Not considering The Last of Us 2 “would be a disservice to ourselves and fans”

Monday, 21st July 2014 21:33 GMT By Sherif Saed

The Last of Us developer Naughty Dog is not done with the series just yet. The developer is on the road to promote the remastered PS4 version, and has shed some light on the possibility of a sequel.

Speaking to Videogamer, community strategist Arne Meyer said that not considering a sequel to The Last of Us “would be a disservice” to the studio and the fans.

“I think we always make a smart decision in that all of our games are self-contained stories so they don’t have to continue if we don’t want them to or if there’s no reason for them to continue,” he said. “It really comes down to is there something interesting in this universe we’ve created that we want to continue to explore? Is it something that we can get the entire team passionate about? Is it something we can get the creative directors excited about and then we could continue it?”

Meyer added that the studio is starting to explore ideas of what could be done in the game’s universe, without confirming that they will end up making a sequel.

Would you want a sequel to that story, or would you prefer a new story in the same universe?

1. halberykM

they know what to do, others stories, others characters but same universe.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Triggerhappy

Definitely a new story in the same universe. Ish was a good story within a story but I’d rather have something a bit more far removed than that from the original. Or… perhaps another 20 years later a story that follows Ellie in her 30′s… so that’d be 40 years after things went crazy, interesting me thinks, well to me anyway :P

#2 5 months ago
  3. Sherif Saed

@Triggerhappy 30 yo Ellie. Shit.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Panthro

@Triggerhappy

In a newly constructed city, everything’s fixed and you just help her fulfill her duties working in Barclays.

#4 5 months ago
  5. Triggerhappy

@4: Did a real life lol there :)

#5 5 months ago
  6. redwood

the sequel shall be named “another one of the last of us”

#6 5 months ago
  7. Triggerhappy

But yeah I think there is more stories they can tell here. I honestly missed this game so fucking much when I finished it, I missed the characters and the setting, wish I could erase it from my memory MIB style and experience it again for the first time. For me TLoU ticked all the boxes, I know some people are different, different tastes and all, but this is in my top 3 ever.

#7 5 months ago
  8. DuckOfDestiny

Can’t they just leave it alone.

The first was fine as it is.

#8 5 months ago
  9. Clupula

The Second to Last of Us

#9 5 months ago
  10. budgiesmuggler

@Triggerhappy +1

#10 5 months ago
  11. Dog4life

I missed enemy variety in Last of us.

I would love some sick stuff like Resident Evil. Mutated animals etc would be nice add and challenge. . . without going to much over the top

#11 5 months ago
  12. Dimaco

I just hope they bring us more… really loved the setting, and the atmosphere… and in a sequel they can improve things that still have room for improvement, like enemies’ variety and A.I.
    Hell, give us a PS4 sequel, already! :-)

#12 5 months ago
  13. polygem

i thought that the sp was ok but not great – BUT, the mp has so much potential. it wasn´t really fully developed in the last of us but man they have an awesome formula going on there. the slow paced, limited ammo approach really helped to build up tension a lot. it felt very different to your average tps game, yet familiar.

if they would keep the setting and basic gameplay elements (obviously) and add some really really big maps, some rare sniper rifles, lots of buildings to scavenge and look for loot – create big 2, 3 clan multiplayer battles with camp defending on bigger maps – shit could go crazy!

so, if i want anything from a the last of us 2 game – then it would be a HEAVY focus on the competitive mp side of things.

unlikely – but one can dream.

#13 5 months ago
  14. Mike W

If you were one of the die hard fan like myself that bought the special edition of the game; the art book that came with it I noticed that they were different type of creatures in the Last of Us universe.

The game introduced the;

1. Clickers

2. Runners

3. Bloaters

But the artbook showed another different type of creature, one that was merged together……so yea the game is to big for them just to end it with the first one.

#14 5 months ago