Red Faction: Guerrilla’s “Re-Mars-tered” edition will include enhanced visuals, 60 FPS on consoles, and a free PC copy for customers who own the original.
Red Faction: Guerrilla is perhaps the most popular of the Red Faction games, so it’s no surprise THQ had plans to remaster it. All the same, it looks like THQ is going all-out with this “Re-Mars-tered” edition, complete with 60 FPS on consoles and native 4K support on PC.
All versions of Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered will include complete graphical enhancements, from reworked textures to specular maps. The PC version will include native 4K support, while console versions include options for 60 FPS or 4K @ 30 FPS playing options. The trade-offs between versions are listed below:
- Native 4k support on PC
- Xbox One: 900p @ 60 FPS
- Xbox One X: 1800p @ 60 FPS or 4K @ 30 FPS
- PlayStation 4: 1080p @ 60 FPS
- PlayStation 4 Pro: 1500p @60 FPS or 4K @ 30 FPS
On a gameplay front, the remastered version will be largely similar to the explosive classic edition. Red Faction Guerrilla follows an insurgent fighter within the Red Faction, a movement to liberate Mars from an oppressive Earth Defense Force. Players will be dropped into an open world with fully destructible environments, and can tackle objectives using whatever methods seem appropriate. (All appropriate methods will probably include explosions.)
According to THQ, the Re-Mars-tered edition will include the following features:
- Open World Guerrilla Warfare – You decide who, when, where and how to battle. Utilize guerrilla tactics, improvised weaponry, and modified vehicles to lead insurgent attacks on EDF targets. Launch attacks based on your own gameplay style, take on missions in any order you choose, or engage in destructive activities to weaken the EDF’s grip on Mars.
- Strategic Destruction – Use destruction to your tactical advantage, setting ambushes or chain reaction explosions to attack enemy strongholds and permanently modify the game environment. Leverage fully-dynamic physics-based destruction to improvise on the fly: blow holes in a wall or floor to set an ambush or escape, take out a staircase to stop your pursuers, or drive vehicles through blown out walls.
- Evolving & Emergent Gameplay – Carve your path through an ever changing landscape as you improvise your combat tactics – mixing gameplay styles, vehicles, weapons and explosives to defeat the EDF.
- Epic Sci-Fi Setting – Explore the huge, unforgiving Martian landscape, from the desolate mining outpost of Parker to the gleaming EDF capital city of Eos; then tear through the fully destructible open-world environments swarming with EDF forces, Red Faction resistance fighters, and the downtrodden settlers caught in the cross-fire.
- Multiplayer Combat – There is no place to hide when you put your guerrilla warfare skills to the test in a variety of highly destructive multiplayer combat modes.
PC players get an additional bonus: A free copy of the game. Anyone who already has a copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla in their Steam account will automatically unlock the new edition at launch. And you don’t even have to wait long, as the finished game arrives on July 3, 2018.