess Activision were after anyone Dead or Alive for GH5

…..I’ll get my coat.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

It’s a freakin’ GAME……get over it people…

6. Hero of Canton

@Ghetto – Presumably if your wife/girlfriend/whatever died, you’d be entirely happy with someone putting her in a game and giving her a man’s voice?

7. DarkElfa

OMFG, who cares if a CG version of a dead guy is singing bad music other than his own except his money grubbing attention whore of a widow. Answer: Nobody.

BTW, its my opinion and I don’t expect anyone to share it or agree with it. I just thought I would add that since there are apparently a few members here who have an issue with people sharing opinions they don’t agree with.

@Hero: The guy was a drug user who blew his brains out, I don’t think singing Black Betty is going to damage his eternal memory any more than having him be in a video game of any kind would. I understand where you’re coming from but let’s not pretend that this has anything to do with anything other than attention and money.

8. Phoenixblight

Yeah you would think so but people still make Kurt, Elvis, etc immortals.

Really I only care because I want to see Activision burn or atleast squirm.

9. DarkElfa

Well Phoenix, let’s be honest, everyone wants to see Activision burn. ;)

I just don’t want the bitch from Hole to be the one to do it.

10. Phoenixblight

WHo else is gonna do it? Anyone who is smart enough avoids them altogether.

11. DarkElfa

Valid point, perhaps we could find a way to have them both burn though, a win, win situation.

Hell, toss in Kanye West and Fox news and I’ll bring the marsh mellows.

12. Stephany Nunneley

:-D – DarkElfa

13. DarkElfa

Much love Stephany, I do what I must. ;)