Confirmed: No Gears 2 for Germany or Japan

Wednesday, 22nd October 2008 11:36 GMT By Mike

gearsofwar2.jpg

A Microsoft spokesperson has confirmed to Edge that Epic man-shooter, Gears of War 2, will not be coming to neither Germany nor Japan.

“We can confirm that Gears of War 2 will not be available in Germany or Japan indefinitely,” said the Microsoft rep.

That puts an end to that speculation.

By Mike Bowden

1. Doomsayer

Suprise Suprise ! But its always good to have a government that knows better what games i should play….. Fuckers

2. Blerk

Germans can just import from a friendly neighbouring region, no?

3. MesserWolf

I agree with Doomsayer …

4. David

Import ?

5. Gekidami

Seeing as 360 games only tend to have one language on a disc, importing isnt all that easy, alot of Germans could just stroll in to France and put down 70euros like they would at home, but then they’d be playing a game fully in french.

6. Syrok

Well, there is Austria and Switzerland. ;)

7. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve played many a German at games on LIVE that are supposedly banned in Germany.

Once when I pointed out that the game that they were playing (Gears) was actually banned in their country, they just laughed.

Oh, and being in a European community, Germany actually wants Europe wide bans on games that it considers harmful.

See here

8. Robo_1

Yes, I read that article with some alarm a few months back. It’s highly unlikely that they would be able to pass such a draconian bill, as it would likely meet with strong disapproval from more liberal (i.e. sensible) EU members, who (if I understand how these things work) would likely veto such an action.

The games industry is huge in the EU and particularly the UK, so it would not be in the UK’s interests to have such a bill passed.

9. G1GAHURTZ

I dunno…

All it takes is some nut who plays CS to shoot someone, a few sensationalist headlines and MPs will probably have to think long and hard about it.

10. Syrok

I doubt there would be a majority for this in EC or EP.

11. Doomsayer

Its pretty funny if you look at the historical stuff:

in the 50ies – Comics was the devil
    in the 80ies – Horror Movies and Rambo was the devil
    Now – Games are the devil

Amazing to see how mankind evolves ;)

12. ruckus

Confirmed: No Gears 2 for Germany or Japan

“We can confirm that Gears of War 2 will not be available in Germany or Japan indefinitely”

So how is it confirmed… I’m struggling with ‘indefinitely’ since that suggests it could become available at any time and that nothing is ‘confirmed to be never available’.

If it were truly, definitely never ever going to be released in those country’s then surly the statement should have been:

“We can confirm that Gears of War 2 will not be available in Germany or Japan.” and maybe add Ever.

13. wickedman

WTF? Here in the US everyday a kid takes a gun to school,they always blame the music, the movies,and now the video games,when are they going to start with the parents,education is not something you learn, is something you are inherited by your parents at home when your a kid.a game is just that, a game

14. Syrok

I think in the US they have to start with the gun laws. ;)

15. wickedman

Personally, I think the anti-game, anti-fun, anti-alcohol, anti-drug, anti-sex, anti-everything protect-you-at-any-cost soccer moms are terrible role models, because they perpetuate the “do as I say, because I’m better than you” creed. More often than not, it is rooted in hypocrisy. And that is more damaging than any video game could ever be.

16. David

ban soccer mums

17. wickedman

I love you, Man!!!! :-)

18. destrosio

don’t care. I’m italian. but those bans suck a lot…

19. wickedman

Dude u are and ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!,Think before you fucking type moron.Oh!! i forgot you are italian,so fucking what,get a fucking life and die!!

20. jds

what’s tha matter wickedman?
    did you get your ugly mom fucked by an italian or something? Oh!! i forgot you are still jerking off. don’t get a fucking life and stay dead.

21. patlike

Oh good.

22. morriss

haha

23. Truk

I think they should ban all video games and then you can all go out and get some nice fresh air and exercise.