MGS4 on 360: “It’s inevitable,” says highly-placed source

Tuesday, 15th July 2008 11:55 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgear9.jpg

Following last night’s shock news that Final Fantasy XIII will release on Xbox 360, VG247 has been told be a very senior UK industry source that an 360 version of Metal Gear Solid 4 is “inevitable”.

“There’s only MGS left now: for a few months at least,” said the mole. “It’s inevitable. Konami knows how many million they’d sell in the US alone. If FFXIII can make it to 360 when Sony owns nine percent of Square, Metal Gear’s a slam dunk.”

Kojima has constantly said that the game isn’t transferable to 360 as the Microsoft console uses DVD as opposed to Blu-ray.

Money, as everyone’s mother used to say, talks.

1. Psychotext

Disc swap instead of an install when the act changes. 5 discs, job done. It’s inevitable anyway, they’ve always done multiple versions in the past.

2. Gekidami

Well MGS3 was PS2 only.
    But this sounds more like some random Joe; believe it or not, even people who work in game dev have an opinion, dosnt make it any more valid then mine or yours…

3. patlike

Why wouldn’t they do it, though? Why would they pass up hundreds of millions of dollars?

4. mart

Well the Blu-Ray thing is the one glaring reason why not – MGS4 is the first PS3 game to make use of a second layer on a Blu-Ray disc, it is so fucking enormous. But yeah, disc swapping is an option I guess. For 1998.

The other reason is that that game contains an amount of PS3-referential material. It would require some reworking of a couple of cut scenes, re-recording of some chunks of dialogue. There’d be more to this than just a port and squashing it onto some DVDs.

5. BillyBatts

please please please please please

6. G1GAHURTZ

MGS5 A 360 EXCLUSIVE!!!

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

7. Psychotext

mart: It’s an issue (the BR thing) but clearly not insurmountable. The 360 wouldn’t need the uncompressed audio (for a start) which would cut down the amount of space needed considerably. Disc swaps aren’t really a problem when you’re already dealing with installs every act. Takes less time to swap a disc than to do the install anyway.

As for why wouldn’t they? It would take a pretty significant moneyhat at a guess. This isn’t the PS2 with its 50m + consoles (at the time) making multiplatform irrelevant.

I’d still buy it on the PS3 anyway. Nothing else really seems right. :)

8. Shatner

This ‘highly placed source’ – he wouldn’t happen to be a regular poster on the Eurogamer forums by any chance?

9. absolutezero

Yeah they’d have to change the controller of the Mrk 2, and the controls themselves would need a major re-think to work well on the 360 pad.

All that pressing of the bumpers. eek.

10. patlike

Shatner: No :)

11. mortiferus

4 Discs and no load times (outside the disc swaps of course) nuff said.

12. morriss

Or buy an Elite and copy all 5 disc to your HDD and no no loading whatsoever, or disc swapping.

Win, win.

13. XDamage

Highly placed sources, as everyone’s mother used to say, talks a lot of shit. :D

14. patlike

XD – haha :D

15. Blerk

After last night I’m not discounting anything.

16. patlike

I think it’s a question of economics, very simply. If they can make a lot of money doing it, they will. Konami’s a business. The same’s true of Diablo. Unless Blizzard really doesn’t want to do it, it will probably happen. Why wouldn’t it?

17. XDamage

Yeah, thats true ofcourse. I guess I will only be surprised if any of the series that have always been on one console, starts to get bought up. If God of War III went 360 exclusive, I would probably have thrown my PS3 out of the window last night. :D

18. Psychotext

XDamage: Given it’s not only published, but also developed by Sony I get the feeling God of War is safe. :D

19. XDamage

Yeah, thats what I mean. People freak out over third party games going multi-platform, I say freak out when the first-party ones go multi-platform! ;)

20. steevyhead

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese ASAP

21. ecu

If it happened, it wouldn’t be for at least another year. If anything, they’ll do a full re-release, and whatever modifications they make for a 360 version, would also be included in a PS3 re-release.

22. DrDr1llm4n-THC

MGS4 sells PS3′s. If for some stupid reason they put it on 360 it would have to be a loooong time from now. I personally sold my 360 to get my PS3, for me it was the better choice. But had MGS4 not have been exclusive I probably would have kept my 360. Left4Dead and Bioshock was the only reason I thought about keeping it, and now both of those are on PS3, MS lost money. Win for SONY, thats why i honestly think it will stay exclusive. That and it would be a shame to have to cut out Otacon’s hilarious remark on the disc swapping at Shadow Moses.

23. jonahfalcon

Gee, I wonder how the Xbox 360 could possibly handle… oh, right. The Fall Dashboard update will allow people to save games on their hard drive.

Problem solved. lol

Besides, no one complained about Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon being multidisc.

24. wz

I hate all those moralist discussions about platforms and stuff.
    Konami is first and foremost a company dedicated to make profits. So, if there is an expectancy that a few million people buy their already finished-but-porting product, they will offer it to the customers.

25. Psychotext

DrDr1llm4n-THC: Left 4 Dead has been announced for the PS3? Cool. EA must have figured they could make some cash off it.

26. morriss

I don’t think it has. PC/360 only.