Dark Souls 2 visual downgrade claims discussed by From Software

Wednesday, 19th March 2014 09:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Dark Souls 2 developer From Software has stepped forward to address backlash over its alleged downgrading of the RPG’s visuals, following claims that the studio made the game look better than it does in trailers and screenshots.

It follows my video guide to Dark Souls 2′s version of Blighttown. It’s called The Gutter, and it’s quite perilous.

In a statement to MCV, a From Software rep addressed the downgrade matter by saying, “Throughout the game development process, a game is constantly being balanced not only in game playability, but also in the realm of resource management.

“A developer is always challenged with creating the most rewarding gaming experience while delivering continuity in graphical quality, gameplay dynamics, and balance within the game. The final version of Dark Souls II displays the culmination of this delicate balance and we’re very proud of the positive media and fan reception for the game.”

What do you make of the Dark Souls 2 downgrade issue? Let us know below.

1. Gekidami

Looking at this video, i’m not really seeing it for the most part. The only bits that looked better back in April 13 were the bit where he looks down off of the stone bridge (the floor was more detailed) and the touch in the older footage seems to have particle effects that arent in the the final build. Other than that the changes seem more esthetic than anything else. The bit where he walks along that giant sword looks better in the final build.

Seems after Watch Dogs, people are going a bit “downgrade” mad.

#1 5 months ago
  2. frostface

I do think that the first Dark Soul’s looks so much prettier. But really I don’t care enough because I’ve adjusted to the down grade and I’m way too focused on the game play which is awesome.

#2 5 months ago
  3. MFBB

There are big changes in graphics like that: http://i.minus.com/i3i2R2WWxhYry.gif

I understand people getting mad, looks a lot worse than what they have shown us in the last years until release.

I am still hoping the PC version gets all those graphic features back.

#3 5 months ago
  4. YoungZer0

Not going to lie, the better graphics were one of the reasons why I wanted to buy the game. Now I’m waiting for the PC version. I doubt it will look like the E3 presentation, but at least you can mod it with ENB and SweetFX.

Right now, it looks horrendous.
    I feel they missed a huge opportunity here, as the lighting in the previous version gave the world so much more atmosphere and depth. Currently everything looks bland, as if the sun was positioned everywhere, so everything would be equally lit.

#4 5 months ago
  5. polygem

these games have always been about artwork > graphics and in the artwork department it can´t get much better than this if you ask me.
    i think the pc version will look much better though.
    i have been playing through dark souls on pc again and i am well into my ng+ now with the dsfix installed and the game looks FANTASTIC. if ds2 will look like that on pc and i bet it will, i am more than happy.
    i played dark souls first on ps3 and while it looks much better on the pc with the mods installed it still is an outstanding game no matter the platform.

#5 5 months ago