Garry’s Mod dev thinks it’s “insane” to cut the number of games on Steam

Saturday, 31st May 2014 19:23 GMT By Sherif Saed

Garry Newman, the man behind multiple success stories on Valve’s digital platform, in the form of Rust and Garry’s Mod, reckons it would be “insane” to limit the number of games being released on Steam.

steam_greenlight

Amidst multiple calls for Valve to start curating content on Steam, Newman believes that this is not necessarily the answer. Speaking to MCVUK, Newman said, “The issue of discoverability is awesome to have.

“The focus should be on the users, not the developers. Users getting the choice of thousands of games is a good thing. The attitude that Valve should only allow X games a month on Steam is insane. Why would you limit it? Have you released a game and it isn’t selling? Make it better. Do some marketing.

“Steam is a digital distribution platform; they put your game on their store and allow people to buy it. Any extra exposure you get by being featured should be seen as an extra-unexpected bonus. It shouldn’t be relied on to sell your game,” he added. “I don’t think the Steam front page should be seen as a storefront. If your game is good and people want to play it – people will play it. Work at making your game as accessible as possible.”

Do you share his opinion, or are in favour of more curation from Valve’s part?

1. ImbaCyL

Now if only devs had good intentions like this instead of just dumping their old catalog/shovelware into steam with misleading release dates on the store page for a quick buck or maybe I’m just bitter.

#1 4 months ago
  2. Sethos

Then shove all those shitty games into a special category that doesn’t feature on the front page. Sick of seeing the entire front page of the steam store littered with this cheap indie shit. Then if one of those games from this category becomes popular, people buy it, they know how to market, THEN it can feature on the front page.

#2 4 months ago
  3. Panthro

I agree, give people diversity.

What I think is garbage might be another person’s favourite game.

I thought Bioshock Infinite was repetitive and generic yet I know plenty of people who think it’s amazing.

#3 4 months ago
  4. Untold stories

He doesn’t have the right to talk considering garrys mod derived from a very popular game. Plus it was never nearly as bad back then as it is now in the steam store front.

#4 4 months ago
  5. Panthro

@Untold stories

He has just released ‘Rust’ in early access and it has been one of the top selling games on Steam since.

And I think he has as much a say as anyone, Garrys Mod became so popular because people wanted to play it, it gathered a lot of it’s momentum when it wasn’t even available on Steam.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Darkfield

What Panthro said

#6 4 months ago
  7. TheWulf

It’s so, so much better than passionless, trite AAA shovelware. I’m sick of seeing Mr. Grimdark Sociopath P. Badass™ and his Unchallenging, Macho, Testosterone & Misogyny-laden, Desaturated, Joyless, Ethically Bankrupt, Poorly Written, And Completely Witless Grey-Brown Game for Incredibly Unintelligent Extroverts Who Just Want To Kill Shit™ crowding up the front page (and yes, the ™’s are flying thick and fast on Steam’s front page, I find it repulsive).

What’s annoying to you is a breath of fresh air to me.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I just don’t want Steam trying to thrust ‘stupid people’ games on me either. I propose a system of tags and categorisation where we could choose the games we wanted to see or not, hiding them from the front page. So I could turn off ‘macho bullshit’ and so on, and you could turn off ‘cheap indie shit.’

We’d both be happy, and it wouldn’t mean that developers would be robbed of the chance to put their games on Steam.

Yay! We agree! Again!

I’m all for diversity too. I hate the macho bullshit that makes up the mainstream, and how it’s meant for minds much more testosterone-addled than mine. Still, I wouldn’t ever be dumb enough to make demands about how Steam should stop selling them. I want Valve to continue to be profitable.

That’s why I propose the optional viewing system, it’s a solution to make everyone happy.

#7 4 months ago
  8. Tormenter

It’s the only was to stop the amount of game-less crap that exists on Steam. Broken and half-chewed products shouldn’t be available for money… and only certain games should be early access, the one’s where there is a reasonable chance of completion.

Your average Joe papping some barely started crap up and saying ‘yeah, buy it I will defo finish.” Shouldn’t be allowed, because there is no redress if they don’t.

Yes choice is good.. but it’s not good when the choice is full of bad products.

#8 4 months ago