Star Wars: Attack Squadrons cancelled for “other Star Wars game experiences”

Friday, 23rd May 2014 21:07 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, the free-to-play PC flight combat title from Area 52 Games, has been cancelled by Disney.

577297_598309830236002_1561378947_n

The game went into beta back in January of this year, and today, its cancellation was announced on Facebook and the official website.

“After much consideration, we have decided to cease development,” reads the notice, “so that we can focus on other Star Wars game experiences.”

Announced back in December 2013, the game allowed up to 16-players to fight it out in space using spaceships from the Star Wars franchise.

It contained three competitive modes: Free For All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.

Thanks, CVG.

1. dazedonthemoon

Le sigh. Disney is going to destroy Star Wars… I can feel it.

#1 2 months ago
  2. GrimRita

To be honest, I couldnt see where they could make money. And the only way they could, would be from pay to win. Plus, SWTOR version of this – Galactic Starfighter which had MTs for customsation of almost everything – bombed.

#2 2 months ago
  3. Obernox

Will we ever see a Republic Commando 2? :(

#3 2 months ago
  4. Archangel470

#3

I really hope we do. That game is one of my favourite FPS games ever. They still need to resolve Sev’s fate!

#4 2 months ago
  5. Doppleganger

Wow if this was going to be anything like the rouge squadron I’m really pissed.

#5 2 months ago
  6. SinfulKnight

I want to believe they know what they are doing so Micky doesn’t say to me “I find your lack of faith disturbing ha-ha”

#6 2 months ago
  7. wolfenjosh

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!

#7 2 months ago
  8. Edo

@dazedonthemoon
    Indeed….I have a bad feeling about this.

#8 2 months ago
  9. Talkar

@GrimRita How did it bomb?

#9 2 months ago
  10. Darkfield

Disney, the most hated company since 2014!

PS: They killed expanded universe, they are killing Star Wars games and soon they will start killing the fans.

#10 2 months ago
  11. TheWulf

Cancelled to create more cheap mobile games, no doubt! That’s all Disney seems interested in, lately. That and the utterly shit Infinity franchise, which has about as much imagination as a lobotomised George Bush clone.

I read recently that Disney no longer wants to have any truck with creative worth, instead they’re all about buying up IPs and creating toys and cheap products based upon those IPs to keep the money flowing. In other words — exploitation. The corruption of Iger runs deep, very deep. They’re not really invested in art or wonders any more, they’re just using marketing to create things that people want to buy.

Disney is now a schlock company. They churn out crap on a massive scale to be consumed by people who care more about a brand than about anything else. It’s a sad thing to watch. And everything they’ve bought has now been pretty much turned into marketing material to help them sell more schlocky crap. Marvel, LucasFilm, LucasArts… what a sorry state of affairs.

I really think we need a new Disney at this point, one that’s about creating fun, family animated movies, because the dessicated husk of a thing being piloted by soulless marketers is not the Disney I once knew.

But yes. This doesn’t surprise me.

Disney cancels a thing, to reallocate resources to make more schlocky things, because humans are impulsive, unintelligent herd animals who’ll buy anything if it has the right name attached to it!

This is why I hate brands, brands play into instinctive mentalities that are unhealthy for us as a whole. This is why I prefer insightful, introspective people who avoid these big brands like the plague. I enjoy being a free thinking individual, rather than being the modern day equivalent of a Borg drone.

Still, people will buy their schlock, Disney will buy more IPs and continue to be an IP holding company. Disney will continue to hold hostage these IPs that were once loved by different groups of people, never really making anything genuinely worthwhile with them ever again, instead opting to create exploitative schlock.

And no one’s really going to care.

Because these days, we’re all too damn thick to care.

#11 2 months ago
  12. TheWulf

It doesn’t surprise you. The reason they were ‘editing’ the expanded Universe was to remove anything that wasn’t marketable and create a much stronger, streamlined marketable presence from what was left over. If you’re looking at what Disney is doing currently, that’s pretty much it. They’re doing exactly the same thing with Marvel as well. It’s just going to turn into Power Rangers, they’ll only create material as long adverts to sell shit.

This is why I don’t have any faith that anything coming out of Disney is actually ever going to be any good again. They killed Marvel, they killed Star Wars, and I’m just waiting to see what IP they buy and kill next. Considering that these are childhood memories they’re so mercilessly and callously brutalising, here, I just don’t see how anyone could like them any more.

But… people are ridiculously unaware herd animals, little more than Borg drones.

The brand says BUY THINGS. The herd obeys.

#12 2 months ago
  13. TheWulf

Going to? They already have, it’s a given. Just look at Marvel for an example of how far south this is all going to go.

For what it’s worth… even though I’m not a Star Wars fan, this is shit. Not the shit. Just shit. I watched this happen to Star Trek… a show that was once about exploration, discovery, open-mindedness, and fun (even joyfully impossible) science-fantasy, reduced to just another war-based sci-fi. And was that necessary? There’s all ready Star Wars… so I don’t get it. Star Trek could have remained what it was, for romanticists who’re more about what The Next Generation and Voyager had to offer.

So this is shit. As I said, it’s not for me, but I can understand your pain. Things being reduced to easily marketable bullshit so that the slack-jawed herd can consume them without any effort, and then buy billions of monetary units worth of plastic crap.

I just really feel that this world, this species, just isn’t for me. I disagree vehemently with so much of what’s going on, and by comparison, most people seem to be sleepwalking through it. It’s frustrating, infuriating, and I hate it. I’m actually proud of sounding old, because in my day, we actually treated the stuff people made with respect. It wasn’t a brand to be milked until it dies, it was something real that people were passionate about.

I remember the Star Trek fanbase from way back when, what a great group of people they were. But now that’s been diluted by slack-jawed yokels whose exposure to Star Trek is limited to the incredibly awful new films.

Even Star Wars is going that way, because in fairness, the expanded Universe was intelligent. Much more so than the films, that’s for sure. That’s the only part I attributed any worth to, because some of the books I actually came close to liking, even though it’s not my thing. But Disney is now butchering that.

Not stupid enough. Not warlike enough. More WAR! More STUPID!

Is it just my perception or is humanity collectively becoming more idiotic? I mean, how can I not feel that way? Everything used to feel more intelligent and progressive, but now, all the regressive attitudes are coming back out, companies are so exploitative, and no one really gives a damn.

It’s like pissing into the wind, talking about it.

I just miss the mid ’90s to early ’00s, things felt so progressive then, so optimistic, so hopeful. Strong women, acceptance of gay people, acceptance of ethnic minorities… and now it’s all gone to shit.

#13 2 months ago
  14. GrimRita

@ hardly anyone plays it.

#14 2 months ago
  15. sebastien rivas

@TheWulf

Take it easy bud, that matter is long gone off our hand if it ever was anyway.

Was selling to Disney the smartest move, certainly not. Although I know Disney must end with a happy ending or a crying tragedy over a kid’s fate, I still would not mind watching an hour and half of Ewok or treek agile and dexterous clownesque act ending with a big Weeeeeeeee and then the famous ewok or treek song from Episode VI.
    Prep