Sunset Overdrive’s guns look insane in this new trailer

Friday, 30th May 2014 11:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Sunset Overdrive developer Insomniac Games has rolled out a new gameplay trailer for its Xbox One exclusive, this time looking at some of its insane weaponry.

It follows the first Sunset Overdrive gameplay trailer, and details on the Day One edition. Check it out.

The new clip shows a gun that fires vinyl records that ricochet off enemies and an explosive teddy launcher. All in a day’s work eh?

Via OXM.

1. undermyrules

nintendo and 1995 called they want their game back….LOL

#1 2 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@undermyrules Nah, looks more like a Dreamcast era game. Blue skies, vibrant colours. What it used to be like before it all went grey and serious.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Luciferous

I really like the cut of this guys jib/gib… Whatevs.

Also, the game looks gloriously tongue in cheek and may possibly be the reason i cave and end up owning all the new-gen consoles (damnit)

#3 2 months ago
  4. bradk825

It looks like a return to classic over-the-top games with wild premises. There aren’t that many colourful new IPs about a blue hedgehog that can somehow outpace the roadrunner trying to take down evil Doctors.

#4 2 months ago
  5. DarkElfa

@bradk825 I now want to see a film about Ron Jeremy taking on the Health Care system.

#5 2 months ago
  6. Dog4life

Jet Set Radio ?

#6 2 months ago
  7. POOhead

This, ki and new gears make me want an xbox1

#7 2 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

@bradk825 Yeah it’s shame that there’s a lack of colour in today’s triple-a market. Would never have happened under Suzuki’s reign at the top.

#8 2 months ago
  9. The_Red

Xbox One line-up is looking really good. This and Quantum Break are both rather promising NEW IPs. Unless Project Beast is indeed an exclusive PS4 game, I don’t think Sony can compete with MS in terms of exciting exclusives (They can show ten God of Wars and Uncharteds but won’t matter to people like me who are tied of these series).

#9 2 months ago
  10. polygem

this looks promising indeed. insomniac have a good feeling for weapon design. they make them feel fun. this one looks like they have focused on their strengths and that´s always a good thing.

#10 2 months ago
  11. bradk825

@DarkElfa What would he used for a weapon… Oh. Oh.. Damn.

@Dave Agreed!

#11 2 months ago
  12. BrokenSpline

Looks like a good romp. My only gripe is the flat flesh color of the enemies. It seems like no creativity went into the textures of them. Also it seems like the AI is completely stupid even dumber than early Ratchet and Clank enemies.

#12 2 months ago
  13. ManuOtaku

Looks like a mix of infamous, ratchet and clank, and saint rows, i like it, especially for the use of bright colors, and the always awasomeness of their weapons in their games, cannot wait for this game.

#13 2 months ago
  14. TheWulf

….

They’re just toned down Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal/Tools of Destruction weapons. I fail to see how that’s more crazy. They’re less colourful, they have less impact, the enjoyable ‘wow factor’ of them is gone. It’s like someone sucked all of the soul out of those weapons and then inserted them as zombie weapons in a game about zombies because zombies are always a sign of someone with a pioneer’s imagination. Really visionary stuff, right there.

This is going to fail so hard. It’s going to be too strange for the extroverts, and too boring for the introverts. I’m looking forward to it failing, because hopefully they’ll then redouble their efforts on a Ratchet & Clank game instead, even if it’s one with a smaller budget behind it.

#14 2 months ago
  15. TheWulf

Much more dumb.

In R&C 3, you had enemies who’d actually engage in at least somewhat tactical manoeuvres. They would actively try to avoid your fire. There would be ‘horde’ enemies that would be sent out, but only so that the game could distract you from the snipers they were teleporting in, or the gunship that just came around the corner, there.

In this, all of the enemies seem to be horde enemies. It seems less intelligent even than Left4Dead, and that’s saying something.

- Less intelligent AI.
    - Less varied enemies.
    - Less self-indulgently OTT weapons.
    - Less interesting environments.
    - Less bizarro-world craziness (it is still earth).
    - No Captain Qwark.

I just don’t see how they hope to appeal to fans of the eminently more interesting Ratchet & Clank series with this. I was put off instantly. I. Do. Not. Want. Zombies. In. My. Games. If a game has zombies in it, I instantly strike it off as a worthless pile of garbage meant to appeal to extroverts who want the same kind of thing over and over, over and over, over and over, ad fucking nauseum.

What happened to you, Insomniac?

#15 2 months ago
  16. JewyMcJew

@Luciferous I was thinking the same thing… I don’t want to buy an xbox but I might have to!

#16 2 months ago