Hug your companions in Dragon Age: Inquisition

Wednesday, 9th July 2014 03:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dragon Age: Inquisition will have a level cap of around 25 or 30, a- shut up and talk about hugging already.

dragon_age_inquisition

For the first time, Dragon Age: Inquisition will give players the ability to hug some of their party members.

BioWare revealed the news as part of a Q*A session on Raptr. Other interesting snippets include:

• There are eight romances, and two are restricted by race. At least one of these romances will be a character who isn’t one of your companions or advisors.
  • Human Inquisitor character who aren’t mages will have a noble background, as in Dragon Age: Origins. Dwarven Inquisitors will be surface dwarves.
  • If you’re a Qunari, you’ll be bigger than a human but not as big as Iron Bull. You’ll be able to customise your horns.
  • There are lots of character customisation options, but no sliders for adjusting body shape. The character creator will include in-game lighting previews.
  • The approval system has been overhauled so you can’t spam your allies with gifts while ignoring their preferences. You can help companions achieve their goals to please them, but if you upset them they may leave your party.

There were plenty of other answers that weren’t focused on romancing and character customisation, but I’ll let you read about combat and other details for yourself. The Q&A has been helpfully summarised on Tumblr if you’d like to learn more.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming to PC, PlayStation 3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One in early October.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. Obernox

Awwwww yeeeeeah! Kawaii desu-desu Dragon Age mode! No more love pillows of Varric

(I have no idea what i am saying)

#1 6 months ago
  2. ChandlerL

In game lighting samples in the character creator? Bioware really has been listening to the fans. Good on them. Really looking forward to this release.

#2 6 months ago
  3. Matt Martin

Hugs are good.

#3 6 months ago
  4. zombizmo

and people made fun of molyneux when he did it!

#4 6 months ago
  5. _LarZen_

Who don’t like hugs?

#5 6 months ago
  6. TheWulf

Damn it, Brenna. Stop selling me on this! :P

Okay, I should explain that.

I’m conflicted, because on the one hand, I love that it has a gay character written by a gay person for, perhaps, the first time in video game history. I love that you can randomly hug your companions (because why not). But I’m not a fan of killing animals or dragons.

…and that says a lot about me, right there, doesn’t it? It probably doesn’t help that I’m just sitting here listening to old Amiga music, right now, which means I’m less focused than usual. That stands, though, in that I’d love to see RPGs be less about the whole murder simulator thing.

This makes me long for a game from BioWare (sci-fi or fantasy) where you’re a cop rather than anywhere between pest control and a genocidalist. Investigating and arresting rather than killin’, and doing it in a fantasy or sci-fi environment. You know, at one point, Bio was talking about one of the ideas I’ve had for years and it made me so, so damn happy. It doesn’t look like they actually went with it, but they were considering it.

Having a game about Garrus back in his pre-humanity Citadel days. People love the races enough to not need humans around, anyway, so that’s not absolutely necessary. And essentially, you’d be doing hard-nosed cop stuff.

But yeah. I have serious issues with killing a dragon on a symbolic level. It’s just a thing for me, and it bugs me. It’s the thing that annoyed me about Skyrim until I fixed it with mods. Sadly, I doubt I’ll be able to fix this with mods. But when you a notion as romantic as dragons flying around in the skies, to start killing them and clearing the skies… seems wrong.

But I’m an old romantic.

You know, this reminds me of what I thought the Novakid were in Starbound. Essentially, they’re a race of hyper-intelligent gas bags who never write anything down. Why would they not? They do that to preserve the novelty of things, so that future generations can explore the depth of new ideas, going really deep and finding their own meanings without having that robbed from them.

It seemed like when they encountered humanity, they came across some Tom Paris-like nerd, who sat them down with old Westerns, and then they romanticised the spirit of that and decided that everything would be cowboys for a while, because they wanted to understand the… essence behind the concept, what it really meant to be a cowboy. I remember that in one fan picture, a human general referred to them as ‘culture perverts.’

What a fantastic term! Culture perverts.

They’re kind of otaku, but less caught up on the perfection of the details, instead going more for the romanticism of the spirit of it. So they have trains, except they’re steampunk space trains. They have flintlock pistols, except they shoot lasers. Stuff like that. And in a hundred years, who knows what they might be doing? They might have forgotten this cowboy thing which they’d profoundly understood, and the next generation may be doing something else entirely. With the only information about the Wild West passed on by the odd bit of word of mouth.

So future generations can be cowboys, too. But more, so future generations can explore the depths of being a cowboy, plumbing it for all it’s worth, finding the core essence of the experience before moving on.

And that’s weirdly rad.

That’s how I feel I am. I don’t want to kill dragons, I’m more interested in studying or being dragons! And maybe my interests will shift and it’ll be robots, or feral creatures (pondering how a sense of smell so advanced works has been something to occupy my mind in the hours when I have nothing better to do), or whatever else. I’m not that interested in being a human and killin’ shit.

I’m more interested in figuring out how they tick.

I remember telling you guys this story, but I’ll speak of it quickly again — in Gothic III, I used a wolf transformation spell to actually follow a pack around for a bit to figure out how their AI worked. I was more interested in how the advanced ecology works up close than I was in the game itself. I was intrigued by being a wolf, and fighting off bizarre ostrich scavengers who were trying to steal my kill.

But that’s kind of how I am. I look at something and I want to understand what it’s like to actually be that. I don’t see a threat, or something to kill, I see an element of intrigue. I guess it’s childlike wonder? But I never grew up.

Never want to, for that matter.

So, instead of killing dragons, I’d rather be one, or hang with one and ask him/her billions of questions about the essence of being a dragon. But this is why I prefer talky, puzzly, platformy games. And if I do have to fight things, I’d like to fight things I can fix and repair later. Like robots! Heh. When I was fighting the drophyds in Tools of Destruction, I remembered always taking great care not to step on them.

But I’m weeeird. This game is doing things I like, a lot of them, but it’s also doing things I don’t like.

I think, then, I’ll just respect it for what it is but say it’s not for me, begrudgingly.

Maybe one day, fantasy games will be more about disabling creatures and curing them of their corruption rather than simply killing them. “Here you go, dragon, I’ve removed the sickness that was making you insane. Go… do what dragons do!” Perhaps I’ll live to see such an enlightened era, when our entertainment isn’t so focused around killing. I probably won’t, but I do live in hope. I do live in hope.

I hope you won’t take this wrongly, Bren, because it speaks volumes that you can get me interested in a game like this. I’m tremendously amused by the hugging feature. I think that’s great, personally. I mean, I can gather that most gamers wouldn’t be interested, but I’d rather find it funny or endearing.

#6 6 months ago
  7. dsr

@TheWulf
    Can’t believe I’ve read some parts of your post. I do agree with you.
    I hate killing beautiful creatures for loot in games. And this is one of the reasons why I never finished Skyrim(Aka Dragon and Draugr killing simulator 2011).
    And this is why I liked playing WoW.
    Even if you mostly do killing yourself, its usually obfuscated so I don’t feel like I’m a rampaging moron. Especially Night Elf quests.

#7 6 months ago
  8. AmiralPatate

But the real question is can we use cheat codes to powerlevel character and reach the equivalent of level bazillion?
    I mean level 30 and making choices in the progression is a good thing. But having all the power in the world is also quite fun.

#8 6 months ago
  9. budoshi

@AmiralPatate this things aren’t usually at release, but will come later as trainers or something.

#9 6 months ago
  10. FlutterFiend

Dagna?

#10 6 months ago
  11. OrbitMonkey

Bioware, please stop making games for LARPers eh?

#11 6 months ago
  12. Rafa_L

@TheWulf

I would also like to play as a cop doing what is right or to be friends and understand a dragon rather than killing them, I have killed many dragons in games and they just don’t seem as mythical and mysterious as I think they should be, just some aggressive animal. I never liked killing animals in games either, if not for survival.

On another matter, I think it’s the first time ever I read a comment of yours and it didn’t include offending people lol, and it was a nice read =] I think you would gain more if you refrained from attacking people, no matter how dumb or ignorant they sound to you, and stick to giving your view of things and what you think it’s right.

#12 6 months ago
  13. fearmonkey

Anyone hear anything more about that supposed app where you could import your old games character info into it to bring it into this game? Each console was going to get an app where you could upload your save game and by using your EA account, import it’s settings into this game.

I wonder if they killed that as I havent heard anything about that now for a long time.

#13 6 months ago