EA issues “technical error” statement on paid UFC & FIFA 14 demos

Friday, 4th July 2014 09:12 GMT By Dave Cook

EA Sports UFC can be sampled in demo form on Xbox One, but as one reader has pointed out, the demo comes with a price tag on the Australian store.

UPDATE 6:

We’ve just received a statement from our UK EA rep on the paid demos that reads, “The price associated with the FIFA 14 and EA SPORTS UFC demos was due to a technical error. Both demos have now been fixed in the Microsoft store.”

There you go. They’re now free again.

UPDATE 5:

I just took some photos of the Xbox One store charging me £3.99 for the FIFA 14 demo:

fifa_14 demo

fifa 14 paid demo

UPDATE 4:

When I called our UK EA rep, they told me there was no official comment on the matter.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE 3:

I just tried to buy the FIFA 14 and UFC demos from the UK Xbox One console store, and it tried to charge me £3.99.

Here’s a grab from the UK web store as well:

fifa_demo_price

Stay tuned, we’re expecting a statement from EA later today.

UPDATE 2:

It’s official. Both demos cost £3.99 in the UK as well. I’ve emailed EA to see if we can get an explanation.

When I try going to the FIFA 14 page on the Xbox One UK site, I’m greeted with this:

Capture

UPDATE:

I just checked the Xbox One Australian webstore and found that the FIFA 14 demo also costs $4.99 in Australia:

fifa 14

Here’s a another paid demo tweet, courtesy of @RaygunBrown.

ORIGINAL STORY:

ea-sports-ufc-demo-xbox-one

The image comes from Aussie_Legend on Twitter. Thank you good sir.

He sent us an off-screen photo to show that this hasn’t been fudged or anything like that:

ea Sports UFC

We’re guessing this is a mistake, but in the wake of Dungeon Keeper in-app purchasing controversy, and other money based hilarity out of EA, this doesn’t look great.

What do you think?

1. Joe Anderson

Apparently the FIFA 14 demo is also $4.99

#1 5 months ago
  2. Joe Anderson

I’ve checked the UK store. FIFA 14 demo is £3.99.

#2 5 months ago
  3. Kabby

You’re an idiot if you even consider paying for a demo.

#3 5 months ago
  4. Takeshi

Laughable. I’m looking forward to seeing an executive talk his way out of this one.

#4 5 months ago
  5. AlchemyFire

@Takeshi He’s going to try and blame this on core gamer’s not open to change again

#5 5 months ago
  6. TruthHurts

They’ll make the same excuse that it was just a pricing mistake (hint: it wasn’t, nobody spends extra man-hours adding proper transaction features to a demo page) as they did when they jumped Battlefield 4 pre-orders up to $70 right before launch and quickly pulled them down once people saw it and got angry.
    When someone does come forward and tries to talk their way out of this, don’t fall for their disgusting tricks. They’ll try this again with another product in a few months or years, and they’ll keep on trying until they get just enough room to get away with it. In the mean time we can all just laugh at EA.

#6 5 months ago
  7. The_Red

Apparently this is just a change designed with new gamers in mind. Sadly core gamers are allergic to changes. Peter Moore is a genius.

#7 5 months ago
  8. Llewelyn_MT

I’m buying regular full AAA games on Steam sale at that price…

I must be a core gamer because I feel the allergy symptoms already just seeing this BS.

#8 5 months ago
  9. polygem

not much…

resogun is fantastic.
    just started playing strider, promising too.

infamous looked sweet but really wasn´t aimed at more mature gamers. too much cheese for my taste.

eveything else: not really interested in it tbh.

it will probably instantly change with the release of destiny and diablo III – that will make me play much more on these nextgen toys – and we will definitely see some good stuff in 2015.

so glad that the wiiu kicks ass though with tons of great games on it, be it indie or the triple a stuff and shovel knight has – without a question – been an early goty contender for me already personally. it is a flawless game. really is.

These next gen systems still have a lot to prove, especially with the amazing wiiu kicking their asses quality games wise right now.

#9 5 months ago
  10. polygem

@polygem
    wrong thread kids :D
    sorry!

#10 5 months ago
  11. FreeZZa

Wow, that’s a new low. I own quite a few EA titles cause I like them and I tried not to hate on EA. But this, this is outrageous. It’s dumb even if I got these 5$ discounted if I bought the full game digitally afterwards.yy

#11 5 months ago
  12. The_Red

@FreeZZa This is what happens when people fail in their duty to vote for and choose them as the worst company in US for a single year. This is EA Unleashed (Comings this fall. Pre-order now to receive exclusive “Peter Moore is Smug” missions for just $100).

#12 5 months ago
  13. super3001

error on xbox website? I downloaded ufc demo for free.

#13 5 months ago
  14. super3001

error on xbox website? I downloaded ufc demo for free from dashboard

#14 5 months ago
  15. Dave Cook

@super3001 Nope. I just tried to download it through my console in the UK and it tried to charge me £3.99.

#15 5 months ago
  16. GK

M$ best company of the 2014 :D if you can’t make games,charge them for demo :D

#16 5 months ago
  17. chuckyj360

EA has a right to make money off demos. Gamers have a right to laugh at them call them idiots and not download the demo. EA crosses the line they have crossed many times before. EA this is why gamers don’t care for your company anymore. EA use to be widely respected in the gaming space. Now gamers cringe when the name EA is mentioned.

#17 5 months ago
  18. Aullah

Well… you bought the shittier console from a shitty company. Its like you signed: “Yes, pls buffuck me”.

#18 5 months ago
  19. chuckyj360

@GK umm.. You realize this is EA’s choice right? MS doesn’t tell companies what they can and can’t charge for right?

#19 5 months ago
  20. KesMonkey

“Polygon has cited an EA Australia rep as saying the priced FIFA 14 and UFC demos are due to a system error.”

Let’s not let facts get in the way of the EA bashing.

#20 5 months ago
  21. wicktus

1) system error/bug/mistake
    2° BIG FREAKIN JOKE, paying for a demo ? Thank goodness i’m on the good side with the ps4

#21 5 months ago
  22. Dimaco

@chuckyj360 I hardly doubt microsoft hasn’t got a word on what’s free and what’s not in their official store, tbh…

#22 5 months ago
  23. polygem

Vocal minority. We need U again!

#23 5 months ago
  24. grizzlycake

lolea

I swear if this is like the retarded online passes where in a few years there’ll finally be demos again but they’ll cost you a few euros.

Now I’m sad :c

#24 5 months ago
  25. redwood

AAA gaming is becoming a previlage, i really hope this is an error :\

#25 5 months ago
  26. Erthazus

Console gaming at it’s finest.

#26 5 months ago
  27. Erthazus

On the PC you have Steam sales where you can buy 100 AAA titles for 60 bucks but on a console you can buy yourself a demo of a shitty product that is inferior to it’s PC counterpart.

Systems have no good games at all but they offer already paid demos for nothing. That is amazing seriously

and I’m one of the guy that thinks that 5 EURO’s for a SKIN in League Of Legends is already too much.

#27 5 months ago
  28. Legendaryboss

Oh dear unprecedented relationship working its tricks.

#28 5 months ago
  29. life28

Screenshots from US store with links, both $4,99

#29 5 months ago
  30. Capt.N00P

EA likes kojima’s idea!
    Microsoft should also comment about the matter not just ea, Isn’t this abusing for the system? or abusing the system only apply on customers!

#30 5 months ago
  31. ManuOtaku

@Erthazus i would not use the word buy for steam games, on consoles atm, yes you buy a game, on steam, is more like a lease.

On the topic at hand, i wonder if EA was pissed for the last year second place in the worst company competition, they are improving, i am confident they will win again, they have champions mentality.

#31 5 months ago
  32. Darkfield

Gotta love how EA is trying to destroy itself from within. All these schemes and scandals only brings about their own demise.

#32 5 months ago
  33. The_Red

Wow, so it was just a pricing / system error. Imagine the UK store, US store and AU store all making the same automated mistake at the same time!

The odds are really against EA, a good company that’s just looking for change.

#33 5 months ago
  34. Docker Al

The price for the UFC demo in Australia has gone up since the photo above was taken. $6.65. FIFA is now listed as free. I’m looking at them as I type this.

#34 5 months ago
  35. Vigil

I don’t know why I am surprised, it is EA after all.

#35 5 months ago
  36. The_Red

With the way EA is running things, soon the future EA news like the latest update should read as: “EA” “issues” “technical” “error” statement (Because the statement is the only part that doesn’t require quotation marks).

#36 5 months ago
  37. Legendaryboss

Reactionary comments how did that work out?. So it was a timed exclusive, how sickening! It was a experiment!

See?

#37 5 months ago
  38. Dragon

So, this thing which in the end turned out to be a technical error had PR users from all sides (ninty, sony, pc etc.) jumping the gun and pointing out their superiority, instead of realising that, maybe, just maybe, platforms didn’t have anything to do with this error.

#38 5 months ago
  39. OrbitMonkey

Mark my words, the 0.99 cent/penny demo will soon be a reality.

It’ll just take EA a few more “technical errors” before they hit the sweet spot.

#39 5 months ago
  40. infernalism

Hey, if Konami can do it, then the pioneers of milking themselves are supposed to shy away? Konami might have given you a bullshit story about a prologue to a much larger game. They said something about side missions prolonging the experience etc. and then some people were surprised that they paid for a demonstration.

EA will flat out call it a demo, and slap the price tag right on it. They are two-time!, Two-time! Two-time! WCIA CHAMPIONS, and they don’t f**k around.

#40 5 months ago
  41. Legendaryboss

@infernalism Prologue releases is nothing new, highly priced prologue releases is a different beast altogether.

#41 5 months ago
  42. Rafa_L

Man, even if we believe this was a true mistake, it’s salt in the wound. I’m feeling very very exploited as a gamer. Companies are shamelessly trying to get our last penny.

I remember when EA announced they wouldn’t use online passes anymore, many people thought it was a sign they would change their politics a little to get away from “the worst company” reputation, not even close, I think the only reason we don’t see those anymore is because it’s way more lucrative for them if the second hand consumer gets into the multiplayer and spend on the DLCs then he not playing at all because of a paywall.

#42 5 months ago
  43. salarta

Bullshit.

I won’t harangue EA repeatedly about this just because they have plausible deniability, but this is something we know for a fact companies would love to do. Capcom tried to bullshit their way into making people pay for a demo of Megaman Legends 3 to “prove they want the game.” They dropped that plan, but then went on to blame the fans’ supposed “lack of interest” on why they decided to completely cancel MML3.

That was Capcom, not EA, but it shows exactly the type of thinking behind these companies lately. They want money. They’ll pull any cheap, underhanded means of getting that money they can think up. While it’s certainly POSSIBLE this was a technical error, I’m certain this was an attempt to get the ball rolling on paid demos. I doubt they expected to be able to get away with it THIS time, but this time wasn’t the real end goal for them. The real end goal was to see how people would react, and to try to get people used to the idea of paid demos.

#43 5 months ago
  44. Seventizz

@Kabby Metal Gear: Ground Zero is a 30-40 dollar demo. And that sold rather well.

Paid demos might be the norm. How many X360 games did you actually buy after you played the demo?

#44 5 months ago
  45. Panthro

An error? Yeah an error on there part thinking it was OK for them to charge for a demo…

I could understand if the pricing of the demo’s was at £49.99 and someone priced them as if they were the full games by accident but this was obviously on purpose.

I bet a lot of xbox gamers bought it to, which only makes it that much worse.

#45 5 months ago
  46. Seventizz

@Panthro *too

#46 5 months ago
  47. Digital Bamboo

I, actually, agree with salarta completely on this:

100% unadulterated Bullshit.

An experiment in new potential revenue streams that they can easily brush off as a “technical error” Oh yes, who’s going to prove otherwise? Well now they’ve got their data, collected their free market research and will go back to business as usual; until it’s time for phase 2.

#47 5 months ago