Quite a few L.A. Noire previews are starting to hit, and we’ve posted a some excerpts and a list of the reading material for you below.
It sounds like this is going to be a very interesting game, and with it being in development for around the five year mark, we all have high hopes for it.
Hit up the previews below, and each one has some really nice below as well.
- 1UP – “L.A. Noire is already a damn fascinating game, due to stuff like how you play a cop, how it takes place in Los Angeles, and how it focuses more on talking and investigating rather than shooting or open-world mayhem.”
- MTV – “For such a high-profile game, it’s not what I would consider a slam dunk sales success. When dialog and acting trumps the action in your game, it’s a toss-up whether the masses will come out in droves the way they did with GTA and “Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar is taking a chance on a mature, experimental title that would seem to appeal more to the art house movie crowd than fans of Call of Duty.”
- Gamespot – “L.A. Noire flashed a lot of promise with this first look. It’s a game that’s trying a lot of new things in the way it conveys facial expressions and then asks you to jump headfirst into understanding what they all mean. But it’s also a game that seems to remember that sometimes, people just like to smash cars and shoot bad guys. Hopefully, L.A. Noire strikes the right balance between those elements.”
- Kotaku – “This is a curious creation from Rockstar. The detective-work has a lot of potential, especially if it meets or exceeds the quality of writing and acting Rockstar has repeatedly shown itself capable. The gameplay is the question. How fun is this? How fun does a mystery need to be? With plenty of time to get it right before spring, Rockstar has an exciting and tough task ahead of itself, to make its Los Angeles mystery great, to make this one a thrill. This wouldn’t be easy for any studio. Here’s hoping Rockstar can pull it off.”
- GameInformer – This preview and chat with the developers first appeared in the March issue magazine, but was posted on the site a couple days ago. It’s still worth a read.
- IGN – “L.A. Noire looks great, but it’s hard to say how well all of this will play out over the course of dozens of cases. Will it start to feel artificial? Is it going to be too hard to figure out who is lying and who is telling the truth? And how dynamic are the cases if you miss clues and flub interviews? These things I can’t really know until getting a few hours of play time with L.A. Noire. But this is certainly one to start saving up for.”
Rockstar also has a list of previews here.
We’ll update this post as more previews are released.
L.A. Noire is out in spring 2011 for PS3 and Xbox 360. Watch the trailer for it here.