Oculus co-founder Palmer Luckey received death threats over Facebook deal

Monday, 31st March 2014 18:28 GMT By Sherif Saed

Oculus Rift co-founder Palmer Luckey said that he, and his family have revived death threats following signing the Facebook deal.

palmer-luckey-oculus-rift-

“We expected a negative reaction from people in the short term, we did not expect to be getting so many death threats and harassing phone calls that extended to our families,” said Luckey on Reddit.

“We know we will prove ourselves with actions and not words, but that kind of shit is unwarranted, especially since it is impacting people who have nothing to do with Oculus,” he added.

Developers receiving death threats from fans over controversial decisions are unfortunately nothing new for the industry. Earlier this year Flappy Bird creator Dong Nguyen received death threats after removing his game from the app store, before that developers of Black Ops 2 also received similar threats over balance changes to the game, even Ninja Theory received them when it attempted rebooting the Devil May Cry franchise.

The reactions following Facebook’s acquisition of Oculus went from really positive, to incredibly negative.

Thanks, PCGamesN.

1. Panthro

What the fuck is wrong with people these days.

I am all about freedom of speech, and people can say whatever they like to there friends in person, on forums and wherever else but when it comes to harassing someone and there family over something so trivial as a piece of hardware I honestly believe they should face some type of punishment.

#1 9 months ago
  2. jonnymelamet

@Panthro I completely agree with you here mate.

At the end of the day, the Oculus Rift is just a screen. A console if just electronics.

There are more important thing in like than these material possessions. Maybe it is time the internet extremists learn what these things are.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Panthro

I don’t agree with the Facebook acquisition but I am only being skeptical since I don’t like using it but it doesn’t mean it is destined for failure right out of the gates, as shit as Facebook is we all really have no idea of Mark Zuckerberg’s ‘bad’ intentions for the device.
    He could be into gaming even more than we are, we just don’t know.

People are frightened about Facebook owning a virtual reality device but they don’t care about buying hardware from Microsoft?… Because in my opinion they are just as greedy as the next corporation, possibly even worse.

#3 9 months ago
  4. Panthro

@jonnymelamet

Some people are stupid, and those people need to be taught that they can’t harass whoever they like over something so trivial otherwise it will just carry on and possibly get worse.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Gheritt White

I bet those came from Salarta and TheWulf, seems exactly the type of thing they’d do.

#5 9 months ago
  6. fearmonkey

Well remember those idiots that posted death threats and “I hope you die” tweets because of changes to guns in COD? It doesnt surprise me at all.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Michael Ireland

@Gheritt White No, it really doesn’t.

#7 9 months ago
  8. infernalism

@Michael Ireland
    Could you imagine what a death threat written by TheWulf would look like though? I think it would have to be comprised in book form, sprinkled with 99.99% of 50% accurate, 50% bullshit social commentary, with a short sentence in the middle like “I hope you die, sir”.

#8 9 months ago
  9. salarta

At this point, anyone that does anything on the internet should expect to receive death threats.

Important clarification: I am NOT saying people deserve them, or that it’s in any way appropriate for people to send them (it’s not). I am saying people need to be prepared for them.

The internet is full of anonymous assholes. The Oculus guys may deserve criticism and negative perception of them for what they’ve done, but hell no to death threats. That’s going way, way too far, and nobody deserves that.

It’s even worse when it extends to family. The family is not the cause of frustration. Targeting them is asinine, immature and soulless. And more importantly, it makes a damn good reason for ignoring anything the people making such death threats have to say on the matter. Intelligent, sensible people don’t threaten to murder someone for saying or doing something they don’t like.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Dragon

Hey Palmer, do you really think this kind of guy can kill you?

@infernalism,
    Maybe, it definitely isn’t something Palmer read, since it would have gone straight to spam in his e-mail.

#10 9 months ago
  11. salarta

@Gheritt White Hooray! In a few short years, I went from people on the internets giving me death threats, to people on the internets claiming I’d be the kind of soulless bastard that gives them out. Really, “thanks” for that.

@Dragon Yes, that kind of guy could still kill someone if he was inclined. Don’t underestimate the damage a person could do if they were serious.

#11 9 months ago
  12. Fin

Oculus should be the worst company in America, not EA.

#12 9 months ago
  13. lookingglass

The reactions actually went from naive idiocy to intelligent pragmatism.

So many internet denizens simply lack a basic understanding of the real world.

#13 9 months ago
  14. TheWulf

Gamers have sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies due to a lack of socialising, thus turning into not particularly nice and likeable people. News at 11!

The same thing happened with BioWare and Mass Effect 3′s ending, though there was something of a chorus of support for the death threats there, since those poor gamers who’d bought a product were so, so wronged. And honestly, I don’t even feel angry at Luckey, I still think he was sheistered, so I feel pity and sorriness for him more than anything else.

But no, they’re the most evil people on the earth because they were tricked, and they deserve to die. Fuck. This is why I have such a low opinion of people who play games.

#14 9 months ago
  15. TheWulf

You are so fucked in the head, it’s not even funny. What do you see when you look in the mirror each morning? You’re an insecure sociopath who feels jealous of more insightful and intelligent person, who has to lash out at them.

What did salarta ever do? And all I did was voice sadness and pity for Luckey you twisted up freak. You’re just… I don’t even… How do you even get that fucked in the head? How do you even get that screwed up?

Sigh.

Gamers display sociopathic/psychopathic tendencies. News at 11.

#15 9 months ago
  16. TheWulf

Or persons, rather.

But yes, I can understand people lashing out at me because I call them on their twisted, sociopathic, fucekd-in-the-head shit. But what did salarta do? That’s why I’m angry, I guess. If it were just me, I could have just laughed it off and laughed at how incredibly petty and worthless a person #5 is.

But salarta?

Really #5, fuck you.

#16 9 months ago
  17. TheWulf

And this bothers me because all gamers like #5 do is reassert my beliefs that humanity is separated by a genetic divide. Where on the one side you have herd animals who’re prone to sociopathy (no individual elements to care about), psychopathy, and violent responses to unexpected results (just like sports fans); and on the other you have pack animals, who’re made up of creative, emotionally intelligent people who’re actually self aware enough to have a thought of their own. So I just feel reassured that people like #5 are insecure herd animals, driven to sociopathy by their own feelings of inadequacy.

And pack animals, like myself, get insulted and called every name under the sun by people too unintelligent to realise what the meanings of those words are, or the weight of the accusations they make. Because, really, you have to be a totally fucked up sociopath to do what #5 did. That’s the first thing on VG24/7 I’d call a bannable offence.

You’re a brainless, witless sheep of a thing, #5. I won’t attribute you with more than a number because you don’t deserve it. You’re a pathetic, bile-filled, pissant of a creature with no personal drives or ambitions beyond obeying the herd, and attacking anything that might be a threat to your herd.

Oh no, individuals, a threat to the herd! Let’s label them with things and show them how completely pathetic we are!

Because, honestly. All this does is reinforce over and over how I feel about people. And especially how I feel about herds. Because, yeah, a person happens to be insightful and intelligent, you’re scared by that, so I’d totally send death threats to a person I sympathise with. You complete lackwit. I mean, do you even think about what you’re saying? Have you ever considered a word you’ve ever said beyond just aping herdwords?

People like you infuriate me, because you’re so completely vile and pointless. You serve no purpose on this planet whatsoever, other than to consume. You’re no better than a virus. You just consume, replicate, and attempt to destroy any perceived threats to your survival.

So, yeah. I feel completely justified in my views.

#17 9 months ago
  18. TheWulf

And the reason I took to salarta?

I don’t always agree with salarta, but salarta possesses a rare thing: insight. Herd animals just copy what others say, they see the herd attacking someone, so they just say the most obvious thing. “Oh, this is a bad thing. Hm. I’ll accuse a threat to the herd with this! I don’t know what it means, but hey, that doesn’t matter!

That’s why I don’t like dull-minded herd animals, because they never actually think or consider their actions — they don’t have basic human elements like empathy, guilt, and emotional intelligence. They just eat, sleep, reproduce, and attack. That’s all they do. So if I see a person just reproducing the words of another, I’m not going to see that as being particularly insightful.

Salarta, on the other hand, has always made me stop to wonder if I’m wrong because he (or she?) is capable of unique opinions and perspectives which I hadn’t considered before. Insight. Insight fills in the gaps, because it comes from personal views held by a person. A herd animal has no personal views, they just repeat what they’ve heard, like automatons. They have no capability for insight, they don’t have the intelligence for that.

So I enjoy insightful people, they’re a rare joy.

Now, isn’t it interesting that such an insightful person was attacked by the herdbeast? I’m sorry, but if you herdsters are just going to keep reaffirming my world view, it’s never going to change. Salarta strikes me as more of a pack animal than a herdster, and as such, a provider of new and original thought. I’ve come to value what salarta has to say. But apparently the herd sees these new and original thoughts as strange and weird, they’re a threat, they’re not of the herd.

I’m so glad I’m not just a cud-chewing herd animal. If I were, I’d be a cancerous lesion that despised invention, innovation, and insight. Some of the most important things humanity has to offer.

So, yeah. I distinguish between herd and pack. And some people I judge as wanting because they’re herd.

When you see the completely unintelligent, low-functioning sociopathy of #5, it’s hard not to agree with my position unless you also want to throw accusations of death threats around.

#18 9 months ago
  19. Dragon

@salarta,
    Problem is that, even if he were serious, he needs his momma just to go to the toilet, and I assume his momma is more… sane than him.

Also, looks like someone wrote a PhD thesis here. Unfortunately,

#19 9 months ago
  20. Matt27

his family have received*

#20 9 months ago
  21. Gheritt White

@7: Does too. :-P

#21 9 months ago
  22. YoungZer0

Anyone else thinks that TheWulf sounds like some sort of psychopath with his herd analogy?

#22 9 months ago