Molyneux: “I’m not a PR man”

Friday, 26th September 2008 18:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fable220.jpg

Peter Molyneux’s said that frankness over Fable II’s flaws has landed him in hot water with Microsoft, but defended himself by saying he’s just being honest.

“The point is I’m not a PR man,” he told Videogamer. “I’m just a developer. And when you sit down opposite people, people like yourself, and they look you in the eyes and they say ‘are you happy with absolutely everything in Fable II?’, I can’t hand on heart say that we have got a state of the art animation system. I mean our animation system’s pretty good.

“If I compare it to any other game we did before it’s stellar but is it the best it possibly can be? No. And we’ve got lots of excuses for that. Our animation is going on all over the world simultaneously and that’s why we can’t focus on one character.”

Microsoft was apparently less than impressed with his comments about “low points” in the game.

“I get into an awful lot of trouble for that,” he said. “Now Microsoft has put these PR policemen in the same room to make sure I don’t trip over myself. I do feel a sense of responsibility to people.”

More through the link.

1. David

Tell Microsoft to GTFO Peter is fine the way he is.

2. mortiferus

MS needs to relax. Peter is being honest about his creation. Let those MS media & PR jackals focus on fixing/canning those atrocious “I’m a PC” and “Windows Mojave” Ad campaigns.

3. Psychotext

Sadly with wankers ready to jump all over his comments for hype, overpromising etc etc they need to do this. Not his fault, but an unfortunate side effect of every idiot on the internet having a voice (that includes me!). :D

4. No_PUDding

Damn you guys are sycophantic to support him.

He seems like a really nice bloke and he can make great games, but don’t try to cover up the fact he’s a PR disaster, or imply it’s everyone elses fault.

He’s either overselling his game or recently underselling it, trying to negate the hype surrounding it.

I wish his speaking part was just cut out so the game didn’t have to rely on his wobbly PR legs.

5. Psychotext

Sorry, but I’d take someone talking candidly over the PR massaged bullshit any day of the week.

6. PsychoKnight 1

yer fair play i agree with no_pud and psychotext peter tends to promise u the f**king world and u dont get everything he always promises and microsoft should get off his back as its peters game and he should be telling them what to do and microsoft should stop being so american sided as they all ways give the americans stuff first even though its a british game made by lionhead studios.