Ubisoft responds to lack of playable females in Assassin’s Creed: Unity

Wednesday, 11th June 2014 20:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Internet was all a twitter yesterday when Assassin’s Creed Unity’s technical director James Therien stated that adding a female playable character to the game would have “doubled the work” despite the fact it’s being developed by 10 Ubisoft studios.

assassons_creed_unity

Cue an official response from Ubisoft handed to Kotaku:

We recognize the valid concern around diversity in video game narrative. Assassin’s Creed is developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs and we hope this attention to diversity is reflected in the settings of our games and our characters.

Assassin’s Creed Unity is focused on the story of the lead character, Arno. Whether playing by yourself or with the co-op Shared Experiences, you the gamer will always be playing as Arno, complete with his broad range of gear and skill sets that will make you feel unique.

With regard to diversity in our playable Assassins, we’ve featured Aveline, Connor, Adewale and Altair in Assassin’s Creed games and we continue to look at showcasing diverse characters. We look forward to introducing you to some of the strong female characters in Assassin’s Creed Unity.

As mentioned above, Assassin’s Creed Unity is in development at 10 Ubisoft studios: Montreal, Toronto, Singapore, Quebec, Annecy, Shanghai, Chengdu, Kiev, Montpellier and Bucharest.

This led Assassin’s Creed 3 animation director Jonathan Cooper to state today on Twitter (via Gamespot) that adding female playable characters to the game would have taken the teams two days, tops.

“In my educated opinion, I would estimate this to be a day or two’s work,” said Cooper who now works at Naughty Dog. “Not a replacement of 8000 animations. Man, if I had a dollar for every time someone at Ubisoft tried to bullshit me on animation tech.

“[Liberation's Aveline] shares more of Connor Kenway’s (AC3) animations than Edward Kenway (AC4) does.”

Furthermore, Cooper stated on Twitter that in the last Assassin’s Creed prototype he worked on, “entering your name as Aleissia [female developer] allowed you to play as a female character.”

Anyway. Assassin’s Creed Unity is PC and new-gen only and out on October 28.

1. DarkElfa

When do I get to play as Larry Croft in Tomb Raider?

#1 3 months ago
  2. salarta

Oh, neat, a non-response response. I love those. They’re always so empty.

You know, I started out this comment about to say that this was incredibly stupid, but Arno being the sole character you follow makes it sort of acceptable. But then I put more thought into it. The assassins are an organization. We know that they don’t always work completely alone, they sometimes work together. That answers the narrative bullshit: you can have unique assassins for the multiplayer element, and you don’t even need them taking a major story role, just suggest they’re random assassins.

Then what about extra work to make different models? Yeah, about that. If they were all purely palette swaps, the exact same look with different colors, that might be a decent excuse. “We’re trying not to linger too long on this thing.” But then, you look at the designs currently out there, and you see that they’re more involved than that. The clothing differs in meaningful ways, so even though it’s all Arno, it’s Arno with different styles. That same effort couldn’t have been done by creating unique models?

Lastly, James Therien said the option to be a woman as a playable was “on the features list.” Aside from what I pointed out with the last article, that means they not only knew there would be a strong desire for female assassins, but that they had a design in mind that could allow for it. Even they didn’t consider “You’re all Arno” to be a thing at first. That, or they were going to make female Arnos. Imagine that.

No matter which way you slice this, the situation speaks very poorly of Ubisoft and their usage of the Assassin’s Creed brand. Either they consider men to be the default of the world and being a woman to be merely a feature, or the company or its development teams are clearly rushing their games and sacrificing elements to get it out there within the imposed deadline of having at least one Assassin’s Creed game out annually. If they keep the “everyone is Arno” excuse going, there is no way they’re coming out of this without a black mark on how they make these games are made one way or another.

#2 3 months ago
  3. Legendaryboss

Part two or part 5, depending on your perspective.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Erthazus

Who the hell cares?

Female that, male that…. Who Cares? They are a bunch of European ninja’s for Fucks sake. What’s the point in female character? Developers should do what they want and dumbKotaku should not ask Ubisoft about Female characters.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Gheritt White

@Erthazus All of a sudden I REALLY care about female characters in Assassin’s Creed.

#5 3 months ago
  6. salarta

@DarkElfa Whenever I get to play as a female Snake in Metal Gear Solid, a female Dante in Devil May Cry, Linka in Legend of Zelda, Maria in a new game in the Mario universe, Gordita Freeman in the next Half-Life game, Franz West in the next Dead Rising, Maxine Payne in a new game set in the Max Payne universe, Kratosa in God of War, Master Chiefa in Halo, and the list goes on.

You see, unlike characters like Milla in Tales of Xillia, there’s a MASSIVE amount of lead male protagonist representation out there, compared to a handful of lead female protagonists, most of which are no longer in use, while most of the current ones are heavily stereotyped as victims or highly sexualized.

So when you say “when do I get to play as Larry Croft in Tomb Raider,” you may as well be telling me I’m allowed to ask for more than one out of the list I just ran through. After all, you’re asking to make a male character for one of the scant IPs that are female protagonist driven, while there’s an endless procession of ones starring male protagonists.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Legendaryboss

… Does no-one remember Assassin Creed Liberation? No? Ubisoft really don’t need to explain themselves to people with double standards clear as day.

#7 3 months ago
  8. DarkElfa

@salarta Why don’t you use some of that pro woman energy and fight for actual real world equality. There are plenty of places in the world where women are still property and here you are, Captain White Knight, blowing your wad over a stupid game.

For someone who claims to care, Ron Weasley said it best, you need to sort out your priorities.

#8 3 months ago
  9. YoungZer0

@DarkElfa

Are you telling him to actually do something outside of his home? Are you nuts? Social Justice Warriors aren’t known for going outside, that’s why they care so much about so little.

#9 3 months ago
  10. KAP

Watch Dogs had you has a male or female when you see other players online, couldn’t Ubisoft just do the same thing witht the co-op with this?

#10 3 months ago
  11. YoungZer0

So wait. If understand it correctly, than it’s similar to the way the multiplayer in Watch_Dogs works, right? You see yourself as the main character, but others see you as a random NPC?

How can anybody know this and still complain? I mean apart from the fact that you can’t see your avatar as others see it, it’s pretty fucking obvious why they would still use a male model, since the entire animation set in for a male character.

But I guess people with agenda don’t want to think and don’t care about logic and reason.

Fucking terrorists, seriously, you got nothing on Ubisoft, you had black, native, female, irish, hell even arabs and you cunts still complain.

Fucking douchebags.

#11 3 months ago
  12. DarkElfa

@YoungZer0 No handicapped… I want my wheel chair bound assassin.

Groups that only care about equality for their own are no better than those who keep equality from them.

#12 3 months ago
  13. Gheritt White

@DarkElfa I hate everyone, equally – that’s equality in action for you.

#13 3 months ago
  14. salarta

@DarkElfa There are at least two flaws in this argument. One is that you assume this is all I do, because it’s all you see of me. Two is that you assume campaigning to fix one not as serious problem is immediately “wrong” just because there are other, greater problems still in the world. By your logic, nobody’s allowed to complain about anything if there are still kids getting abused or women stuck in abusive relationships or soldiers with PTSD.

There are many, many problems in this world, and this is small compared to those problems, but that doesn’t make this not a problem. If we have no right to complain about these problems for that reason alone, then that logic dictates we shouldn’t have video games, films, TV, etc at all in our society. After all, why waste our money on pretending to do something that has any kind of worth when we can go out and do things that actually make a difference?

With that said, I’m done arguing with you after this post. As you wisely pointed out, there are plenty of things I can do that can make a difference. Arguing with you when it’s obvious you don’t want to listen isn’t going to help anyone. That doesn’t mean I won’t make the kind of posts I do. It just means time won’t be wasted trying to “qualify” them past you.

#14 3 months ago
  15. PSOCecil

The correct question isn’t ‘who cares?’, but ‘why do they care?’. While a gender option would be cool, there’s far more pressing issues, that are far more important. For example, the footage we saw looked very prerendered. That’s troubling. Ubisoft’s going to pull another Watch_Dogs on us.

And the PC port will still run absolutely horribly and be bloated with horrible coded, memory leaking uPlay.

#15 3 months ago
  16. DarkElfa

@Gheritt White Well, you get my point. Anyone who truly believes in equality wouldn’t name themselves as representing any particular group but all groups, all disfranchised. To be any other way is to say you only care about what affects you and yours and at that point you’re on no firmer ground than those you’re fighting against.

#16 3 months ago
  17. PSOCecil

If a question like this was asked in any other art form, it would be considered a non-issue, and the creators would keep doing their job, and the article asking the question would be in a specific ‘blog’ section, not the ‘breaking news’ section. This is the problem with videogame ‘journalists’, and why no one takes them seriously.

#17 3 months ago
  18. DarkElfa

@salarta You are not the hero that the feminist movement needs right now, but you’re the one they deserve.

Fight the fights that need fighting Salarta, not the ones that are easy.

#18 3 months ago
  19. polygem

Girls need to be in. Of course. Women are in that war of the vikings game that i played a lot recently. A game with a much much smaller budget.

No need to make a drama out of this (not aimed at salarta at all) but that option needs to be in a modern game. It’s ok that people give them shit for it just like in that tomodachi thing recently.

It’s ok to even overreact. Why not. It doesn’t hurt anyone. I can understand that some people feel discriminated because of stuff like this.

They should share that. It’s a good thing. you know why, because this actually IS a real world action. The louder you tell ‘em the earlier they will adapt. Stay quiet and keep buying…Nothing will change.

#19 3 months ago
  20. silkyflash

@Erthazus dude/girl you couldnt speak my feelings about this anymore clearly than myself.

#20 3 months ago
  21. salarta

@polygem I’ll say on the flip side of the situation that it’s fair for some people to worry about overreaction. In certain cases, it can lead to someone getting fired. A person getting fired isn’t, or at least shouldn’t, be necessary for change unless there’s absolutely no other choice. That person can be given a job in something else, assuming more thought put into their attitude doesn’t change their opinions on things.

Also, I’ll take this time to say that if someone that actually cares about these issues wants me to shut up, they can say so and I will. But only those people. If it’s someone that’s trying to prevent progress in those areas, I’m going to automatically assume it’s yet another attempt at getting people to accept the status quo as they want it to be.

#21 3 months ago
  22. ddtd

@polygem But it appears that there is no option in coop play. You are always the main character, Arno. Similar to Watch_Dogs, you have no control in how you appear to other players.

While it still would have been nice if they represented women by having female assassin models for coop, I think it’s much less aggrievous that they’re not included now that I know you’re always going to be Arno on screen.

#22 3 months ago
  23. ignoreLander

@salarta

“Arguing with you when it’s obvious you don’t want to listen” = “Getting pissy because I can’t make you change your mind with my weak arguments and faulty reasoning”.

#23 3 months ago
  24. polygem

@salarta, ddtd
    Sure, i am fine with people worrying about overreaction. It’s the debate that counts.

In this case i don’t personally think it’s a big deal that it’s not in. It would have been nice, future games will have it, you can count on that.

#24 3 months ago
  25. Malmer

And AC usually have loads of different skins for the player. I assume this is no different. So they couldn’t spend some time and make one more for the co-op?

#25 3 months ago
  26. RedRun

Wow, i am bit late to the party here.

I think the problem here is not that they didn’t include the female characters but rather how they answered the question as to why not. If you start bullshitting and saying that it will take you forever to create animations for female characters and that valuable resources will be wasted in doing so then people will go on the offensive.

They must have had a reason for not including them in the coop. It’s probably a very stupid one as well. In Brenna’s article, developer clearly mentions that it was on to do list “up until very recently”. Well how long were you starring at that damn to do list and not doing shit about it? If it was on the to do list for a while, shouldn’t this have been done a long time ago along with male character creation and animation?

#26 3 months ago
  27. yeoung

I think the saddest thing here is that Ubisoft felt pressured enough to feel they have to justify what they do and do not put in their game. Not that I feel empathic towards Ubisoft, mind you, but to have to actually validate misplaced and unintelligible “concerns” like these means that at some point someone felt they were legitimate and/or well-founded.

I weep at the precedent set here. It’s like the pinky toe of a rational mind being stubbed on the unyielding corner of non-issue furniture.

#27 3 months ago
  28. PEYJ

I am definately supporting this game now; thank god there are no playable female characters in the game.

Seriously; they have to defend themselves from that? THAT is the worrying part of it.

If they change their mind and do add playable female characters, I won’t support it.

#28 3 months ago
  29. YoungZer0

@yeoung

As I said in a different thread, they are the loud minority.

#29 3 months ago
  30. Joe Musashi

Release a female player character as DLC
    Report how many units the game ships and how much the DLC sold

Result: How many people say they want something and how many people actually do want it.

Case in point: petition to have female players represented in FIFA barely reached 13,000 virtual signatures.

A quote from the petition page: “As of 2011, the FIFA franchise is in 51 countries and 18 languages and it has sold more than 100 million copies worldwide. FIFA 12 holds the record for the “fastest selling sports game ever” with over 3.3 million games sold and over 186 million dollars in its first week of release.

This data makes it one of the best-selling video game franchises of all time.”

Signing an e-petition isn’t exactly a demanding process.

So, for a franchise that’s reached 100 million people, 13,000 managed to click their mouse at least once.

That’s a pretty conclusive noise-to-signal ratio.

JM

#30 3 months ago
  31. YoungZer0

@Joe Musashi

This will probably create another fake controversy. It’s also a waste of resources just to see how much it would make.

#31 3 months ago
  32. TheWulf

They’re going for multiculturalism as opposed to gender equality, I guess, and they want to keep that multiculturalism strong. Though from something as very intended for the mainstream herd as AC, I’m surprised they’re even bothering with that. Most Assassin’s Creed players don’t give a damn about the ethnicity or nationality of whichever character they’re playing. They just want to kill shit.

That’s a stupid example. You’re talking about less than 1 per cent of games versus 99 per cent. Most games are geared towards a healthy, straight, white, cis-gendered male audience, after all. And that audience can be the scum of the earth, due to how they’ve never felt the bite of racism, sexism, homophobia, transprejudice, ableism, and so on. Not to mention that they’ve never truly felt marginalised. That’s how you can make tasteless, tactless, and obliviously invidious statements like that.

If you were to be put into the shoes of the people you mock, you’d likely break after a second, because you wouldn’t be able to fall back on all those “bros” you have for solidarity — they’d instantly shun you, just as you shun anyone whom you target as existing outside of your personal status quo. As I’ve mentioned before, this… commonality of blandness is a fairly new zeitgeist, but one upheld with a zealous, religious fervour. You hate people pointing out the lack of equality, because you fear equality. It means that someone else might knock you off your throne.

As such, I hope you recognise how painfully obtuse your statement was, now. You have straight, white males in everything, you arse. Women have very little to choose from, by comparison. But that’s not going to stop you from being prejudiced against them, is it?

If anything, you’re just showing your regressive attitude and misogyny. Oh, and as an extroverted person whose wits aren’t exactly what one would call sharp, you’re a wonderful case to prove that what I’ve always said about people like you is true.

As always, your kind loves to flash their stupidity at me without any shame or dignity.

Bravo, I guess.

@2 & 6

Pretty much. But hardly surprising given the type of game and who it’s meant for.

See my reply to the first commenter.

Which was a budget title on a handheld, denigrating women to second class citizens who deserve to show up only in budget titles.

Good example! Bravo! Bravo!

This is why I’m so angry all the time. It’s because people genuinely are stupid, and I’ve just given up and accepted this. I’ll talk to them as they act — golden rule.

Hahahaha, oh my goodness gracious me.

So, thicky, you’d hold that position if the tables were turned, would you? Of course you wouldn’t. You can only do that because you’re such a pampered, nurtured little shit, the kind who holds the attention of an equally dumb world. No, if the tables were turned, you’d be raging across the Internet, you would.

So, you’re not only stupid, but you have no empathy at all! Why are extroverts so commonly also low-functioning sociopaths?

Also, I’m pretty sure that salarta isn’t a guy, based upon a prior stated love for Polaris. Admittedly, this is something I railed against, but only because I didn’t think salarta was a guy and I found it weird that salarta likes one of Marvel’s biggest punching bags, often written by the most misogynistic characters out there (along with Tigra, Wasp, Ms. Marvel, and a few others).

Some Marvel characters at least have some semblance of balance, but Polaris has been abused way, way too much for my tastes. But perhaps it’s my knowledge of Marvel that tells me this, and salarta only came on board recently. But yes… salarta? Don’t read anything by Bendis. Ever. Just don’t. :I

But yes, I figured that salarta was also into equal rights from a woman’s perspective, too. I think that’s another reason I railed against the Polaris thing. I just… I’m a little confused why a seemingly smart woman who wants equal rights and representation supports such a punching bag. I dunno. *shrug.* Point is… I don’t think salarta’s a guy. So throwing ‘white knight’ out as an insult is… funny. Just funny.

Oh, good insult!

You care about more intelligent things than I do. Therefore you must be a nerd who never leaves their house, poindexter!

The ’80s called, they want their insults back. Oh, and they’re slightly peeved that you’re not using them as eloquently as they did.

It’s like a thickness parade!

We’re TERRARISTS too?! I’m falling out of my chair, here. Christ.

So, us TERRARISTS are TERRARISTS for wanting to be able to relate to the character on the screen? Okay, thicky! Right you are, then! It doesn’t matter how other people see us, does it? Hey, thicky, think of single-player games. You’ve likely been put out due to your doubtless right wing racist sensibilities whenever you’ve had to play a minority ethnicity. Think of it from that perspective, eh?

‘Think.’ Ha. That’s a laugh. Ohhh my.

Terrorists… hahahaha.

So, just because we’re asking about one thing, here, we’re discluding another, eh? Well, thicky, I’m a disabled person who pushes for more women in games. You’ll find that marginalised groups defend ourselves against genetic trash like yourself. Be a good boy and put yourself out with the garbage tomorrow, eh? The world would be a better place.

As for the rest of us? Yes, we’d all love to see priorly marginalised groups included in some shape or form. I’d love to see an amputee assassin, ya lackwit. Honestly, where did you find such an idiotic straw man? You need to stop shopping at Poundland for your arguments.

Oh my goodness. The right wing morons are out en force today.

Really. This is the best you’ve got? You’re thinking from the perspective of your own, microscopic worldview. Just because you’re a sociopathic extrovert who looks out only for number one, that doesn’t mean that everyone is, dig?

Yeesh.

This thread is turning me into the Don Rickles of VG24/7;

Oh, hey, I remember calling you a sociopath not so long ago. Nice to see you admit it!

Really, what is it with the ongoing dichotomy of sociopathy and extraversion?

We all ready do support each other. But these twisted right wing fantasies you have about us are very, very telling of your own mindset! You mollycoddled little nugget, you!

Oooh, a popular movie quote! Perhaps you’d like to quote Die Hard at us, next, with the belief that you’re actually contributing something? That sentence is meaningless, and it gets trotted out almost like verbal diarrhoea by people who believe it actually has some kind of meaning just because it was in some movie wot they liked.

Also, again, that you believe that the struggle for equal representation is an easy fight shows just how mollycoddled and television-educated you actually are! If you could draw your eyes away from the gogglebox for just a few seconds and take a look at the world around you through more open eyes…

But that’s like asking a bull to calculate pi to even 10 decimal places, isn’t it?

Thickos love pulling this. You say X = Y, but you don’t explain your reasoning. If you were a scientist doing this, you’d be laughed out of the symposium. Same if you were a debater, a politician, or a philosopher. It’s lazy, it’s cheap, and it’s an easy tactic for the dumb ones who actually fall for it.

Anyone can type: “What ignoreLander said.” = “That ignoreLander person is a blistering idiot!” but that doesn’t actually mean anything!

It’s stupid. So you’re just another extrovert flashing their stupidity at me without a care in the world. No shame, no dignity, just stupidity. Your kind is a dime a dozen.

An intelligent post, yay! I think I like you. Please… keep this up in the future and I’m sure we’ll be friends.

I’ve often had an exchange like this:

Person:The developer said they can’t do this because [lazy excuse X], and surely they know best!

Me:Uh, actually, if you research the matter, considering the manpower and resources they have, against the degree of work involved, you’d find it would be an effortless change for them to make.

Person:But you’re not a developer, so they know best.

Me:Well, actually, I have dabbled in it some and I have a friend who works in the industry. Furthermore, if you look at what some indie studios can do with limited resources and manpower in a shorter period of time, you’d finally see what I’ve been getting at all along. Had you considered the mere possibility that they might be lying to you? Just taking you for an idiot?

Person:Well, you can’t be a very good developer if you’re just rushing things out like that. I’m sure what they’re doing, they’re the developer, and they make good games.

And so it goes, so it goes, around and around, with them ignoring any evidence you give them. You can show them what a talented modeller, texture artist, and animator can pull off in a short period, and it won’t matter. You can show them portfolios detailing the length of time involved in creation, it won’t matter. It won’t matter what you show them, because they have blind faith in their brands.

Blind faith is all they know.

#32 3 months ago
  33. TheWulf

A lot wouldn’t buy it because they’d feel insulted, it still denigrates them to second class citizens by turning their gender into DLC. I understand that you don’t get this from a sociopathic perspective, you’ve never encountered discrimination in your life, and you’re a very mollycoddled person. The most nurtured people often turn into sociopaths because they have no idea what it’s like to suffer, to be cast out, to be set aside, excluded, seriously ill, or anything. Lucky buggers.

So your idea is inherently a bad one, but you wouldn’t remotely understand why. You couldn’t. Your mind isn’t capable of it, and that’s why we can’t communicate with people like you. Your kind is sociopathic by nature, you can’t understand the plight of other people — because if you could, you wouldn’t have made that post. That post was hard-nosed, capitalistic, and exploitative. You’re not even remotely aware of what bothers people about this.

You’re a very typical sociopath. One of many. As I said, sociopathy is common amongst extroverts. You can’t even begin to garner the insight to relate to a gamer of the opposite gender to yours, and how fed up they are of being treated like second class citizens because of their gender.

If the tables were turned, you would literally be throwing tables in anger. Your words betray your small world view, and how you’ve never really had to look at something from the perspective of another person.

Typical.

#33 3 months ago
  34. YoungZer0

@TheWulf

“So, us TERRARISTS are TERRARISTS for wanting to be able to relate to the character on the screen?”

Dunno why you write “Terrarist” instead of what I wrote. But I guess children will be children. Funny though … you need to play as a female character to be able to relate to them? Rather odd. Are you saying that other people are sociopaths like you who can’t relate to anyone who doesn’t share their gender/skin color?

#34 3 months ago
  35. Hcw87

This thread would be golden on r/cringe, someone make it happen.

#35 3 months ago
  36. YoungZer0

@Joe Musashi

See, what did I tell ya? No matter what you do, they’ll never be happy. They don’t even care about any of the stuff they complain about. They are just looking for the next fake controversy, so they can spout their toxic nonsense, all under the guise of justice. I see no difference between those people and your typical FOX news anchor.

#36 3 months ago
  37. TheWulf

I don’t think I can stomach another sociopathic thicko after that. Who knows? Maybe I’ve opened a few eyes by holding up a mirror to their own sociopathy, so they can see themselves as they truly are — nurtured, mollycoddled, television-educated, and without any understanding of anyone who isn’t immediately like them, without any capacity for compassion or empathy.

All you do is prove people like me right. And that’s why I’m acting how I am — to make a point. I’m being this way to make a point. I have a low opinion of extroverts in general — no insight, so the only option without that is sociopathy, because without insight you can’t have empathy. Empathy involves being able to look within yourself to understand the world around you, to question things, to analyse, to not take everything at face value.

There’s a reason that medical communities believe that sociopathy comes exclusively from extroverts, because sociopathy is the dark side of that behaviour, it’s when you go that step further towards just being completely motivated by your own gains, and nothing else at all. When you’re so shallow, vapid, and superficial that nothing exists beneath your skin — and you learn to change your skin to fool people, which is easier to do because, for an extrovert, that outer skin, that external self, is all there is.

Marginalised groups do tend to support and look out for each other, there are numerous groups I’d love to see portrayed in video games, and I’ve heard some absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical arguments here against that. I can always pick out the dimwits in a room, those with extroverted behavioural patterns, right wing beliefs, and a lack of subtlety and tact. And the only way you can get through to a person like that is to be equally blunt.

Equal representation is a worthy cause, for all marginalised groups. Anyone who’d disagree with that is a sociopath at best, and at worst… well, a greedy little monster.

#37 3 months ago
  38. YoungZer0

@TheWulf

” And that’s why I’m acting how I am — to make a point.”

Point being that you’re a self-righteous sociopath? Who thinks he’s free of responsibility by pretending to be a self-righteous sociopaths.

Hey, could you talk about packs and tribes again, like you always do? It’s a beautiful display of your mental issues.

#38 3 months ago
  39. Joe Musashi

@33 I presented my argument succinctly and gave a pertinent piece of real-world historic evidence to back it up.

You offered four paragraphs of irrelevant venomous assumption and petty name calling.

We’ll done.

JM

#39 3 months ago
  40. Joe Musashi

^^ Spot the unwanted auto-correct apostrophe.

JM

#40 3 months ago
  41. salarta

@TheWulf I’m only responding to the parts that are referring to me with this comment.

First, I’m a guy. Sorry to get you saying all the things you did only for me being a guy to be the case, but it’s what I am.

Second, about Polaris. All the things you mentioned about her use are exactly what I’m trying to help fix. I can’t give you the WHOLE story because it would take up way too much text and require all sorts of images, but I can give you as much as I think I need to say.

Polaris was, in the VERY beginning, the most progressive female character in the X-Men franchise. While Jean was very submissive and defined herself by men around her, Lorna spoke of being her own woman, and her powers were a fine display of the powerhouse she was originally meant to be. This was a woman created in 1968, the second female X-Men character, and she was the first in a setup for strong women.

Unfortunately… Claremont got to her. Claremont gets a lot of due praise for storylines like the Dark Phoenix saga or for making Storm a powerful character, but in the process of doing that, he went out of his way to turn Lorna into the punching bag you described her as being. Over two decades, he slowly corroded every single thing that defined the character as best he could. He made her heavily dependent on Havok to the point that he had her seriously cower behind a rock in terror to hide from Sabretooth while crying out for her big strong man in Alex to come save her, as perhaps the worst point of characterization. Then, right before Claremont finished with her, he tried to strip her off her magnetic manipulation abilities and turn her into a boring, generic strong woman. He seriously spent two decades systematically turning Lorna from a unique, interesting character that represented female empowerment, into a clingy, generic punching bag that needs a man in her life to have any worth.

That’s as far as most people know about the character, and at times, Marvel reverts back to that solely because some guys are nostalgic for the past even if certain parts of it were insultingly bad.

BUT, that’s not where things ended for Lorna. You see, the first run of X-Factor she was on took some very small steps by letting her act feisty and strong-minded, including in defense of mutant rights. She was still attached to the hip to Havok, but she was written better than the prior couple decades. Then, when Havok died in the late 90s, she got picked up to join Magneto as one of his lieutenants on Genosha. She got to be powerful again, show a little leadership, and slowly develop an identity that wasn’t all about Havok or getting defeated all the time.

Then, the genocide of all mutants on Genosha happened. Polaris survived, but she was driven insane by the horror of it all as a result. Because it’s not easy to live through the screams and cries for help from the people she couldn’t protect and have that running in your head nonstop until some people come to dig you out. The next run from that, by Austen, gets a lot of flak, but it did do a lot of great things for Polaris. She got to be more creative with her powers, she got to be more dominant and forceful, and she had some real badass and tough scenes, like when she got murderous bridezilla at her wedding when Havok left her at the altar for another woman. Remember, she was still insane at the time. It’s one of the most memorable moments in her entire history.

I don’t want to give the whole rundown, so I’ll be quicker with the rest. She found out her father was Magneto after all, which fixed a really stupid thing Marvel did of retconning it away back in the late 60s. This has allowed her to be involved in great stuff like House of M, or the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon. House of M had Lorna as a huge player on Genosha again, interacting with her family (Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver). When her sister, Scarlet Witch, stripped most mutants of their powers, Lorna lost hers and had an identity crisis over it to the point where she almost got herself killed thinking it’d restore her powers.

Skipping past a lot of other stuff, right now she’s starring on All-New X-Factor. She’s the team leader, for the first time in her whole 46 years of existence. She finally got an origin story in the prior run of X-Factor, she’s getting to interact with her brother Pietro for the first time in a decade, and she got to be an awesomely smart, powerful badass in All-New X-Factor #8.

In short, Lorna is a character that was meant to be awesome, got treated shitty for a few decades, and she’s finally getting a chance to shine and show how great she can really be. She’s not getting her full use just yet. Full use would involve many things, best of all being more sister-sister interaction with Scarlet Witch, something LOTS of fans are dying to see. The Exiles comic book series from 2009, short as it is, gives a glimpse into how great this can be.

What I see in Polaris is a character full of amazing potential that’s never had a real shot at having it put to use. I see a woman that’s been through some horrors and abuse in her lifetime, struggling with everything she’s endured while still trying to become the hero she wants to be. I was never much of a fan of the X-Men franchise until I found out about her, but she seems like a great one-character definition of the franchise: a character who knows the effects of prejudice, torn between dual philosophies of Xavier’s original idea of help and general peacefulness where able, and Magneto’s more militant policy of force as the answer. In the right hands, ones that actually give a damn about her as a character and what she could offer, she would be a gold mine full of complex opportunities. She’d be able to offer things no other character can provide, and most obvious of that is her sister relationship with Scarlet Witch. Marvel hasn’t used that for a good 5 years now, yet it’s increasingly the most desired female-female relationship out of the entire Marvel universe. It’s definitely the only prominent female-female family relationship Marvel has open to them.

#41 3 months ago
  42. BrokenSpline

If people really feel offended by “sexism” or lack of female character then don’t buy the damn game. Ubisoft is only going to understand what effects the bottom line. But hey I bet most of the people bitching about this will still be there on release day lapping it up.

#42 3 months ago
  43. DarkElfa

@TheWulf Get off your high fucking horse, jackass. These are VIDEO GAMES. You need to get some perspective as well. I have a wife and two daughters and you know what their input was? They don’t fucking care because these are VIDEO GAMES. Companies can make whatever the hell they want and put whoever the hell they want in their games that they are paying to create. Don’t like it? Don’t fucking buy it. You want to make a change, vote with your wallet instead of trying to guilt and PC shame them into doing your bidding.

Also, I’m a Democrat, I’m just not so far to the left I fell into the brainwash hole.

#43 3 months ago
  44. sebastien rivas

You know… knowing what you want and stick to it is not necessarily a bad thing.

If number plunge, it is not because the IP is necessarily dead and needs something frantically different for a “revival”.
    When funny ideas like this pop, it makes me wonder… Do they really listen to their gaming community?
    I do not see in what way playing a guy or a gal is going to make me go back at AC franchise. Maybe it will…. but so far I do not why it would.

There are tons and tons of ways to make the IP evolve. is this the best solution?!!?!

#44 3 months ago
  45. Brenna Hillier

Just updated with a correction – Cooper was AC3 animation director, not a designer.

#45 3 months ago
  46. FreeZZa

Since when is this a thing? Now every game needs to feature a playable woman? Sure, the shoehorn something into your game to make the angry internet people happy, great!

Also, the AC devs are the last devs who need to apologize for not being diverse enough. They had a (non-white!) woman, a black man, a native american and an arabic man as main protagonists. How is that ignorant and not diverse? What the fuck?

#46 3 months ago
  47. Renwick Davis

This is a none issue to me. I agree with the sentiment of the people who are outraged but I think this is an unnecessary battle. They should have allowed female skins (because that is all they were), but at the end of the day you are still playing as Arno regardless and the only thing that changes is how your friends see you. Its the same with Aiden Pearce in Watch Dogs multiplayer. You’re not actually playing as anyone else so who cares if I happen to look like a female to my friends when I’m still playing as Arno? It’s more important to have well-developed female characters in the story as opposed to some feature for your friends to see. I agree with more representation for females, but I think a lot of people get so concerned with female representation that they forget that anyone who isn’t a white male doesn’t get a lot representation. I don’t see people complaining that they can’t play as a non-white character. Compared to African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, and any other group of people females get a lot of representation. I can only remember a few examples of a black protagonist(only in the last 2 years), no examples of Hispanic protagonists, a few Asian protagonists, and two Native American protagonists(and one doesn’t count since he was modeled after a white guy). Having more female characters does not mean more diversity if other groups of people are excluded. Ubisoft has been very diverse with their characters in the past(Altair is Arabic, Connor is half Native American, Aveline is of African and French descent, and Adewale is a former Haitian slave), so I’m not going to write them off as being against diversity. There are lots of important battles to fight and this just isn’t one of them.

#47 2 months ago