Stuck on the Onimusha: Warlords spike trap and water trap? This guide should help you through.
Onimusha: Warlords is a barebones remaster, as I said in my review. That means it doesn’t have a proper checkpointing system. When you die, you’re thrown back to the title screen to load up your last manual save.
One particular section frustrated me because of this. In it, you’re asked to solve three puzzles, two of which can kill you and send you back to the start, forcing you to watch a cutscene again. To take some of that pain away, I’ve put together the solutions for the puzzles so you don’t have to watch it ever again.
The first time you have to switch to Kaede, you’re working with her to bypass this series of traps, starting with grates and levers. The only danger here is from a lever in the middle of a set of three, near the end of the puzzle. Pulling that lever will always hit you with an arrow, so simply ignore it. Thankfully, if you do pull it, it doesn’t kill you outright.
Trap 1 – the metal grates
This one kicks off with you getting blocked in behind a steel gate. To free yourself, you simply pull the lever nearby and the game switches control to Kaede. From there, you want to select the lever on the right from the next two options. Switch back to Samanosuke and pull the lever on the left.
When you get control of Kaede again, go for the lever on the far left of the three grouped together. Then, as Samanosuke, collect the armour from the chest, equip it, and pull the lever on the far right of the three. As I said before, do not pull the middle lever. That’s it for this one.
Before you go onto the next trap, you’ll find yourself in a room with a magical energy supply source and two sets of candles. Suck up the energy and use your flame sword power to light the candles, opening the way forward.
Trap 2 – cross puzzle tiles
Trap 3 – water puzzle
This one can be a pain if you don’t know what you’re doing – especially as it’s on a timer and failing it means you’re right back to the first puzzle again.
As it starts, Samanosuke gets trapped in a room that’s slowly filling with water. You need to get to the nearby control panel as fast as possible and solve the puzzle before the time runs out.
The goal of the puzzle is to line up the two circular tiles in the middle bottom of the indentation. Here are the steps required:
- Grab the horizontal block in the bottom left corner and pull it as far to the right as possible.
- Now get the crest piece and move it down, along with the blank tile of the same shape that’s nestled against it.
- Next, grab the two square blocks – the tiny ones – and move them all the way to the left.
- Now grab the horizontal block in the middle at the bottom and drag it up.
- Move the horizontal piece in the bottom right corner underneath the piece you just dragged up.
- Now take the right crest and move it, along with the vertical piece next to it, into the right corner.
- The middle horizontal block needs to go into that space you just made.
- Grab the other horizontal block and move it up one so you can pull the left crest and its blank vertical piece into the middle.
- Now go back to the two small pieces and put them in the bottom left corner, along with the horizontal piece above them.
- Now you should be able to move all the horizontal pieces to the left, allowing you to move the vertical piece out of the bottom row so you can nudge the right crest piece over to the middle.