Ruffian project: “Crackdown 1.5? That’s generous. It’s more like 1.25″

Wednesday, 25th February 2009 10:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdowna21

Microsoft should get on and announce this. There’ll be nothing left before too long.

A UK publishing source has reliably informed VG247 that the unannounced Crackdown game in development at Ruffian is a multiplayer-only effort.

“Crackdown 1.5? That’s generous,” our man added. “It’s more like 1.25.”

When pushed on whether or not the project was definitely underway at Ruffian, the chatterer was unequivocal: “Oh yes, it is true.”

We’ve verified the lack of single-player with two other dev sources, who described the information as “good”.

The game is supposedly being scheduled for “late 2009″.

Ruffian, the newly-formed Scottish developer, announced this week that it’s taken on another two Crackdown veterans, and was mainly formed initially from Realtime Worlds staffers.

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

1. Mike

Is this just gonna be an add-on to the original or a completely new, boxed title?

2. Blerk

No single-player, no sale.

3. Patrick Garratt

I honestly don’t know.

4. Mike

Blerk’s right. The game “IS” the single player element. Why Ruffian thinks anyone cares about multiplayer is beyond me. Unless it’s going to be a console MMO, which could be kind of interesting, I guess.

5. Blerk

I suppose it could just be a re-release of the original with some extras and a beefed up multiplayer. Or it could just be a DLC pack for the original. Or an XBLA game. Or some mix of the three.

Would seem weird to do a full retail release of a multi-player only version of a game which is best-known for its single-player mode, though.

6. Rhythm

Crackdown was great in single player but the co-op was *excellent*. If they revise the city a little and furnish the game with a ton of proper co-op missions I could definitely see the logic behind releasing an MP-only version.

7. OrphanageExplosion

An XLBA specific multi-player romp over and above the original’s somewhat limited Live support would be awesome, if rather disappointing since we’ve been waiting so long for a sequel.

8. Captain Fruitloop

Well, I’d much more fun playing it single-player than in co-op. Where some Swedish git reported me for unsporting behaviour after I suggested to him we climb up one of the highest buildings in the game, and then booted him off it when we got to the top.

9. Blerk

Unsporting? I’d have been disappointed if that hadn’t happened!

10. No_PUDding

Agreed… Sounds thematically superb.

But I think ’1.25′ is all part of overdelivering. Very clever. Unless it’s DLC in which case… It’s DLC.

11. Captain Fruitloop

@Blerk

Agreed. I’d like to think a UK player would have seen that one coming a long way away, and planned to do exactly the same thing to me.

Alas, our trusting and slightly over-earnest Scandanavian cousins aren’t nearly so devious/fun to play with.

12. No_PUDding

Believe me, I wouldn’t have thought of it but I would had been pleased SOMEONE had.

And I probabaly would devise some way to repay the favour.

13. Whizzo

Crackdown was a decent title in single player, a fabulous one in co-op, if they put 4 player in there I’d be very happy but that doesn’t appear to be on the cards.

14. Retroid

Single-player is pretty-much a requirement for me.

15. ecu

Bah, this is sounding worse by the minute, given that Crackdown 1 was only half a game to begin with. It had lovely gameplay mechanics, but they forgot to actually make the rest of the game. That’s what I was hoping this would be, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

16. contender

A UK publishing source that is so reliable it is nameless??

This isn’t anything new is it, it’s idle speculation. Slow news week guys?

17. fearmonkey

loved crackdown, but give us a true sequel.