It’s packing time! It’s packing time for me! It’s packing time for me! Time to pack for Germany!
This has been the first time in weeks that I’ve been able to fully concentrate on news rather than try and divide my attention on between providing news and book gamescom stuff. But now, everything is all but locked down bar a couple of things we’re waiting to hear back on (PRs, send us your replies for God’s sake!).
Anyways, here’s what’s been happening today:
- Featured Coverage: Gamescom 2011 – The road to Cologne starts now
I wrote this. Catch up on who and what will do what at the show. You have no idea how pumped I am for Germany. There’s two games I’m really looking forward to seeing: Borderlands 2 and Dishonored. Speaking of, you’re going to see a piece from QuakeCon on Dishonored soon.
- EDF: Insect Armageddon gets weapons pack DLC
In other news, DLC for EDF! There’s something to that, but I can’t figure out what.
- Pachter: Grand Theft Auto V could sell 24 million units
I really want to see it announced sooner than later: GTA IV is one of my favorite games this gen. That said, you’re looking at about a squlliontrillionbillionmillion to one if you want to place a bet on a gamescom reveal, though.
- Nintendo to release Flame Red 3DS in US on September 9
Still nothing on a European release, though.
- Perfect World completes Cryptic buyout
Atari fully washes its hands from the Champions Online and Star Trek Online dev.
- Amazon: BF3 pre-orders up more than 2,000 percent against BF2
Even if BF2 is a six year-old game and other titles have come since, its still a staggering number for EA. There’s other games included in there too.
- Irrational: 1980s BioShock Infinite scene came from “abandoned” game
Whowouldhavethunkit. The most intriguing bit from Infinite to date came from assets of an old game.
- DOTA 2 gamescom tourney to be streamed online
I’m calling it: this’ll immediately be released as a F2P title after the tournament.
- THQ bringing Darksiders II, Saints Row, Space Marine to gamescom
We’re going to be seeing some of the line-up next Wednesday. Watch for impressions soon after.
- ICO/Shadow of the Colossus Collection gets big video blowout
For the lack of a better term, this is looking pretty fucking special. Not that they weren’t the first time.
- God of War Origins openings get videoed
This isn’t looking too bad neither.
- Hirshberg: Call of Duty players “more engaged” than Facebook gamers
This sounded a bit Sherlock to us.
- GameStop UK selling 3DS for £135 ahead of Friday’s price-cut
Get a cheap 3DS before the price-cut on Friday.
- Capcom: Mega Man “super important to us,” Legends 3 cancellation “a decision that had to be made”
Christian Svensson insists there’s still room yet for the little guy at the publisher.
- Metro: Last Light gets final E3 vid, full demo on August 23
I’m seeing this in Cologne without even having played the first game, despite buying a 360 copy before E3. I really must do that because this just looks awesome already!
- Report – Next Resident Evil movie to feature Leon Kennedy, Barry Burton
And Jill’s been recast, apparently.
- Always-on internet connection for games “better for everybody,” says id’s Willits
This ain’t going to go down too well, I reckon.
- NPD to begin tracking digital, mobile games sales in Europe from Q4 2011
But to be clear, this isn’t for retail titles.
- Two new QuakeCon panel videos released
Yes, we know, they’re private. Shout at Bethesda about it: it’s their videos.
And that’s it. Now it’s time to pack my little black suitcase with clothes, gear and my pink folder of death. That way, unlike last year, I won’t lose my passport! YAY!
See you tomorrow!