Don’t feel blue, coloured PS4 controllers are on the way

Tuesday, 24th June 2014 02:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The PS4′s long-awaited blue Dual Shock 4 control pad will be available later this year.

A post on the PlayStation Facebook Page confirmed Wave Blue controllers will be available in the US from northern autumn.

I’ve never really been taken by the idea of fancy coloured controllers or consoles, but I know a lot of you love injecting a bit of colour into proceedings, so hooray! Spice up your life.

There’s been no word on the Magma Red version which was announced alongside Wave Blue; we had originally expected both controllers shortly after the console’s launch. Pricing hasn’t been re-confirmed, but last we heard Sony was looking at about $60.

We haven’t heard a sniff of either colour variant in Europe and beyond, either, but both territories will receive the Glacier White PS4 and DualShock 4 in September alongside Destiny, as well as a camouflage print controller.

Normally this sort of news is greeted with glad cries, but a glance at the comments on the announcement shows a contingent of PS4 fans are unhappy with the Dual Shock 4 due to peeling rubber on the analog sticks – especially the left one. It’s hard to tell how widespread this issue is – mine’s fine, and I’d never heard of this before – but if it is prevalent then here’s hoping the reason the coloured variants have taken so long is because Sony has been working to improve its manufacturing or materials.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. dazedonthemoon

Use my DS4 pretty heavily and haven’t had any rubber peeling issues at all. Only gripe is I wish I could use it on my PS3.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Ifrinne

I want my damn Magma Red controller; I don’t give two shits about the rest of them. Crap was promised to be here in the U.S. by the end of LAST YEAR.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Waterclog555

“It’s hard to tell how widespread this issue is – mine’s fine, and I’d never heard of this before ”

A “videogame journalist” who never heard of this problem? It is a very well known fact, even Sony themselves acknowledge it as you can see by this amazon link for “Replacement Controller analog Stick Thumbsticks”.

It reads on the Product Details:
    “PLEASE NOTE – THESE PARTS ARE ORIGINAL AND AS SUCH THEY MAY SUFFER THE SAME WEAR PROBLEMS THAT THE PS4 THUMB STICKS ARE CURRENTLY KNOWN TO SUFFER FROM. THE DEGREE OF WEAR WILL BE DIFFERENT FOR EACH PLAYER / PLAYING STYLE.”

Also a simple google search about this issue will give you multiple results, I’ll save you the trouble, a link from official playstation forums:

and more results:

#3 3 months ago
  4. newtain

Quite surprised at this. When i had my PS4 from release here in the UK i purchased a Magma Red and a Wave Blue controller within a week of the console being released, however, they are like gold dust and when i sold my console the controllers went for more than i bought them for.

Regarding the problem on the joysticks…mine began to disintegrate almost immediately. I solved this by quickly buying the attachable thumb grips for £3.99 (for 2), and this actually made the controller better to use. Thankfully i’ve had no such problems with my Xbox One controller!

#4 3 months ago
  5. psxman

I’m feeling a lot of anger here for something that really doesn’t deserve it.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Revolting

I have two DS4s, which I cycle, so both are used equally. One started peeling noticeably on the left stick fairly early on in it’s life, while the other has remained as pristine as the day it was unboxed. I wasn’t aware that this was such a widespread issue until reading this, but if that many people are experiencing it (and interesting that it’s nearly always on that pesky left stick), maybe there really were production issues with some batches.

#6 3 months ago