South Park: “we did not censor or edit the game in any shape or form,” says ratings body

Thursday, 27th February 2014 15:19 GMT By Dave Cook

South Park: The Stick of Truth has been censored in Europe, the UK and other regions, in a move determined by Ubisoft’s own marketing team. We went straight to the ratings body that advises PEGI standards, to find that it had no problem with the cut scenes.

southpark-nazis

“PEGI does not have the ability to censor video games, nor has it ever done so. It is highly likely that only the developer themselves would intervene to make any changes”

We reported on the censored South Park scenes yesterday, which involve five counts of anal probing and two abortion scenes. The German edition also has Nazi swastikas removed in accordance with the nation’s law.

Speaking with VG247 over email, a Video Standards rep explained the fine details of its South Park: The Stick of Truth appraisal.

“The game was assessed by us and deemed acceptable for a PEGI 18 rating,” the rep began. “For some games released in the UK, we are obliged to consider UK legislation as it currently affects video games (the Video Recordings Act 2010.) This consideration applies to games which are likely to attain a PEGI 12, 16 or 18 rating and which may contain potentially harmful or illegal material. As there was no such issue with the game, it was duly given its PEGI 18.

“Let me emphasise that we did not censor or edit the game in any shape or form.”

“PEGI does not have the ability to censor video games,” they stressed, “nor has it ever done so. It is highly likely that only the developer themselves would intervene to make any changes.

“As far as Ubisoft is concerned, all we know is that at some point a decision was made to change the game content for their own marketing reasons. Those reasons are not something that we are privy too, so we are not able to give you any further details.”

We are currently playing the game to form our final impressions and we have witness the censored scenes in question. We’re under embargo until next week so we will have more on the cut content once we’re able to discuss it.

What’s your view on Ubisoft’s decision to censor the game? Let us know below.

1. Sylrissa

My view on it, is that I won’t be buying it anymore, I refuse to support censorship which is a shame since it looks quite fun, and really feels like an interactive south park episode, they really nailed it in that way.

#1 8 months ago
  2. Michael Ireland

It’ll be interesting to discover why they choose to censor them. Seems like a strange decision considering this sort of thing is allowed on the TV show all the time.

I honestly couldn’t give a crap about this censorship though. If it was something of actual merit being censored, I might give a damn, but it’s a bunch of stupid and juvenile jokes that stop being funny when I was about 10.

#2 8 months ago
  3. Dog4life

@Sil : i think the game is still worth to buy and will be a blast.

it’s a shame about censorship, but in the end will be only very little part compared to the whole game.

#3 8 months ago
  4. Rockstar Vienna

Youth protection is one thing… But censorship is just dumb.

#4 8 months ago
  5. kingy

It’s going to be sick cartman anal probe and abautions truth DLC , trust me

#5 8 months ago
  6. TheKeyPit

‚ÄúPEGI does not have the ability to censor video games..”. The same goes for the USK in germany. The USK has stated recently that they want to treat videogames as art in the future. This would make nazi swastikas possible in future games or could have started with this south park game, but Ubisoft is going the easy/safe way by removing all that stuff to get a fast age-rating in germany.

PS: Our history channels in germany are full of world war 2 -stuff. Nazi symbols at 2pm that children can see. So why not allow them in videogames? That’s one reason why the USK wants to change their vision on future games.

#6 8 months ago
  7. Sylrissa

@Dog4life I probably still will, next year or whenever it hits the bargain bin sale of 75% off. but not at full price anymore.

It’s not a case of what was censored but the act of censoring itself, R18+ rated games shouldn’t be censored.

#7 8 months ago
  8. fearmonkey

I just love it when someone else decides they what I should or should not see. It might affect my poor wittle mind……. I don’t know how people in Australia cope, I would have a tough time with that.

#8 8 months ago
  9. Dave Cook

@Sylrissa My advice: don’t boycott. You’ll be missing out big time. My final impressions drop next week. I an’t say more until then.

#9 8 months ago
  10. Legendaryboss

#10 8 months ago
  11. Legendaryboss

@Dave Cook Tease us and leave us hanging, how dare you!

#11 8 months ago
  12. marioporfirio

@Michael Ireland There’s no merit in any type censorship!!!!

#12 8 months ago
  13. treeroy

This represents a lack of trust and belief from Ubisoft in what Obsidian is making, which is concerning. South Park has always been about making immature controversial jokes about serious topics, and to have them censor it is odd, to say the least.
    I can see them perhaps worrying that abortion jokes could make bad press (a strange concern given what game it is), but anal probing is just strange. That’s not even offensive to anyone, it’s just a bit gross.

At the end of the day, a publisher should understand and appreciate what they’re backing, and I’m not confident that Ubisoft is doing this.

#13 8 months ago
  14. treeroy

@TheKeyPit it’s not about censoring swastikas, it’s about making Nazi/Holocaust jokes, which is illegal in Germany (as well as other areas of Europe)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial#Germany

#14 8 months ago
  15. POOhead

ubisoft seriously try too hard to be liked and not offend people other then Christians cause they have learned to take jokes since life of brian

#15 8 months ago