You can’t be Batman or Superman in DC Universe Online, says Sony

Thursday, 7th August 2008 07:45 GMT By Mike

Speaking with Eurogamer at Comic Con, DC Universe Online creative director Chris Cao said that you won’t be Batman or Superman in the otherwise extremely good looking MMO from SOE.

“The reason for that is, we want them to feel real,” Cao explains. “The best way to make Superman feel real isn’t to have you play just another Superman in another Superman game, but to have your own character, and earn the right to fight alongside him.

“So come the day Superman asks for your help, you’ll get a chill, because you know you’re good enough; you’re powerful and respected enough to have reached that echelon.”

Gutted.

By Mike Bowden

1. morriss

morriss am cry. No Batman?! What am I going to do?!

2. FireFly

Ah so your a piece of shit and have to move up the ranks to play with the big boys. interesting.
    I rather become a villain and fight the heroes instead. Is that possible?
    IDK, I just don’t want to have to save someones ass all the time.
    [[In Spider-Man 2 all I heard was: "Oh no my balloon!" Fuqq you little girl. Fuqq you!]] But that’s another story….hehe

3. morriss

still gutted.

4. patlike

So, do you roll a character at the beginning then, or what?

5. Whizzo

Of course, DC were never going to allow the comic book characters be anything other than NPC/GM characters.

6. Gamoc

Sounds like the obvious choice to me, though I like the idea of working alongside Batman – because he needs my help.

This game is just edging into my radar, it sounds quite interesting to me.

7. Mugwum

FYI, that’s from Comic-Con rather than Develop. Thanks for the link. :-)

8. Newbie101

Didnt they say this at E3? The point was they are in the game but you cannot play as them.