Epic teases new game that will “push next generation graphics,” plus more Unreal Engine 4 titles

Thursday, 24th April 2014 10:49 GMT By Dave Cook

Epic Games has bounced back from a period of relative quiet with a string of new Fortnite reveals, and its VR title Couch Knights. However, studio co-founder Tim Sweeney has teased another “high end” game that will “push next generation graphics.”

infiltrator artwork -epic games

Speaking with Edge, Sweeney said of the game, “It’s going to push next generation graphics as you’d always expect Epic to do.”

“There’s a lot [of Unreal Engine 4 games] on the way and a large number of them haven’t been announced,” he went on. “You’ll see lots of triple-A stuff coming out over time.”

As for the nature of said games, Sweeney suggested that they may not be triple-a experiences as we know them, saying “The industry’s changing. This generation it seems like there are about a third of the number of triple-A titles in development across the industry as there was last time around – and each one seems to have about three times the budget of the previous generation. I think we’re heading towards a future where triple-A is the minority.”

But what’s the big new Epic game? The smart money’s on a title based on the company’s Infiltrator and Samaritan tech demos, as suggested by this batch of GDC presentation slides.

What do you think?

Via OXM.

1. Erthazus

These guys will make a true Next gen title with excellent shooting mechanics. There is no better dev when it comes to FPS/TPS. Period.

#1 3 months ago
  2. Dragon

Just checked that Fortnite is F2P now. Will the new game follow suit?

#2 3 months ago
  3. Hobbilis

I hope they make a game on the Infiltrator template we’ve seen. It seems interesting enough.

#3 3 months ago
  4. Mike W

@Erthazus

I can never tell if you’re serious or kidding. :-|

In any case, that’s subjective what you’re saying.

#4 3 months ago
  5. Homer2014

@Dragon fortnite was always f2p pc exclusive

#5 3 months ago
  6. Mike W

@Dragon

We need new IPs badly, there’s so many freaking Halos, Gears of War, God of Wars, etc that one man can take.

#6 3 months ago
  7. Gheritt White

@Mike W Erthazus has no sense of humour whatsoever, so rest assured he meant that literally.

#7 3 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

As I mostly play AAA games, I am not all that excited about FTP, most of the indie, and smaller episodic stuff. While I understand where he is coming from, especially as a engine maker, I can’t see non AAA being the games everyone clamors for. The games that excite and impress the most are the big titles 90 percent of the time, I can’t see the industry walking away from that model any time soon.

I am very excited to see this new game (hoping its based on Samaritan), i’m sure we finally see it at E3 or sooner.

#8 3 months ago
  9. dazedonthemoon

@fearmonkey
    I’m the same. It saddens me that AAA games are becoming the minority. I want more experiences worth my $60.

#9 3 months ago