Shadwen is a new game in development with Trine-studio Frozenbyte.
Described as a stealth action adventure game, players will need to stay hidden or be killed on sight by “ruthless guards.” In other words, “sneaking and hiding” will be the main course of action.
The game also contains moral consequences when it comes to killing which come into play when the game’s namesake, the female assassin Shadwen, has a chance encounter with an orphan named Lily.
With Lily in tow on her quest to kill the King, Shadwen will need to decide whether to kill guards in front of Lily, or find another way to get around the guards so she can “protect the child’s innocence.”
- Stay hidden – avoid detection and guards, who will ruthlessly kill you upon capture.
- Time is an accomplice – time stands still when you are not controlling Shadwen, allowing you to stop at any point: mid-motion, during jumps, right before a guard sees you.
- Carefully rewind time to manipulate your past and present actions to gain an upper hand on the guards. Make precision movements to nail each move and try different strategies for the ultimate solution.
- Pick your assassinations carefully. Avoid being seen, heard or getting caught indirectly. Suspicious sights and noises will alert the guards – use it to your benefit.
- Sneak and explore around the dark and gritty medieval province and use the environment to your advantage – use your rope to grapple onto rooftops, silently drop from ceilings, or veil yourself in the shadows.
- Use physics and a freely attachable rope to drag and topple objects. Make deaths look accidental; let gravity do the grave work.
- Set up traps and hazards to lure guards towards their untimely demise; discover new ways to eliminate or distract your foes by crafting items into deadly surprises, including poison traps, spike devices, smoke bombs and more.
- Lethal and non-lethal solutions – choose your play style but remember: actions have consequences.
- Become a true god of stealth and protect Lily’s innocence – complete the game with no bodies left behind.
The trailer above features pre-alpha gameplay, and platforms are TBA and the game is set for a 2016 release.