inFamous: Second Son boosts PS4 hardware sales by 106% – report

Monday, 24th March 2014 19:50 GMT By Sherif Saed

inFamous Second Son was released last week and it’s already topping the charts. Now, a report claims the release of the open-world actioner helped boost the PS4 hardware sales by 106%.

MCVUK cites a ” trusted retail source” in saying that hardware sales of PlayStation 4 units jumped 106% with the release of inFamous: Second Son.

If this true, it would prove to be higher than last week’s Xbox One boost with the release of Titanfall, which was up 96%.

Battle of the percentages, eh?

1. jmg24bad

Good more consoles out. The more games we can get

#1 7 months ago
  2. salarta

The game’s really fun, plenty worth the money. It’s also decidedly not a shooter, which I think is a genre that’s beginning to wear out its welcome for non-casual gamers. This makes the PS4 more attractive because it suggests a variety of games, whereas Titanfall suggests the XBox One will be primarily shooter games.

#2 7 months ago
  3. Hcw87

Not sure if serious.

Console 1. Forza+Ryse+Dead Rising 3+Titanfall+LocoCycle

Console 2. Killzone+Knack+Infamous+Indies

Neither of those consoles seem to scream shooter to me. They both have 1 shooter each.

#3 7 months ago
  4. MFBB

They could sell way more but PS4 is sold out everywhere here in Germany.

You can only get one if you are willing to pay 500-900€ compared to the 399€ Sony price.

Look at this Sony and send some consoles.

Funny gif from the launch day…running past the Xbone (no one gives a shit) to buy a PS4

#4 7 months ago
  5. salarta

@Hcw87 I didn’t say Microsoft only offers shooters. I said Titanfall sends the message that it’ll only offer shooters. That’s an important distinction.

As for game content itself, the indies are more important than Forza, LocoCycle or Ryse. They may suggest the system has variety, but then the Wii U has a variety of games too, and nobody’s rushing to buy that either. The important thing is that variety coming with quality.

@MFBB Funny, but the Sony sign is blatantly shopped. That does look like an XBox One booth, though, as best as I can tell, so it still shows lack of interest in the XBox One among that crowd.

#5 7 months ago
  6. Panthro

@salarta

There is actual Sony signs to the left of the Microsoft booth though; tall and blue, they dont look photoshopped I think he might have just added that PS4 roof one to make it more clear. The picture is hilarious though, I love Don Mattrick up on that screen.

#6 7 months ago
  7. Panthro

@salarta

I actually agree, the way MS is heading with the games it just looks totally casual (not that there is anything wrong with that, people like what they like) with the massive promotions for Fifa and CoD, Ryse and Forza… It’s all just ughh for me, I feel like a prick saying this but I think I’ve matured passed the ‘cinematic hand holding’ type of game at this point, I used to looove those types of games, now they are everywhere and just feel generic.

If I HAD to buy one for myself to use (Family one in the living room doesn’t count as it’s basically my little sisters) I would go with a PS4 just for the indie games.

Shit like Dark Souls, Papers Please, FTL, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, XCOM, Arma, Hotline Miami etc etc soaks my panties at this point.

#7 7 months ago
  8. Hcw87

I just don’t get that logic, that’s all.

It’s like saying PS4 will only offer shooters because of Killzone being a launch title.

#8 7 months ago
  9. salarta

@Panthro That could be the case, but for now I’m choosing to believe it’s for something else, like a Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone that the group is rushing to get it. I’d suggest Wii U but I’d have to exile myself from the internet for making such an outlandish claim. :P

Microsoft is trying to cater to the casual crowd, but the problem is, the casual crowd isn’t the crowd that pays $500 for a system with hardly any games on it and its biggest features not activated yet. Catering to the casual crowd is something that can be done with a lower price, a wider selection of games of actual interest, and time. Microsoft only dominated the prior generation because they released well in advance of the competition and provided the first truly useful online capability of the consoles. Microsoft lost those advantages when Sony announced first, and they lost a lot of their base with their forced Kinect and original DRM plans.

@Hcw87 Microsoft has a reputation for shooters on XBox. “13 year olds playing Call of Duty on 360″ is a stereotype associated with XBox. Titanfall is the company’s highest profile game, and surprise, it’s a shooter. As a result, it suggests the XBox One is still first and foremost about shooters. In contrast, inFAMOUS: Second Son, as well as the huge indie push, say that the PS4 isn’t dedicated mainly to one genre, but is open to all kinds of genres, including ones that may not even exist yet.

Even if the indies sucked, which they don’t, it still sends the message that Sony has more variety to offer.

#9 7 months ago
  10. Panthro

@salarta

Haha look to the left of Don Mattrick, there is a PS4 branded TV for display purposes, and then watch closely at what they are all grabbing, you can see they are picking up PS4 boxes ;)

Eyes like a hawk!

#10 7 months ago
  11. Panthro

@Salarta

I wouldn’t say Xbox caters to 13 year old’s if I was you, they might get upset and send you and your family some death threats tehe.

#11 7 months ago
  12. infernalism

@salarta
    MS did not dominate last gen as you’ve said. They started off with a lead, and held on to it until the later stages of that generation, and it pretty much ended with a tie (MS seemed to sell software a little better though, and they charged for online, which made them money as well). That is far from domination though, when PS3 sold more consoles worldwide. The perception of MS dominating comes from how much of a lead the Playstation brand had over xbox after PS2, and how much of it was flushed down the toilet with the successor of that console…and from the disparity in sales in America and the UK (meaning, it’s a predominantly an american and british POV). No domination for the 360 though, especially towards the end.

#12 7 months ago
  13. dsr

@infernalism
    PS3 was released later, costed more and still sold almost as many millions as 360.
    Its hardly a domination. If anything, PS3 “won” because they sold more consoles per year.

#13 7 months ago