Square teases Nier Replicant in latest issue of Famitsu

Wednesday, 9th September 2009 22:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

neirreplicant

The new issue of Famitsu has a two-page advert for Nier Replicant with the tagline “Beyond revenge lies crazed desperation.”

This is a Square Enix thing, which promises to reveal what it’s all about next week.

If the “Neir” part sounds familiar to you, 1UP has you covered.

Nier’s the Cavia-developed action game slated for PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2010, and Square wanted it to be a “hit in the West”, so plans to release it in Japan were shelved for a while, but Nier was formally announced for Japan today under the name Nier Gestalt.

As far as Nier Replicant is concerned though, guess we’ll find out next week.

Hit the link.

1. Blerk

If I’m reading it right, there are now actually two games – Nier Gestalt (which was previously announced as just ‘Nier’) and Nier Replicant. According to IGN PS3, Famitsu now lists Gestalt as being for 360 only, and there are no platforms at all mentioned for Replicant.

We’ll probably have to wait for next week to figure it all out properly.

2. Blerk

According to Kotaku, the plot…. gets more confusing!

3. Phoenixblight

damn Japanese and their complicating ways of doing things.

4. Gekidami

Do people even care about Square games that arnt Final Fantasy anymore?

5. Blerk

I don’t think they cared about them before, never mind ‘any more’. :-D

6. Phoenixblight

I did atleast in the PsOne era, can’t remember very many released in the Ps2 era that weren’t FF. I mean KH was a damn good series. But PsOne had quite a few out of FF; Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, Xenogears. Those were all very good games. Damn now I am getting nostalgic.

But for this Gen I am steering clear of non FF obviously they can’t do it right. All of them have been horrible games. If it isn’t Kitase or Nomura I will be using my Gamefly and not buying them.

7. Blerk

Ah, I was talking specifically about their non-RPG stuff. On the whole I’ve often liked their non-FF RPGs better than the Final Fantasy ones.

8. Phoenixblight

Ah, I can’t remember any non rpg stuff, the only thing that comes to mind is Bouncer and Ehrgeiz and Bushido Blade.

KH, Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, parasite Eve are on a higher plane then most FFs.

9. Gekidami

Parasite Eve was a survival horror not an RPG wasnt it?

10. Michael O'Connor

In typical Square fashion, it was more of a Survival HoRPG.

11. Phoenixblight

Never heard the term HoRPG before but it had all its RPG elements except in battle it was like Star Ocean where you could move and such. Very good game, infact I am gonna see if I can find it. I can’t wait for 3rd Birthday btw.