No Man’s Sky E3 trailer is lovely indeed

Tuesday, 10th June 2014 03:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Joe Danger developer Hello Games showed off its procedural generated worlds title No Man’s Sky during Sony’s E3 2014 conference. It was first announced at VGX in 2013.

The exploration game is a science-fiction game “without limits.” If you mountain, you can trek there. If you see a planet hanging on the horizon, it’s a real place, with its own rich ecology of creatures and vegetation.

You can get in your ship, fly into space and it’s yours to explore.

Not just that, but every star in the sky is just the light of a sun, with its own solar system waiting for you to discover and adventure in.

Developed by a team of just four at Hello Games, No Man’s Sky has not been dated. No platforms besides PS4 have been officially listed as yet, but there was talk of PC back when it was first announced.

1. Rikki

God damn, this game looks amazing; and I don’t even know what the game is yet!!

#1 6 months ago
  2. Darkfield

I really enjoyed that footage, loved it in fact.

#2 6 months ago
  3. stockops3

Looks incredible I hope the planets are as deep as they say, but looks beautiful!

#3 6 months ago
  4. Dimaco

Looks amazing!! Definitely keeping an eye on this

#4 6 months ago
  5. TheWulf

This is the stuff that dreams are made from.

Okay, I’ll admit it, up front… I’m sorely disappointed by the cockpits, and to a lesser extent by the ships. Why would you want to be trapped in an ugly metal box when there’s so much wonder out there? I hope this is just a low-end ship, or a placeholder. Since otherwise that’s going to tarnish the rest of the experience.

Unlike Star Citizen, though? I’d play this. I’d play this for the everything else. I’d play this for the exploration, for seeing all of the things, for cataloguing all of the life forms! I love that. One of my favourite things about Beyond Good & Evil was taking photographs of every new form of life I found. And in this game, I may even get to name new species, too! That’s rad. That’s really rad.

Those planets though are breathtakingly, hauntingly beautiful. That’s what makes me want a very transhumanist ship to explore them, something where I can neural-link with the ship and just have some basic holography in my view, but no metal. You know, seeing with the ship’s sensors. Just have a HUD, and that’s it.

It’s just that the ship is so at odds with the game. It’s archaic, utilitarian, grey… almost a cure for insomnia. It has no romance to it whatsoever. It’s just a thing. A big hunk of metal thing. And that’s boring.

I want to pilot a space squid through this! A techno-organic space squid that I’m neural-linked to. Because why not? You have a Universe THIS fantastic, THIS beautiful, THIS … inspiring of wanderlust …

It’s like going for a hike into the redwoods wearing a business suit.

#5 6 months ago
  6. TheWulf

But I have to stress that it’s only the ships I’m so sorely disappointed with. I’d just land on planets and forget about it, just begrudgingly using it when I have to.

Because… those planets. Wow. They’re lovely. This is what that one game was trying to be, oh… what was it called? Nova? Novalis? Something like that. You had a spaceship, you could discover and name stars, and you could land on planets and see procedurally generated life forms. It was mesmerising for the time, but severely technologically limited by today’s standards.

No Man’s Sky is like that… but better. Except the ship in whatever-that-game-was-called was more interesting by far!

#6 6 months ago
  7. TheWulf

NOCTIS! That’s what it was. Noctis. This reminds me of Noctis, and better in every way than Noctis except for the ships.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Darkfield

@TheWulf But as shown in the footage you’re not limited, you can actually walk about the worlds and explore, even do combat on foot.

#8 6 months ago
  9. yeoung

Looks absolutely wonderful. The fact that you can traverse space and explore planets seamlessly like this has already sold me on it.

#9 6 months ago