Another E3, another possibility for an Agent reveal

Saturday, 24th May 2014 15:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Agent was announced in July 2007 for PlayStation 3 and we haven’t really heard much on it since then. Other than popping up on resumes and trademark filings, news on the game runs from being scarce to nothing whatsoever.

agent logo

Cue a May 2014 trademark renewal from Take-Two. Indeed, it is standard industry practice to renew trademarks, so this isn’t groundbreaking news. But it still provides a bit of hope as it were.

Over on Rockstar’s website, it still lists the game as “coming soon” but how soon is soon? And surely, if the game has been binned – which doesn’t seem to be the case – surely the listing and website would be culled from existence.

Agent first began life as a prototype for PS2 and Xbox at Rockstar San Diego in 2003 and was subsequently put hold before being revealed once more as a PS3 exclusive.

The game was first described as “a paranoid journey into the world of counter-intelligence, espionage and political assassinations” during the height of the Cold War circa late 1970′s. Whether this is still the case is unknown.

During Take-Two’s financial call to investors earlier this month, it was announced Rockstar has a current-generation game planned for release by the end of March 2015.

While Agent isn’t technically a ‘new’ game, there’s the slight probability it could be the current-gen game in the works. Whether Agent will still release on PS3, maybe conjointly with PS4 remains to be seen. It may even no longer be a Sony exclusive.

We’ll just have to continue crossing our fingers and keeping hope alive.

1. Legendaryboss

I’m calling it Agent won’t be at E3, safe bet i know ;) However, Rockstar need to reveal that Pre-March-2015 project they are working on, so it has happen when we least expect it.

And remember Rockstar is far more than their Scottish based team.

#1 4 months ago
  2. DeVitowned

Agent is now an XBOX One exclusive.

#2 4 months ago
  3. SlayerGT

@Legendaryboss My money is on a GTAV for PS4 and XBOne. Released in month that best suits Take Two’s financials.

#3 4 months ago
  4. gomersoul

I personally am hoping that they announce gtav for ps4, xbone and pc… September release. I hope agent is released one day but it would have to be something special after all this time, don’t duke nukem the game please rockstar. They are not incapable of making a crap game despite the general consensus.

#4 4 months ago
  5. DeVitowned

@SlayerGT

Hope so. I have held off just to have GTA V on PS4.

#5 4 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Next gen consoles wouldn’t even be able to handle GTAV at 1080p/60fps, so give us a PC release announcement allready.

#6 4 months ago
  7. aaron_avelino

I’m not expecting any Agent in this year’s E3 but I am positively hoping that this game will be released one day. Honestly I’d rather have Agent, which is a new IP, to be that March 2015 game instead of a sequel to RDR. Don’t get me wrong, I love RDR I just want Rockstar to exercise their creativity more by making a new IP like Agent.

#7 4 months ago
  8. SlayerGT

@DeVitowned I almost finished it then the MP hit and I got hooked into that. So I’d like to play it again and finish it. I’d like to have the share button for it. I’ve had so many hilarious moments I wish I could have recorded :-) we’ll see.

#8 4 months ago
  9. Rockstar Vienna

@SlayerGT

Well i have to disagree. Take Two’s financial oulook…
    First quarter (April 1st 2014 – June 30th 2014) – $120 to $135 Million
    Fiscal 2015 (April 1st 2014 – March 31st 2015) – $ 1,35 to $1,45 Billion

“We expect Rockstar to account for at least 45% of this year’s revenue” So between $607 and $652 Million. The 45% also includes catalog sales from the already released games of course. So probably a few million GTA V copies plus earnings through Shark Cards and the singleplayer DLC.

Rockstar made 1,98 Billion with GTA V. Now the question is how much money they’ll make with GTA till March 2015. Imo not that much! Not more than 200 Million if you ask me. The biggest hype is over. The DLC won’t cost a fortune. The secret game will represent the biggest piece of the Rockstar cake imo. So I don’t think the game for the new generation is just the PS4/XOne version of GTA V.

Red Dead 3, Agent, Bully 2 etc… Bigger than a “new gen GTA V” saleswise imo. Zelnick also said “Rockstar Games is hard at work on their upcoming lineup, and we’re excited about what they have in store for the new generation of systems this fiscal year.” This sounds more like a new ip or at least a sequel on it’s way. On the other hand, GTA V on new gen systems would be easy money.

But well, that’s just my wild guess. Don’t think it’s Agent, a new Bully or Midnight Club, nor a L.A. Noire 2 of course. My money’s on the next Red Dead. GTA V would be awesome too, but i’d prefer a new game.

#9 4 months ago
  10. Homer2014

it was announced at E3 2009, not 2007

#10 4 months ago
  11. Reddpayn

No need for a nextgen/pc gtav. 33 million people play it already on the ps3/x360, and the amount is still growing.
    Im hoping for agent or rdr2.

#11 4 months ago
  12. Legendaryboss

That is not going to deter them.

Technically you’re correct, but a “new franchise by Rockstar” was announced in 2007. Oh its the wording…

#12 4 months ago
  13. SlayerGT

@Rockstar Vienna I hear you, good points. From your list I’d say Agent only if it’s still Sony exclusive, or Red Dead maybe. Rockstar typically announces their games one year out. Which is why I’m assuming the quick cash-in GTAV. But another E3 announcement of Agent at Sonys conference would explain why we haven’t heard anything. You know Rockstar doesn’t go to E3. And if it’s Red Dead I’d bet it gets delayed till fall of 15. Just my predictions. I’m excited any way you slice it. Rockstar is tied with Polyphony for my favorite dev.

#13 4 months ago
  14. Rockstar Vienna

@SlayerGT

Agreed! Rockstar is also my favourite dev. Who’d have thought!? ^^ I doubt that Agent is still a PS exclusive title tbh (If the game’s still in development of course). And you could be right about the delay. Rockstar delayed almost every game in the past so the new title could come out in fiscal 16, i agree!

#14 4 months ago
  15. Stephany Nunneley

@Homer2014 No it was announced by Sony in 2007 (like LB said) on the PlayStation Blog. It was then made “official” at Sony’s press event at E3 in 2009.

#15 4 months ago
  16. sb319

Nope, Agent was first announced in 2009. The announcement from 2007 did not mention anything specific.

#16 4 months ago
  17. SlayerGT

@Rockstar Vienna I feel like they set a date to satisfy Take Two. And when preorders hit a threshold they go to em, “look, we’ll sell enough to warrant a delay..give us a few months.” Happens every time. There’s no other reason to even announce a date. They could wait till a game gold to say something and it’d still sell crazy.

#17 4 months ago
  18. SlayerGT

@SlayerGT goes gold* #efineditbutton ;-)

#18 4 months ago
  19. Rockstar Vienna

@SlayerGT

Yes, they need to keep shareholders happy! :D

#19 4 months ago
  20. fihar

You know what, considering that Veronica Mars is finally a thing again, I believe anything’s possible.

So yeah, Agent is going to be shown on E3.

#20 4 months ago
  21. Stephany Nunneley

@sb319 I remember specifically writing about it in 2007 after Sony said it was working with R* on an exclusive. I know it was 2007 because I left FileFront in 2008 to work at 1Up before moving here in 2009. Everyone knew what it was, there was no denying it. Yes, they may not have ‘said the name’ but everyone and their pimply bits knew what it was. God. I still remember the arguments over who would write what. Makes me want to start drinking heavily again.

#21 4 months ago
  22. antraxsuicide

Unless this game has just been totally put on hold for some time, it’s already been cancelled. You can’t spend that much on the development of a game unless it’s going for tens of millions of units to be moved near launch. Agent (and most titles, to be honest) just can’t do that.

So either it’s cancelled, or no one’s worked on it for a few years. Which means it would probably suck.

#22 4 months ago
  23. El_MUERkO

What I’d like to see from Rockstar at E3…

#23 4 months ago
  24. BrokenSpline

“Agent announced for PS3 with Next-Gen and PC release to follow along with GTV and Red Dead Redemption Next-Gen and PC releases.”

Good luck with that. THey will be going full throttle on Current gen(Xbox One and Ps4).

Also Agent will not be an exclusive. You can bet on that.

#24 4 months ago
  25. sb319

Agent definitely won’t be at E3 – apparently it was shelved back in late 2009 and has seen no further development since.

#25 4 months ago
  26. Keljo85

Won’t happen just give up already.

#26 4 months ago
  27. tmac2011

isnt rockstar never at E3 too cool for E3

#27 4 months ago
  28. Druined

I wait for E3 to see this all awesome game which they want to show.

#28 4 months ago