Experience No Man’s Sky right now with this “open beta version”

Thursday, 19th June 2014 05:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Warning: humour ahead.

no_mans_sky_beta

If you’re keen on Hello Games’ upcoming sandbox, I don’t blame you; the No Man’s Sky E3 footage looked wonderful. Whether you love the idea or hate it, though, you’ll probably get a giggle out of this satirical No Man’s Sky beta, which was put together by the Josh and Jay’s Excellent Video Game Show team.

It’s a pretty funny joke, although there are genuinely some gamers who find games about exploring randomly-generated worlds to be meaningless and unsatisfying. You know the kind I mean – they say things like “but what is the point of it” and think Minecraft was a waste of time until the quest to reach the Nether Dragon was implemented.

These people can enjoy expressing their disdain in the comments, where we’ll politely ignore them; I am well excited for No Man’s Sky. Over on Kotaku, there’s a great interview with Hello Games which discusses how the game’s apparently impossible scope – a whole universe, procedurally generated – is possible.

Hello Games has built its own engine to power the game, which founder Sean Murray calls “super crappy” – presumably referring to the fact that it’s been cobbled together by a team of four for private use, rather than polished by dozens to be sold to other developers.

The tech is entirely focused on procedural generation, and allows Hello Games to quickly generate hundreds of variations of objects with just a few changing parameters like colour, size, and the position and ratio of various parts like windscreens or muscles. Every new base model of ship, or tree or what have you that the team creates can be used to spawn assets built on similar lines but often very different in appearance, with just a few clicks.

“You’re building a blueprint, and that’s true of everything in the game,” Murray said.

“So say one of our artists will build something and that will take say a week. But what they get from that is every possible variant of that. So if you build a cat, you also get a lion and a tiger and a panther and things that you’ve never seen—kind of mutations beyond that.”

“When I was saying that we don’t know what’s out there – every time I play through this I’m seeing something that’s new and often I’m seeing something I’ve never seen before. And that’s quite cool,” he added,

No Man’s Sky doesn’t create a new, unique world for every user who logs in. Instead, everyone is exploring the same huge, persistent universe. it’s not stored on the disc or in a cloud server, but generated on the fly whenever you log in and start exploring – sort of like when you and a friend share a Minecraft seed but explore your own single player games. The difference in your experiences depends on where you spawn initially.

It’s a lengthy feature but worth a read; click through above to learn more.

1. RefuseBunny

*Ender Dragon

The game certainly looks gorgeous.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Cheeseman

Come on, VG24/7, this is a new low for this website. Whats up with this site with extremely click baiting titles recently. You guys are even worse than Kotaku and Rock Paper Shotgun these days.

What happened to the site where I could get news without all these click baiting shit?

#2 3 months ago
  3. dazedonthemoon

@Cheeseman
    Simmer down guy. The “open beta” in quotes should have gave it away for you. You’re acting like clicking this link took away that precious second you needed more than anything else. Now you are forever left scornfully looking at the sky with a balled up fist, all the while cursing VG24/7′s name.

Overdramatic right? Now you know how I feel reading your comment.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Cheeseman

@dazedonthemoon

It has been pretty much annoying to use VG24/7 these days. The editorials are downright terrible with tonnes of ridiculous suggestions like the Why should PC be on E3 article. E3 is a console and retail centric event so why the hell PC needs to be there when almost everything on PC is digital these days?

I used this site a lot because I want announcements or updates on games that is usually posted pretty quickly with little fluff or nonsense on it. Not click baiting articles popping up one after another.

The Open Beta was not in quote initially.

#4 3 months ago
  5. dazedonthemoon

@Cheeseman
    I get what you mean, and I’ve noticed the slow change in the way VG24/7 handles its headlines and business practicing. I also didn’t know the quotes weren’t originally in there. So my bad on that. I’ve just been a little annoyed lately with number of attacks and wicked sarcasm from people towards this site lately. Everyone freaking out because there is a few articles about women not being characters and attacking Brenna for bringing it up. Then every post has a sarcastic remark to make fun of it.

This is also my main news site, even though I’m American. I vastly preferred the original design but I guess I’m just tired of all the bitching on here. Makes me grumpy.

#5 3 months ago
  6. Cheeseman

@dazedonthemoon

I dont understand what is so difficult to make a site just to post news without all the garbage editorials, just like that ridiculous “Why we stopped playing Watch Dogs?” where from the headlines, it sounded like Watch Dogs is a terrible game. It isnt but it is very flawed to the core.

I dont think its sarcasm remark to make fun of it, i think the quality of journalism on this site has declined a lot. It is a lot like what RPS has become but VG is even more obnoxious.

Try this site if you want to: http://thegamerspost.com/

I’ll definitely use it as my main site for gaming news at a glance now as I could choose the sources that I want to read.

#6 3 months ago