The next PS4 update will deliver some of the rumoured new additions.
PS4 firmware 2.50 is called Yukimura, and is "coming soon".
"Suspend/Resume, which will be supported by nearly all PS4 titles, will create an atmosphere where your games are immediately available at any time — just pick up your DualShock 4 wireless controller, hit the PS button and get right back into the action of your games," Sony wrote.
"When it’s time to log off, simply put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you’ll start your game where you left off. Spend less time getting into your games and more time playing them."
Another rumoured inclusion that made the cut is accessibility options - which we're very pleased to see indeed, as they'll make the world of difference to a huge number of gamers.
There are some surprises, too: DailyMotion support for the Share button, and the ability to share at 60 fps.
Sony described its current feature list as just "some" of the additions coming with the new firmware, so there's still hope for other rumoured features. It's entirely possible some kinks are still being worked out, and Sony won't mention new stuff until it is certain they'll make it into the update. Leaks from beta testers suggested we'll be able to back up installed game data to external hard drives.
Cross your fingers. In the meantime, though, here's the feature list Sony is comfortable sharing:
- Sub-account to Master account Upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
- Facebook Friend Search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PlayStation Network members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: For games that support 60 fps, the ability to customize the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura.” Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play on supported devices.
- Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make their PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colors on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DualShock 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a ton of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura,” a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
- Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.