Xbox One sales have doubled since dropping the Kinect like a hot rock

Thursday, 17th July 2014 00:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Unbuckling the Kinect from the Xbox One and dropping the price by $100 has accelerated the console’s sales. Surprise!

xbox_one_kinect

Xbox One sales since the launch of the Kinect-free bundle in early June have “more than doubled” May’s sales, Microsoft said on Xbox Wire, drawing on internal sales data.

This statistic only applies to the US; we’re yet to hear updates on other territories, although it’s not hard to imagine price matching the PS4 has helped the Xbox One out across the board.

Moving into the future, Microsoft said “new blockbuster hits will launch for Xbox One at an incredible pace throughout the fall”, starting with Madden NFL 15 in August.

“Gamers love the holidays and we are lining up incredible deals and special promotions to celebrate. The fun is just getting started and we can’t wait to share more exciting news soon,” the company added.

Microsoft also said that Xbox 360 sales have seen “solid growth”.

1. GuuR

Still, why would anyone in his/her right mind want to buy such an ugly piece of cheap ass plastic low-end pc? The mind boggles.

#1 5 months ago
  2. Doppleganger

You talking about a PS4 right?

#2 5 months ago
  3. marporte

400 is a good price for an X1 since the majority didn’t want to pay for Kinect. Kinect didn’t get a chance to prove itself as a real piece of gaming media in this generation as well it seems.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Capt.N00P

@1 who plays games :P
    “right mind”
    Halo is mind blowing

#4 5 months ago
  5. angrygallo

What’s the point of comments like what the first poster said. Honestly what’s the point of saying something like that. People buy an X1or PS4 because they want it. Doesn’t matter if games look better on a pc, all that matters is that the games are fun.

Going back to the article I agree with #3, kinect wasn’t given a proper chance in this generation. I do enjoy mine and don’t see myself disconnecting it, the voice commands are excellent. Either way I’m glad sales are picking up, it’s always good when all consoles are performing well, the competition brings the best out of developers trying to one up each other.

#5 5 months ago
  6. KAP

@3 If Microsoft didn’t believe in Kinect, why should you?!
    Clearly it didn’t have any true lasting appeal or push the gaming further. It was a fad, a gimmick.

#6 5 months ago
  7. polygem

will probably buy one in 2016 or 17

was a huge 360 guy but the direction they have taken with the one was a slap in the face.

i believe that they will have sorted that out in 2016…at least i hope so.

i want a gaming machine. nothing else.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Dimaco

@7 seriously, One’s whole story has been a (bad) joke: all of the u turns, bad PR and so on… I barely have enough gaming time for one console, and that’s gotta be the PS4.
    Better running multiplat titles and more interesting (to me) exclusives… No question tbh

#8 5 months ago
  9. TheWulf

They often don’t look better on the PC. I wish people would stop perpetuating that myth because it’s annoying. In fact, most of the time, due to the hardware level being dictated by consoles, they only look about the same or a tiny bit better.

Examples like Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, where the developers created the PC port independently, and you can look at screenshots side by side and say that it’s objectively better are rare. In that game, they increased things like the draw distance, the texture resolution, and the polycount of the models. You can actually see the difference.

But in 99 per cent of console ports, you can’t see an appreciable difference between the PC version and the console version. Sure, you have higher resolutions, a little anti-aliasing, and perhaps some extra shader spam, but it’s not going to make a drastic change. There was a recent comparison of Titanfall on the Xbox One and PC lately, to see which runs better, and the truth was was that they were virtually indistinguishable.

So long as development happens on consoles first, the PC version is never going to look better, that’s a myth. And frankly, who cares what looks better other than graphics whores in the first place? I’m personally an aesthetics whore, so I think this game looks better than Destiny could ever hope to on its best day.

So why do I even bother to play games on the PC?

Game Jams

People develop on the PC because it’s a development platform, they do it over periods of time, or short weekends, and you get to play the fruits of these very experimental labours. Often, these games turn into indie titles.

It’s funny, because people are getting in on this al the time, Double Fine has been taking advantage of this for a few years, now, and it seems like Insomniac is jumping on board. It’s great.

Indies & Experiments

Due to the PC being an open platform, anyone with a website can sell their game. This is facilitated even further now thanks to the Humble Store and GoG, which both have their own website widgets. So you can sell your game from your site, with those two only taking a very minimal cut.

There’s no red tape on the PC, there’s no one to tell you that you cannot sell your game. You can sell absolutely anything on the PC. This can be both good and bad, but in my experience it’s been mostly good because those tend to be passion projects, made with love, they’re weird and experimental. Which is better to me than the safe and somewhat soulless AAA market efforts. This is why Sony always tries to steal indies, but in most cases Sony doesn’t seem to understand which indies people actually want to play. They tend to pick the indies that are most like AAA.

There’s a reason why things like Gone Home don’t launch on consoles. They’re too experimental and unsafe. Gone Home received a lot of hate for being what it was, but I loved it, so did my friends, and as I recall Brenna did, too. It was a more high brow affair than most games. So of course the average Joe is going to flip a shit at it.

But it’s there, that’s the important part.

There’s no red tape, there’s no monitoring, there’s no gatekeepers, there’s no one to say that you can’t sell your game. Hell, the only gatekeepers that exist on Steam are the users because people vote for Greenlit games. But even then, you don’t have to use Steam, a lot of my favourite projects haven’t. I didn’t buy Starbound from Steam.

I bought it from the Chucklefish site.

And speaking of Starbound…

Mods & Modders

When you take a game like Starbound at its base merits, it’s good. It’s definitely good. Same with Torchlight. But when you add mods, it actually becomes so, so much better. I play a modded race in Starbound (the Avali) because I prefer them to the more safe and commonplace races that ship with the game. I’m allowed to do that because mods.

Extremely modifiable games are a thing that exist on the PC, and the users get to reap the benefits, since there are mods that do everything for Starbound. From genetic engineering of plants, to new content, to bee-keeping, to hoverbikes, to giant freaking mechas. There was even a Pokémon mod, which the developers liked so much they built into the base game. Same goes for Skyrails, which was also co-opted into the base game.

Mods can extend with really professionally made content. The Avali race mod I play has all the same content that the Avians do, who’re the most feature complete race in Starbound right now. So there are Avali ships, outposts, towns, cities, items, decorations, tiered armours, weapons, and so on. Modders also tend to make passion projects, because they like injecting their own creations into existing games.

I mean, the person who created the Avali clearly loves his creations a lot. If you hear him talk about them, they matter to him, and that’s why he likes building them into the games he plays.

You can connect with modders on that level, too. You can ask them for advice, help, to build something for you, or you can become a modder and make your own thing. You can use that to further customise your gaming experience.

And on the topic of customisation…

Complete Platform Control

I can choose which store I buy from, I can choose how to run my computer, I can choose the programs on it, I can get into the guts of my computer and make it run just how I want. I can customise it, I can tweak it, and I can make it something that feels like mine, rather than an impersonal toy. This isn’t for everyone, granted, but I like giving my PC personality.

And if you want to go deeper, there’s Linux, from where you can write your own code and compile it as you want, you can even write your own kernel — the guts of the operating system — and compile it yourself. And hey, support for Linux is growing more by the day, all the time. Indies are almost always compiling for Linux, Starbound is out for it, that Deer God game I linked above will land on Linux. Indie support for Linux is amazing.

And the new Grim Fandango will land on Linux, too. Bless you, Tim Schafer.

So, yeah. The PC is …

Constantly Evolving

No, I’m not talking about the hardware, not at all. I’m talking about how fast everything moves, better versions of software, newer game ideas, and so on. You can always be on the fringe with the PC, on the cutting edge, you can see more clearly what’s just over the horizon. You can gaze over it and look out, and understand what the future holds for gaming.

Consoles tend to move at a snails pace by comparison because software doesn’t land on them too often. Why? Red tape. There’s always red tape in the way of software updates and patches. Red tape that stopped Bethesda from patching Skyrim, which meant that all Skyrim patches landed anywhere between days to weeks on the PC before they did on the consoles.

What your computer is looking like one year might be very different the next as your tastes change and you change it to suit, and you opt to follow different approaches. And with programs like Early Access, we’re finally going back to games having more regular patches and working towards being feature complete. Rather than having half finished games dumped on us without so much as a by your leave, which has become worryingly common on all platforms over the past five or so years.

Not to mention VR, which has been around on the PC for ages in hobbyist form even long before Oculus Rift. And with Oculus Rift there are all ready patches for loads of games to be used with it, and lots of experimental titles to have fun with it. It’s a brand new perspective on technology that the PC gave birth to, because it couldn’t have happened anywhere else.

Now Sony wants some of that VR and Early Access action. Go figure.

And that’s why I own a PC. That’s why my choice is the PC. It’s not because ‘games look better,’ they really don’t. Fidelity hasn’t been a concern of the PC since, what, ’07? It’s more just the variety of experiences you can have on a PC that make it worthwhile as a platform.

It’s a very different experience.

If you want an impersonal entertainment provider which you play notably safe AAA games sharing verisimilitude upon, then you’ll want a console. And that’s a fine choice for anyone who wants that. You have your Calls of Duty, your Assassin’s Creeds, your cheevos, and that’s that. But for anyone who wants to go beyond that somewhat more shallow experience, the PC exists and awaits. The PC brings depth to the gaming experience.

That’s why I like it.

It’s DEFINITELY not for everyone, though. Like I said, all some people want to do is come home, flop on their couch, start up the latest Call of Duty and blast through it whilst shouting at the screen or whatever it is they do. It’s a very different experience. Consoles are about turning your brain off and instant gratification. There is the game, play game.

It’s kind of like the difference between a Michael Bay movie or a Guillermo del Toro movie. Some people want to munch popcorn and watch explosions, others want to go deeper.

#9 5 months ago
  10. TheWulf

I will add that I’m currently cycling between these pictures as desktops because they’re amazing.

I’m glad that Android got desktops right, too. I like desktops because they’re so customisable. To me, a desktop is a place where you have a picture with a bunch of informational displays that sometimes becomes an impromptu workspace. I have the start menu and typing for the rest.

I don’t see the point of putting Steam on my desktop when I can just do the following:

[windows key] [s] [t] [e] [enter]

Same goes for the latest Ubuntu, too.

#10 5 months ago
  11. melonbuster1

They needed more games that showed the reason to have a kinect , but the Xbox1 should be 349.99 because it’s not more powerful than the ps4. They must sell at 30-50 dollars cheaper in order to gain on the ps4 and overtake them

#11 5 months ago
  12. Vice

@GuuR Because of Halo. That’s pretty much the only reason why I, being a PC master race, has bought xbox360. PS won’t ever lure me with it’s shitty exclusives, but Halo worth every last coin to pay for.

#12 5 months ago
  13. KAP

This.

#13 5 months ago
  14. zoopdeloop

*yawn*

#14 5 months ago
  15. Dimaco

@Vice I see, you has bought 360 but call PS and it’s exclusives shitty, its bit rude and senseless me thinks

#15 5 months ago
  16. The_Red

Didn’t Xbox One sell really badly last month, making the double comparison kinda pointless?

Hopefully they are doing great because for the first time in ages, the Xbox management feels different than the disaster making regime of Mattrick. I’m not buying XB1 anytime soon (Only have budget for a new console every 4-5 years and this round goes to PS4) but seeing Xbox team doing good things could push Sony to do the same and vice versa.

#16 5 months ago
  17. Legendaryboss

@The_Red Waiting on Microsoft’s next strategy to determine if Xbox One still isn’t selling to expectations. I don’t know what that is but we should know it when it happens.

#17 5 months ago
  18. marporte

@KAP Kinect is a gimmick like Wii motion controls and Playstation Move, however Nintendo went Sony worked harder to evolve the gimmick. Wii did motion plus and Sony is trying to implement VR with everything learned from PSeye and Move. Kinect only had voice control tv features and these features we will probably see in smart TVs down the line. PS2 had a game called Lifeline a game that worked with only voice commands PS2 and the first Socom had voice commands with a mike in 2003 . That is seven years before Kinect. Between the PS2 eyetoy which also came out in 2003 Sony innovated motion control and voice control years becfore MS. Even the launch Kinect launch titles had the same eye control scheme of holding your hand over a menu choice long enough to select it. MS just yelled really loud saying “look at this it will change the future of gaming” even though the concept existed in consoles seven years prior in the previous generation. MS never allowed Kinect to evolve into something more than a remote control for the TV which is not worth 500 dollars given most of its ideas come from old tech that Sony had a decade earlier. I feel MS is letting Kinect fall by the wayside A good portion of power was reserved for Kinect and MS will not get 100% of that power back with patches and updates Kinect could have and worked better but this stems from the same thing I always say about MS, they lack first party developers to make their own games to get familiar with the hardware and help other developers better implement Kinect.

#18 5 months ago
  19. ManuOtaku

I bought mine with kinect, the titanfall bundle, which cost me here, the same as my PS4, around four thousand three hundred dollars ( each one), i believe is for the currency conversion issue.

And I do love the kinect, the games are more accurate, and it turns my bravia lcd into an smart tv, which makes it totally worth it, if i have to pick it up again, i would pick it with the kinect bundle.

But Happy to see that people that do not wanr the kinect, have this option and they are getting it, great console with great exclusives. Enjoy.

#19 5 months ago
  20. xxJPRACERxx

@TheWulf
    “They often don’t look better on the PC. I wish people would stop perpetuating that myth because it’s annoying.”

No. games on PC look much better. 1080p+ @ 60fps+, much better AA and AF, hi-res textures. That make a HUGE difference. Maybe not for YOU, but for a lot of people it does.

#20 5 months ago
  21. Gheritt White

@14: This

@TheWulf: Please fuck off and start your own blog, NOBODY wants you here.

#21 5 months ago
  22. Os Money

Two things, voice commands are awesome (most of the time) and could be done without needing the kinect (just build it into the console itself), because thats all anyone actually uses it for.

Secondly, MS knowing the Kinect was going to mandatory at launch (and since then) didn’t have diddly squat games wise that said “Look at how awesome Kinect is now”.

Sad thing is that can probably be said for the entire catalog of Kinect games

#22 5 months ago
  23. majormayhem70

We’re in the summer months, where console sale slide anyways. Whatever bump in X1 sales MS is experiencing during this time will be dwarfed come 4th quarter. And each and everyone of you know why.

#23 5 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

I’m am certainly not surprised by this, but lets see if it does this in the long run. When the master chief edition hits, I expect a significant uptick in sales.

#24 5 months ago
  25. fearmonkey

@xxJPRACERxx – Agreed, especially if you have a 1440p monitor or better. All games look amazing in 1440p, and if it high res textures it looks amazing.

#25 5 months ago
  26. marporte

I would rather have a Gears of War Collection than a Master Chief collection.

#26 5 months ago
  27. TheGreatWhiteHerd

yet it still wasnt enough sadly….

#27 5 months ago