Minecraft Oculus was going to be free, Notch responds to CliffyB’s defence of Facebook deal

Friday, 28th March 2014 10:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Minecraft creator Markus ‘Notch’ Persson has responded to a heated blog post from Cliff Bleszinski writen in defence of Facebook’s acquisition of Oculus VR. It follows Persson’s decision to cancel the Oculus version of his popular creation title.

I also penned a blog on the matter, stressing that we don’t yet know the full details of the deal, and why Facebook’s cash injection is a good thing for the VR start-up.

“Your device is only as good as the store and community around it,” Bleszinski said in his post, “if users can’t say shut up and take my money, if developers can’t post their work then the device will ultimately flounder. Facebook can assist with this sort of thing, as well as having a multi billion user reach.”

On Notch’s decision, the former Gears of War designer added, “p.s. Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home. It’s a bratty and petty move and it saddens me greatly.”

Persson took to Twitter to refute Bleszinski’s statement:

On the nature of the Minecraft Oculus project, he added:

The pair have since cooled their jets and are most likely the best of friends again. Maybe.

Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey also called out Persson’s decision however, stating, “He had the Rift for a year and had not even tried the Minecraft mod (which is really good), much less done any exploration work. I think Notch is a super cool guy, but it is really easy to ‘cancel’ a project that was never started as an out.”

Responding to Luckey’s claim on Kotaku, Notch said that he had built a few Oculus Rift prototypes and that Mojang was working on the game proper, which he confirmed would have been called Minecraft VR Edition.

Via Eurogamer.

1. jmg24bad

Cliffy bitch defends stupid shit all the time. He is like a hipster of the industry when it comes to controversial game news.

#1 7 months ago
  2. CharlesLupula

Wow. Douche Huge defending a faceless corporation gobbling up creativity? That’s so unlike Cliffy B.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Fin

Notch’s too big for his boots. He is being pouty and petty for sure.

#3 7 months ago
  4. DoubleM

Let’s say I know a nun whose father was a drug dealer, but she used all her father’s wealth to promote religion and God. I’m pretty sure to Notch she’s a “BITCH WHO’S USING DEVIL’S MONEY. I HATE HER, I HATE HER. GET AWAY FROM ME.”

God, he’s acting like a kid. Just look at him, he even looks like a Brony.

#4 7 months ago
  5. mistermogul

““p.s. Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home”

Surely cancelling is solely his prerogative isn’t it CliffyB and er, like, nothing to do with you?

#5 7 months ago
  6. MidlifeAxe

Minecraft is his product and he can do what he wants with it. If he doesn’t like Facebook for whatever reason (I personally agree with his POV), he has the full right not to release a game on a platform owned by them.

#6 7 months ago
  7. eTitan

Notch is, has been and always will be an immature bastard in the gaming industry. He’s unprofessional on the highest of levels, I love minecraft and I’ve played it countless of hours.

But him making Minecraft doesn’t give him a free pass to say and do stupid shit all the time. Minecraft was a lucky shot for him. He has no idea about game design otherwise and his attitude towards the market and other studios is easily comparable to that of a child.

#7 7 months ago
  8. infernalism

@DoubleM
    Well, I fail to see how “promoting religion and god” is a universally good thing, which you try to mock. A reasonable argument can be made (Dawking and Maher do it all the time), that religion as a whole can be considered dangerous, as as such, money devoted to such a cause, no matter where they came from, should not automatically be considered a good and selfless investment.

If that was not your point, and you could say that money could be spent for, say, underpriviledged children around the world, or to prevent world hunger, then your argument is fine, even if you can only speculate, what mr. Persson would do in such a situation.

I for one think, that money spent to promote such things is wasted, and so do a lot of people. That doesn’t make anyone right, or wrong, anyone has the right to do whatever they want with their money and believe whatever they want to belive in this world, and I’m not here to start a religeus debate. It’s just that there is a clear difference of opinion on such matters, and mr. Persson wouldn’t be axiomatically “wrong” to put himself on the non-religeous side of things.

#8 7 months ago
  9. infernalism

@infernalism
    Dawkins of course, we need that edit button back…

#9 7 months ago
  10. Arcnail

I’m pretty sure Notch is allowed to not like Facebook. I know quite a few people that don’t it. Thats their choice.

I think this Cliff guy is the acting like the pouty kid here, because he knows he just lost a really big means to promote / sell this thing.

#10 7 months ago
  11. Kreion

@eTitan

I agree that he is unprofessional and that has has caused numerous issues within the gamin community because of this. However in this case he is entirely justified in saying “I don’t like what’s going on here, my product won’t be on this system now”. It’s his game and he can do what he likes with it – it’s already on every other system so it’s not like anyone’s going to be missing out.

If he were commenting on another’s game I’d be more inclined to agree with you, but at this point he’s entirely within his rights as a creator. If anyone it’s Cliffy B whose out of line by commenting on what other people do with their products – he has no right to say when and where someone else’s game should be released.

#11 7 months ago
  12. Michael Ireland

Why exactly is it petty to not support an organisation whose ideas you don’t agree with?

#12 7 months ago
  13. salarta

I like how the Oculus VR guys, mainly Luckey, are starting to show their true colors in light of getting due criticism for selling out. “Man, I know Notch threw a lot more money at us than the average person, but it must’ve been easy for him to walk away when he didn’t do anything.”

If anything, this makes the Oculus guys look even more sinister. I know the INTENDED statement is that Notch wasn’t as committed as he could’ve been, but the ACTUAL message I get is that the Oculus guys are counting on many of their developers having no other choice but to continue supporting Oculus because they already sunk too many resources into supporting a group they thought would have more integrity.

Also, has been already said by others, it’s fucking stupid to say someone’s being a “pouty kid” for doing what they think is right. “You decided you don’t want to buy the car I’m selling because I changed the terms of our agreement? You’re just being a pouty kid! If you weren’t a pouty kid, you’d still buy it no matter what I change. By the way, I’ve decided you’re now required to let me bang your wife if you buy my car. Don’t be such a pouty kid about it! The car’s totally worth it.”

#13 7 months ago
  14. fearmonkey

Cliffy should learn to keep his mouth shut…. He thinks he is this big celeb or something. He is a well known game designer who will make a good amount of money from the FB deal as he was a investor. Well good for him, but what one man does with his own games and property is his decision, and cliffy shouldnt be calling out anyone.

I still remember your defense of MS’s DRM cliffy, your not the voice of the masses, your the voice of the corporation.

#14 7 months ago
  15. gameoholic007

I respect his decision, I would have done the same. Cliffy B is a Dbag, nuff said there.

#15 7 months ago
  16. Tormenter

Go Notch

I’m entirely behind you on this,

The facebook acquisition of this tech is the worst possible outcome to this affair.. Luckey and chums are complete assbag douches for selling the company, tech and ip without actually having made a comercial product yet.. THEY were the ones who were funded.. not fucking facebok.. I wonder how many people would have chipped in if it had been advertised by FB in the first place.

This has gone from day one uber purchase.. to wouldn’t touch it if I got it for free.

As for the rest of this thread where there are suddenly a whole lot of people supporting the FB purchases… I don’t know you.. I’ve never seen your nicks on this site before which just makes me think that you are shills.

FUCK this whole turn of affairs.

#16 7 months ago
  17. DarkElfa

@Tormenter Hey, I don’t like Facebook either, but I wouldn’t screw over my user base to please my own ego and business politics.

Sure, it’s his property and he can do what he wants with it, blah, fuckity blah blah, heard all that shit before. I can shit in my yard but it still makes me a gross, uncivilized mother fucker.

Having the right to do a thing does not make that thing right.

#17 7 months ago
  18. salarta

@Tormenter This reminds me that someone on the Oculus subreddit caught pro-Facebook accounts as blatantly being people working for Facebook or Oculus (most likely Facebook) to try to defend the acquisition and make it look like animosity toward the deal isn’t as negative as it really is.

I can’t find the specific post again, whether I’m choosing bad search terms or it got deleted I don’t know, but the user even had screencaps. The first picture showed three comments made by one person, which were later deleted. The second picture showed those exact same comments, word for word, by supposedly three different people.

#18 7 months ago
  19. Tormenter

@DarkElfa

He has EVERY RIGHT to do this.. and screw everyone else.. In fact if this was up to ME, I would update my T&C to point blankly state that ‘my’ Minecraft would be BANNED from the FB OC platform ENTIRELY and ANYONE seeking to port it would be PROSECTUTED TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW… but that’s just me.

Think of it as his terms and conditions… I’m glad he has the balls to stand up for what he believes in, rather than give way, because customers… In fact this makes me like him even more.

This world needs more people willing to stand up and be counted, instead of this constant capitulation because $$$$$$$.

#19 7 months ago
  20. Tormenter

@salarta

I’d even go as far as to say that they are actuallly being paid by FB to spread this kind of thing they have the money and it’s been done before.

This news isn’t as popular as is being made out, I think A LOT of people are upset about this.. but per usual the common man is drowned out by the ability to buy people’s opinions.

I hope OC dies a pox-ridden, apoplectic death.

#20 7 months ago
  21. kisame

if im not mistaking Cliffy B supported Microsoft on the DRM decision at that time lol so pretty much that should say it all for that guy

#21 7 months ago
  22. DarkElfa

@Tormenter Riiiiight, and just screw the millions of people that have supported his fedora wearing ass and gave him the opportunity to be important enough to be in a position to do this.

Like I said, having the right isn’t the same as being right. Nobody was asking him to approve of Facebook, just to let them be able to play Minecraft in VR.

I’ll say this, as long as he works with another company, say, Valve even on making Minecraft work with their VR, then I’m fine I guess, but I don’t like this bullshit anymore than when my Libertarian ass of a father won’t see a movie because it has what he sees as a pro-environmental “liberal” message.

He isn’t sticking it to Facebook with this move, he’s sticking it to the Minecraft fans, Facebook could give a fuck either way, they didn’t buy Oculus to grab them a “piece of the Notch”.

#22 7 months ago
  23. Tormenter

@DarkElfa

You’re an idiot.

You honestly think that he shouldn’t be able to stand up for what he thinks is the right thing.. because other people.

Yes.. you ARE an idiot, and your type of thinking leads nowhere except to an even bigger shit mire of a planet… You seriously have to cultivate a better pov.

#23 7 months ago
  24. _LarZen_

Notch comes of as a immature prick. To bad his one game is so great or I would put him on my shit list.

#24 7 months ago
  25. salarta

@DarkElfa Nah, he’s sticking it to Facebook.

His pulling out of Oculus is the most high-profile of cases, because he’s an established developer with a game that’s been a huge success to where people know he was Minecraft’s creator. However, it’s not the only case. There are plenty of developers that just got screwed by the Oculus Rift team without so much as a thought given to the people that got Oculus where they are in the first place. Nearly all of those developers either literally can’t drop what they’re doing with Oculus no matter how much they want to do so because they already poured too many resources into supporting Oculus, or can do so but have nowhere near the power that Notch does.

Notch may be speaking for himself here, but in reality, he’s not. In speaking for himself, in reality he’s speaking for every single developer that hated this change but can’t do anything tangible.

So while you’re complaining about how Notch isn’t making anything for the Oculus Rift because he has principles and sticks by them (unlike the Oculus team), anyone that just got screwed over and openly insulted by the Oculus team appreciates the gesture.

If you want Minecraft VR badly, push for Notch to make it available with Sony’s coming Project Morpheus or some other project that comes out of the woodwork. I’d say there’s a damn good chance that several players are going to enter the market now that Oculus is essentially dead in the water, making Sony the only real competition. Don’t try to drag the man down for standing up for what he believes in when the industry is running rampant with people that will sell themselves and others out if given enough cash.

#25 7 months ago
  26. Tormenter

@salarta

Resounding Applause. You have far more patience than I when dealing with such small minded opinion.

@_LarZen_

Actually it’s you that comes off as the immature prick, unable to see past the nose of your own narrow wants, to the bigger picture beyond.

#26 7 months ago
  27. lookingglass

Notch is embarrassing himself. Making Legos online does not make you the visionary of a generation. He’s a pouty kid, mad that his favorite band signed a record deal.

#27 7 months ago
  28. lookingglass

@salarta

As Notch continues to make Microsoft an Xbox One version of Minecraft.

Apparently this guy’s honor has a price tag.

#28 7 months ago
  29. salarta

@lookingglass Unless Notch said he would only support PC or wouldn’t support Microsoft or XBox One, there is absolutely nothing about his decision to make an XBox One version that says anything bad about him. You may not like it, but you not liking it doesn’t instantly make it into a black mark for him.

Regardless, Notch made Minecraft himself, managed to create his own company with the money he earned from his own hard work, and maintains that company. He didn’t eagerly rush to make a deal in three days with a company like Facebook or Zynga for them to buy his company or Minecraft out for some cash. So even if Notch made such claims as in the prior paragraph, which I highly doubt, it would still be nowhere near as bad as what the Oculus guys did.

Notch is only making deals for his product to get used on XBox One and many other platforms, including PS4. He still owns his product and company. The Oculus Rift guys, on the other hand, made a deal to sell their product and company to the highest bidder. They no longer own Oculus Rift, Facebook does. They are, effectively, Zuckerberg’s employees, and their supposed dreams are at his whim.

#29 7 months ago
  30. Dragon

While I don’t care whatever Notch does (its just one game, even if its Minecraft), Cliffy should have made his point across without sounding like an ass.

On that note, entitled nerds people bashing a group of guys for selling a company the guys themselves made, and chiding them for wanting to make a profit on tech they made.
    Makes me want to do this-

Oh, before anyone says “Kickstarter”, how much funding did they get from that?
    Answer – $2 million
    How much money they got from outside funding-
    Answer – $75 million
    How much Facebook paid them?
    Answer – $2 BILLION ( Fyi, 1000 million = 1 billion)
    How much most of teh internet guys paid?
    Answer – zilch/zero/shunya

Guess who feels most entitled?

#30 7 months ago
  31. salarta

@Dragon And what’s the likelihood that Oculus would’ve received much if ANY outside funding, including getting bought up by Facebook, if not for that first $2 million from Kickstarter?

Zero, zilch, nada.

It’s the people that supported them through Kickstarter that got them in the position to get the later money they did. That $2 billion NEVER WOULD’VE HAPPENED if not for the grassroots support of the very people that the Oculus Rift people decided they didn’t give a fuck about when making the deal. If they cared, they would’ve spent more time ensuring the deal is a good thing, and if possible (might not be due to legal), looked for a way to consult their community before making such a deal.

They completely disregarded the very people that got them into a position where they could make such a deal, and went with the worst possible match in the process. They may as well have said “Thanks for all the support, we couldn’t have done it without you, now fuck off.”

#31 7 months ago
  32. Dragon

@salarta,
    Thanks for proving my point that most people on teh “haters” list dont know where their rights end. I purposefully missed that point so that one of teh guys could point it out.
    Now, lets see the kickstarter page,

You know, you are probably right. None of the further investments that OR team got would have been possible without initial interest in the concept, helped by KS.
    So, then? The backers pre-paid for some stuff, they GOT IT (see the page). That was the only deal they paid for.
    ” If they cared, they would’ve spent more time ensuring the deal is a good thing, and if possible (might not be due to legal), looked for a way to consult their community before making such a deal.”
    Tell me, why should they consult with their customers who have already got what they paid for? They owe them nothing in material.
    And don’t tell me about morality. Because, you know, thinking about morality only sounds good on mouths of people (generally on teh internet) who will never earn that much.But, in that case, its more butthurt at someone getting rich.

“They completely disregarded the very people that got them into a position where they could make such a deal”
    Here is something for you-
    No one who matters cares. Why? Because no one cares about entitled nerds gamers. Show me a legal document which necessitates them “regarding” them.
    Hint – There is none. OR is owned by Luckey and crew, they can do whatever they want with their own company.
    Rather hilariously sad how people are supposed to ask teh internet on matter regarding their personal property.

“went with the worst possible match in the process.”
    oooooooh. Tell me about it. Show me some historic proof or data (sans hyperbole) which proves that Facebook is the worst match. Or is it just some knee jerk assessment?

#32 7 months ago
  33. Dragon

So much lol it isn’t even funny. Entitlement at its best.
    Thanks for the laugh.

#33 7 months ago
  34. Dragon

Personally though, I would have preferred them being bought by someone with proven hardware expertise and a good track record in introducing hardware to market, like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, MS, Samsung etc.
    Facebook seems an odd match, but discounting the acquisition from the start is just baseless.

#34 7 months ago
  35. salarta

@Dragon Congratulations on purposely missing a point that you didn’t miss at all!

It’s not about “rights.” It’s about trust. Nobody is claiming the Oculus guys weren’t in their legal rights to sell out to Facebook, but they did very much violate unspoken trust people had in them. Just like how if you painted something for someone and gave it to them, they can do what they want with it, but you’d never expect them to think that means “go ahead and burn it for your amusement.”

You’re deliberately interpreting the relationship between the Oculus guys and the community that was supporting them as a pure customer-business relationship. That’s how Facebook might want everyone to see things, but it’s not how they really were. The community is a COMMUNITY, and communities aren’t just a bunch of random people that got together to buy the same thing. It’s both sad and ironic that Facebook, a company created by forming and drawing in “communities” of people with social media, encourages such a lack of understanding of what a community is.

So in the end, the only people that matter in the world for this issue in your eyes are the people that have already exchanged money? Some philosophy. If that assessment is accurate, then I suggest you stay out of business.

Feel free to respond to this; depending on what you say, I may or may not reply.

#35 7 months ago
  36. Dragon

“It’s about trust.”
    Yeah, right. Its also about love and peace and brotherhood and so on.
    Do tell me how much you invested in OR project. Something tells me its zero. And fyi, there are lot of backers that completely understand that OR completely fulfilled their part of the deal and dont care or are happy with FB deal.

“Some philosophy. If that assessment is accurate, then I suggest you stay out of business.”
    Do tell me your rich history in business based on trust, community and so on. Keep romanticizing.
    You really think OR guys should have consulted 1000s of KS backers on what to do with their company?
    Also, you don’t use FB, no?

Depending on what you say, I may or may not feel the urge to bang my head on a wall.

#36 7 months ago
  37. Tormenter

@lookingglass

Tell me why your MS comment is relevent to ANYTHING being said here.

Because companies?…. You’re missing the entire point.

#37 7 months ago
  38. DarkElfa

@Tormenter Oh, I’m sorry my point of view isn’t your point of view , you turd burglar.

#38 7 months ago
  39. DarkElfa

@lookingglass How DARE you have a different opinion than Tormenter!!

Now you ARE an idiot.

#39 7 months ago
  40. DarkElfa

@Dragon BTW Dragon, the word “Entitled” means “having a right to something”. You keep misusing the word like Fox News keeps misusing the word.

“Entitled” does not mean “Feeling like you have a right to something you don’t”. That’s called “Mistaken”.

#40 7 months ago
  41. antraxsuicide

Notch throwing out the idea of “free Minecraft” is just him trying to lie his way out of this. I have no doubt that he’s never entertained the idea.

As for this decision: Notch is a child. Always has been, always will be (probably). He hit the jackpot, but that doesn’t make him a genius.

#41 7 months ago