Gearbox boss wants something new from Bungie and Infinity Ward

Monday, 22nd June 2009 16:14 GMT By Mike

odst1b1

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has said that although he loves teh Halo and Modern Warfare, he wants Bungie and Infinity Ward to tread new paths in terms of genre.

“I keep waiting to hear what Bungie is going to do that’s not Halo,” he told VideoGamer at E3.

“Those guys are amazing, right? They walk on water! And the same with Infinity Ward. It’s like, dude I’m totally psyched to get my Call of Duty fix every year, but you guys are amazing! What else have you got? Can you give me something I haven’t seen before?”

However, Pitchford says he understands the nature of the business and that in the current climate, wearing unfamiliar shoes could prove too risky.

“The folks that are innovating need to be rewarded so that the folks that are making big bets can take that risk,” he said.

“It’s too big of a risk for Infinity Ward to do anything but what they’re doing, because there’s too much value and there’s really big scope for it.”

1. Khanivor

Maybe Bungie should take over Brothers in Arms, because sure as shit Gearboxhave driven that one into the ground.

Still, they have that space marine game, which is totally fresh idea and never been touched on before.

2. Mike

:D

3. G1GAHURTZ

ARGH!!

Something never done before =/= refined quality!!!

4. NiceFellow

I know its the internet, but spelling…

too risky, not to risky, etc. etc.

While I agree with the sentiment, isn’t Gearbox in a bit of a ‘kettle/pot’ stance with this one?

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

reasonable request

6. absolutezero

I like how solidly the dev is standing behind Borderlands. Unlike when they released BiA.

I was hoping Bungee would do something totally shocking when they bought themselves back from MS. Not a chance. Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo Pinball.

7. Gekidami

Well i’m guessing that even if Bungie are free of MS they’re probably still locked up in contracts to make new Halo games. In the end Bungie dont even own Halo any more.

8. chickenbutt

Perhaps a Halo MMO next?

9. SwiftRanger

Myth 4 Bungie, pls do it. Infinity Ward… euh, yeah, make the ultimate cinematic pinball game or something like that.

10. Lutz

ChickenButt: That was in the works, but was canned.

11. rainer

How many people from the old Bungie are still left at it, I’d guess not many. I would be surprised to see the current Bungie move away from FPS genre as that’s all there known for now by the general gaming audience.

Infinity Ward have always been an FPS studio from the get go so I wouldn’t expect anything different from them.