Get those characters and stages as quickly as possible with our confirmed unlocking guide.
Super Smash Bros. 3DS unlock guide
Unlockable items are always a big part of every Super Smash Bros. game, and starting players will usually be in a rush to free up all the characters and stages as quickly as possible. Here’s how to do it in Super Smash Bros. 3DS with as little pain as possible.
How to unlock all the characters
All of Super Smash Bros. 3DS’s characters can be unlocked by playing Smash Mode battles. In fact, if you play 120 of them, you’ll unlock every character in the game.
You need to play a single-player match against the character you want to unlock to free it. If you play 100 matches online against other people, say, to unlock Bowser Jr., you’ll have to play at least one match against the computer to face Bowser Jr. and actually unlock him.
Some characters have alternate unlock methods. You can use any of the routes listed below, so don’t worry: you aren’t required to perform all the tasks.
Once you have met the requirements, you need to face that character in battle. If you lose, you’ll need to try again. For example, if you’ve played 10 matches to fight Ness, you must play another match to fight Ness again if you lose (but not the 10 matches required to get into the fight in the first place).
- Play 100 Smash mode matches.
- Get through Classic Mode as Bowser on Extra Spicy (6.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
- Play 50 Smash mode matches.
- Get through Classic Mode four times.
- Play 60 Smash mode matches.
- Play 110 Smash mode matches.
- Play 20 Smash mode matches.
- Get through Classic Mode one time.
- Play 80 Smash mode matches.
- Play 120 Smash mode matches.
- Get through Classic Mode on Infernal (7.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher.
- Play 40 Smash mode matches.
- Get through Classic Mode with Marth on Standard (2.0 Intensity) difficulty or higher without using any continues.
Mr. Game & Watch
- Play 90 Smash mode matches.
- Play 10 Smash mode matches.
- Play 70 Smash mode matches.
- Play 30 Smash mode matches.
How to unlock all the stages
The Smash mode stages which can be unlocked by simply playing battles can be opened by playing against any number of opponents using any settings.
If you’re battling CPU enemies, the difficulty level is irrelevant to unlocking stages.
The easiest way to complete the Smash mode matches as quickly as possible and unlock the stages is to set the rules to one stock and KO yourself immediately after the match begins. If winning the match is a requirement, set the CPU opponent to level one.
Somw stage unlocks require the use of a Final Smash. The easiest way of doing this is to play against the computer and set it to level one with only the Smash Ball item turned on. Pick the Smash Ball up when it appears, hit the enemy with it and complete the bout.
- Use Villager three times in a Smash mode bout.
- Use a Final Smash as Kirby in a Smash mode bout.
Flat Zone 2
- Play 90 Smash mode matches to fight Mr. Game & Watch, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
- Use a Final Smash as Pac-Man in a Smash mode bout.
- Play 10 Smash mode matches to fight against Ness, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
- Win three Smash mode battles with Captain Falcon.
- Play 30 Smash mode matches to fight Wario, then defeat him to unlock both the character and the stage.
Get loads for info from our Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS guide.