In order to sell Kinect you have to sell Xbox One first, says Spencer

Saturday, 14th June 2014 21:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft officially started selling a Kinect-less Xbox One as an option at retail this week, and Xbox boss Phil Spencer feels the move will help sell more of the cameras in the long run.

phil_spencer_e3_2014

Speaking with Polygon, Spencer said while such a philosophy may seem “backwards,” you have to “sell the console before you can sell Kinect.”

“Price point is important. I had to give people a choice when they come in to go buy a console, that we have a console that’s at a competitive price, that’s at an entry price for them,” he said. “And the $100 price drop isn’t trivial. We’ve got to be competitive with the Xbox One console, and then we’re going to allow people to add Kinect later when they can.

“They can buy it standalone. If they want to buy it day one, I still think that’s the best Xbox One experience over the long run, but giving them choice will let us grow the largest install base of Xbox One customers, and those who choose to, will actually add Kinect to it as well.”

Spencer said Kinect as an option is also good for developers. This way, studios are able to choose when to use Kinect as part of the experience and when not “and that’s the way it should be.”

“In terms of a specific focus to say, ‘Hey, you guys, you have to do something that requires Kinect.’ I’m not doing that. I’m saying you need to go make games that are great,” he offered. “We think Kinect adds functionality to the platform that makes games better, and developers will use that when they think it will make their game better.

“I think it’s great because people see it as an outlet for creativity, whether it’s immersion, whether it’s voice integrated in some interesting way, whether it’s gesture.”

An Xbox One without Kinect will run you $399/£349, and a standalone Kinect will be offered in the fall.

1. silverstorm

OR, you could just focus on the machine and scrap kinect altogether cause no one cares about it.

#1 1 month ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Someone should have told Microsoft that roughly about a year ago. They did? Well i don’t know what to say.

#2 1 month ago
  3. N7Caboose

The kinect is a great piece of kit, not for the motion controls or the hand gestures that i never ever use but for the voice commands, they have made me lazy……very lazy. While i know it wont be for everyone i do try and suggest people buy the kinect for that reason alone as they come in handy :D But that is just my opinion :)

#3 1 month ago
  4. Kane

They should have put Phil in charge years ago. None of this shit storm would have happened otherwise

#4 1 month ago
  5. thesnowman

I actually love connect for the media functions. Got my cable plugged into the xbox one and love using the voice controls, even my wife loves it, so much so that when she is watching another tv she has to fight the urge to talk to the tv. However for games its crap, and not worth it. I think MS should sell it as an entertainment add on, and move away from game use.

#5 1 month ago
  6. pukem0n

it’s only great for voice commands and fitness games, and there is only so much fitness you can do in front of your TV until it gets boring

#6 1 month ago
  7. Doppleganger

Kinect is fantastic for the voice commands and I also get a kick out of the face recognition.
    I don’t have the right sitting set up but forza and battlefield 4 have amazing head tracking movement with the kinect.

#7 1 month ago
  8. zoopdeloop

*looks at the headline*

true…an acquaintance of mine tried to sell the original Xbox One SKU that he won in a contest,with no luck…eventually he sold them separately to different buyers.First One then Kinect

#8 1 month ago